Posts by gtrbldr

My approach is: one performance per song and I use the same basic performance for each song and make minor tweaks from there (little more or less delay, a different time signature in the delay etc). You can set the bpm for each performance.

However, I have not found a way for global adjustments across performances for amp profile parameters like gain and volume. Until the editor is out (for me: not until it is out of beta) You have to do that on the profiler, for each slot in the performance. the most efficient way to my experience is to create a rig with the desired profile settings in your library and copy that into each of the desired amp slots of the performances you want to change.

I think I might have a different definition for detail than audio engineers ;-). For me it is like HD vs 4K etc. Maybe complexity might be a better term for my idea about detail? For example I have heard clips that sounded more or less the same in terms of overall sound between modellers, but the differente was the amount of complecity on low strings, or in harmonic content/overtones.

Anyway, thanks for the insights everyone, really helps!

thanks gentlemen. By the way: I understand the impact of the placement and choices of microphones and that they have a huge influence. It is one of the reasons I quit using miked up tube amps on stage and went digital years ago.

So if I understand it correctly: only the EQ curve of the microphone translates into the profile, other aspects like detail etc do not? So that should mean the detail in the produced guitar tone comes from the profiler and not from the profile. The reason behind the question was my observation that (in video and sound clips) the kemper seems to have a level of detail in the sound that I have not found in my Helix. As a matter of fact: that is what turned me over to the green side.

A thought that occured to me last night was that dynamic response might have an influence as well, but how that translates is a question for another day.

I have been a happy owner of a kemper head now for some months after using a Helix and Atomic Amplifire for some years. Great products - and I still own my Helix - but let’s say I have not used them since getting the Kemper.

Lately I have been wondering about the influence of microphones on a profile and hopefully someone here has a/the answer. When miking up a cabinet, the nature and quality as well as the placement have huge impact on the captured tone: both in terms of frequency response as in detail. A Royer 121 for exemple has a reputation for great nuances in the projection, more so than the more affordable, but also populair ribbon mike offerings like a fathead.

Many (commercial) profiles I have and use are made with a Cascade Fathead II (and the sm57), and that got me wondering: how does the quality of the ribbon mike used affect the amount of detail in the profile? Does the profile only store the frequency response, or is there more to it? Can someone elaborate on that?

Not really.... I've never nèeded support from Microsoft, and I rarely ever install their updates.

I think it's more likely Microsoft has learned Google, Facebook, et al's model.... give it away so that you can spy on your users and sell their personal information. And now that they can install their updates on your system whenever they feel like it, they can push out any new surveilance software they develop without your consent or knowledge.

or it is cheaper for them to maintain and support one OS. Besides that, by giving away free update from 7 to 10 you do not lose sales (who buys a new OS for an old machine?) they bind customers to their ecosystem: because who doesn’t like a company that gives away firmware updates for free? ;)

Awesome!! Great news!

I’m not too comfortable with software, so I am going to wait for the release of the (by lack of a better discription) stable version, but the screenshots look promising and I am stoked about the reported IR functionality.