Posts by barryhugo33

Another update.... so ive received the kone and celestion now. Had the day off to try them both since around 10am eastern time... im tired, have played all day basically! Also note that they havent broken in yet. There are less than 3 hours on these speakers. Maybe that makes a difference once broken in???

First of all, This is a review of MY findings and my opinion. Take it or leave it.

-celestion f12 x200

As i mentioned before. I had a tough time dialing in a tone. I used the top jimi vhii profile most of the time for both of these comparisons.

Using the kemper kone mode with monitor cab selected off-selected, I got a nice sound but it was very fizzy. I adjusted the eq settings, added an eq still no joy. I just couldnt get a good tone that I liked. I tried it with monitor cab off deselected so now its a full range style-no thanx didnt like it. Just didnt sound like an amp in the room to me.

kone-the exact same as above. Couldnt dial in anything to my taste. Just sounded way too fizzy and too digital. Again, I know this is a digital device but, slight disappointment.

All in all, i think I will be sticking with my mesa cab stock from now with my v30’s. It sounds way more pleasing to my ears and sounds and feels like I am playing through a real amp in the room which is what I was trying to achieve before.

Ive tried frfr in the past and it didnt work for me then, this was a test to see if it would sound better in a real cab, alas! No... still not my cup of tea.

I will stick to my real cabs n speakers for now. Was a fun but tiring test.

Update....

ive figured out the “settings” for the speakers as mentioned before. Now Im trying to dial in a useable tone that I had when using my normal cab speakers. Im finding them too fizzy.

my favorite profile before was the top jimi -vhii profile. I had it dialed in and sounded great. Now its super fizz! These are the settings i used on the output tab....

kemper kone tab - on

Monitor out cab off - on

basically this is removing the cab from the studio profile and inserting the greenback imprint. Sounds ok but still has a lot of fizzyness.

when I turn monitor out cab - off, so essentially it is now full range and using the entire studio profile, it jus sound blah.... no punch which is what is correct in thinking that its not “amp in the room” feel.

Ive played a bit with the eq settings on the amp and other settings but I am not feeling like Wow yet.

Work in progress.....

Update....

im still waiting for my kone to arrive but I have the f12 x200 installed. Im a bit confused with the settings on the kemper but so far it sounds pretty good. Definately have the amp in the room feel with just one speaker in the cab. ?

Do it man! Should be awesome. Im looking forward to it

So an update.... after some research n such.... ive bought a kone and a celestion f12 x200.

I hope to compare them and figure out which one is best for me. The celestion is available around the corner from me so I figured I would try it out as well. From the reviews and YT, it sounds like a good alternative to the kone even though some places say the kone is a rebadged f12 x200. I also like the fact that it is 8 ohms so it will push my amp a bit harder.

Plus its $100 cheaper. ?

I always use an eq in the output section. Definately helps a lot. I have about 200 different profiles of the Jubilee and they all sound different. Sometimes what you hear on yt is not what you get unfortunately. However adding the graphic eq in the output section helps... a lot!

Welcome and keep going!

welcome! I was and kinda still am a big tube amp guy but this kemper just blows me away every time I play. Versatility and less space is key for me. I have profiled all my amps and the are sounding great on my Kemp.

Enjoy and enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole! :)

yup, just plug "monitor out" from the kemper into the return of the Peavey amp. This will over ride the preamp section of the peavey and just use the power section of the amp

Also select "monitor cab off" in the output section of the Kemper and you should be set.

I know this is not kemper related and I apologize. But I feel the need to vent.

Ive had my Matrix now for about a week (Bought brand new.). It worked well playing at low volume at home like I normally use it. I run it in parallel mode with an 8 ohm In ch a and 16ohm cab on ch b. This was researched and I asked matrix if it was ok. They said it shouldnt cause any issues.

After playing a bit today, it sounded great, again not too loud like i normally play ( i live in a townhouse) I turned it off and tried turning it on again a few minutes later and nothing.... just dead!

the only thing happening is there is an LED flashing every second inside the amp. Making me think its some kind of error code or something. Ive emailed matrix and asked for assistance, still waiting fir a response.

anyone seen this before?

Needless to say, Im not very happy. ?

Ive used the power section of my EVH 5150 el 34 50w and it sounded awesome. Ive also tried/have a mooer baby bomb which is also fine but in a band setting it may get a bit lost in the mix. Currently I have a matrix gt800 which is VERY neutral and with enough tweaking, can sound very close to the Fryette 2902 which I borrowed from a friend to test.

The up side to the Matrix is the weight and less maintenance ( no tubes to change) and it sounds fantastic when dialed in properly. Im getting the ooomph of tubes as well with this setup and Im also using a 2x12 mostly.

Hope this helps a bit.