Posts by CarloLf

Just read elsewhere about a rig. Some user complained he has only the distorted rig of an amp and would like to have the clean version. So my question is this: to get the rig as a clean one, is it not enough to just turn the gain down and maybe tweak some things on the amp settings? And why do many profiles of an amp come with so much versions, from clean to heavy gain?

After all, it should be the same amp. Of course I understand, if an amp has two or more channels, this makes differences. And the question can be widend: what are the true secrets of creating a good profile?:/

I suggest you use current manuals in order to avoid such confusions.

Thanks to these hints. I mostly used the Main Manual, but could not find this paragraph until now:) at page 258. I did not see and read it because it is assigned to the main chapter "Profiler REMOTE" and I have a Stage. At these places, the manual should and could be organized better.

Say, you have already one effect assigned to a stomp, then it is possible to add another effect to that same stomp. Just press and hold the second effect button and then press the stomp button.

But wait, I discovered but cannot not really reproduce the possible combinations:

- the stomp always has one effect ON. You can switch between the effects, but you cannot make both of them OFF.

- when pressing the stomp , both effects switch between ON/OFF

- One effect is ON, and when pressing the stomp, the other effect also will go ON or OFF.

This is what I saw, but I cannot reproduce how you can achieve these different behaviours. Anyone here who knows the exact logic here with the effect assignments on a stomp?

While my "Cream" Amp "JTA-45" is just some nice clone of a Marshall JTM-45, you might do a trial with my self created profiles (low gain) uploaded into RigExchange. Search for "Cream JTA-45".

in my experience switching guitars and / or pickups can make huge differences in what you hear. But also, sometimes I got the impression, this does not really count. It is the profile you use: some are really shining with Strat / single coil, some are better used with humbuckers. Some are so dumb, that this does not really care. And others sound equally good (but different), no matter what guitar you plugin.

I nearly always notice that most profiles on RigExchange come with very low volume on Rig volume and also on Amp level volume. So if I want to evaluate the sound they promote, I always need to push the Amp volume to a much higher level, and sometimes I also push the Rig volume. (My Master volume/Monitor out is at -12db.) Many of these profiles are low or at most mid gain. Ok, and there are other profiles with high gain, which to me sound loud, noisy and ugly. This impression I also had on commercial profiles I bought. I do not hear a special amp, but very artificial sounding profiles. So with those, the first thing I do: way down with the gain level, up with the amp volume, and then the profile begins to shine.

And then today I had another dubious experience. I came to the "Peavy 6534+ Clean" profile. It comes with an Amp volume at 12db(!), Rig volume at 1.1db. To make it loud enough, I changed the Rig volume to 7.5 db. On the other profile "Peavy 6534+ Crunch" from the same author, the Amp volume is at 0.0 db, Rig volume at 2.2db. I also changed the Amp volume to 7.5db to make it sound good to me.

So, while there is always a strong subjective factor evaluating, enjoying or disgusting a profile, the whole thing I am wondering: why do the authors of a profile make so much differences with their delivered settings? Is there some thing like good practices when making profiles?

And on the other hand, as a user of a profile: is there some recommended way for setting up the volume? At rig level? at amp level? On output level?