Posts by gtrbldr

Well, figured it out. Wasn't the tube, it was my treble knob. Definition result is very responsive to the setting of the treble knob, which puzzles me. The tone stack is situated after the preamp circuit. So it has no bearing on the gain characteristics, which is what the definition is about. According to the manual. The power tubes cook nicely (el84. :-)), but less than the vox side of the amp and that one is hit with a lot more treble content, but results in lower definition settings.

Anyway, profiles came out a lot nicer after backing off the treble, which is a plus. The nasty honk is gone, but the amp itself sounds a little better with higher treble settings and has no honk there. Guess I have to compensate with the KPA EQ and the kemper is not perfect (#ducks#stilllovemykemper) ;)

No, the profiles are through a loadbox and IR. So all things considered the same conditions. If I profile the vox side I get very consistent results with earlier attempts. This side has a completely separate preamp circuit, so I could compare if something else was amiss

I am in the fortunate situation that I have some nice NOS or ANOS preamp tubes for my Mesa TA15. I used to run a Philips 1965 i65 (Heerlen) in the Marshall side of the amp and the profiles wit loadbox and IR were around 6. Felt right.

I swapped the i65 for a 1960 Valvo (Hamburg, i60 type, 45° getter) and it sounds great in the amp. Nice breakup, clear, a little sweeter than the Philips etc, however, the Kemper consistently profiles the amp "wrong". It does not sounds off, has a definition of 10 (does not feel right), despite refining the heck out of it. It sounds nasally and I am puzzled.

Any ideas what went wrong?

I don't, however for services in other churche (guest performance) our team receiver compensation. I don't play in those services and have no Idea how much that is. Sunday services (pre corona) were 4500 attendants, so that is a lot of fun to do. No need for me to get paid; it is great to do these gigs :)

It is only 'cool' for the break up kind of sounds. The 'pad' kind of thing. Reason is simple: you don't need to pick so many notes to keep it full. It's not my kind of thing, but serves as purpose. More driven sounds with the wash thing don't work IMO.

Thanks goodness we use a lot of these tones :-p

10k and up. Fizz is natural when micing an amp. IT helps to cut trough a mix. Good profiles don't need much cut anyway, because they sound natural..

I have been playing in that scene for some yrs now. Used a Hx for 3 years and started using a Kemper a year ago (Just Kemper and remote). No comparison IMO, especially after the added Kemper Drive on the last firmware. The drives were the last stronghold of the Hx, a gap that kemper nearly closed.

I still have an HX stomp as backup and that is all it is for me: a nice and portable backup. The latest firmware die nothing for the sound, only gave it 2 additional blocks (and some amps and fx) which made the stomp a lot more usable for me.

yes different mics thats the point

if he uses the fathead like in the last comet profile pack all is good

but when the fathead is not used the profiles aren't as good as with fathead

Also the 545 is not doing it for me.

And for the record, I only have his C30 profilers in my kemper

In general this seems to happen in his offerings, at least to my ears. Low end not fitting a mix (too little or boomy), nasal mids, strange highs, muffled. May be my taste, but since about a year something is different. Coincidentally this coincides with whenhe moment he started to experiment with different mics...

Have the pack as well and like it a lot, especially the M profiles. Funny enough, these are single mics, Shure 545. The other profiles are Royer 121+545.

Does anybody else thinks that - since HW started to use the 121 for profiles, there is a weird polish/sheen to the profiles, while the fathead profiles were more open sounding? The M profiles have this openness as well. The H don't

Welcome to the forum! As for uploading someone tweaked profiles originated by someone else, I think it's acceptable. I know that I'd be flattered if someone did that with one of mine.

I doubt that will be the case with commercial profiles, as the Tonehawk profiles are. I at least would advice against it.

Noticed both as well. I actually only buy profiles for the stack, the rest of the rig will always be disgarded: I make a clean profile with only the amp stack I like and store that in the Kemper. I can dial in my own effects, thank you very much ;-).

However: I have a commercial compressor preset I use: that of MBritt. As far as I know his comp settings are consistent in the profiles and are more subtle than TJ. I read somewhere that he knows his compressorstuff and that kind of stuck with me, autority arguments sometimes Work. Anyway: I only use it for sustain in lead presets and clean squash for single notes