Posts by iperry

The only effect in the FX loop is the Strymon Big Sky reverb. The FX Loop is in the MOD section. However, the issue occurs even when I short the loop with a patch cable.

Good to know on the Clean Sense. Like you say, I must be being fooled by the change in volume.

Thanks, I tried that and it does solve the clipping but it also slightly messes with the overall tone of patches that aren't totally clean.

What seems to work is to do a bit more menu diving and find the 'Volume' control in the Amplifier menu (last page). By reducing this to -6dB, I can solve the issue wihtout changing the tone (to my ear at least). Plus this works on all patches.

I'm surprised though that a clipping event in the FX loop is somehow caused by the Amp model even when the input and output clipping indicators are both 'green'. I guess the issue is just that clean or 'cleanish' profiles dont introduce much compression so the signal level after the amp model can clip even if the input and final output levels are okay?

Either way, no biggie to fix once you know which dial to turn :)

For some profiles, I get really nasty digital clipping when the effects loop is enabled. This is particularly prevalent when using clean profiles with a dirt pedal in front. The input level indicator is always green.

Things I've tried:

1. Disable the pedal that is in the loop (Strymon Big Sky) - Still get clipping

2. Remove pedal and simply short send and return via a cable - Still get clipping

3. Disable effects loop in Kemper (in the Mod slot) - Clipping is resolved

4. Turn down input signal using a clean boost pedal as a clean cut pedal before the amp - Clipping is resolved

While 4 'works' as a solution, it is annoying as every time is tweak the dirt pedal for a bit more level, the clipping comes back.

I have seen other posts on this but no actual resolution. Is this just a hardware issue with the Kemper?

Like many people I've had mixed success with my profiling attempts. Some have been great others a bit disappointing. Really the issue comes down to my ability to mic the amp/cab. Aside from my own limited mic placement skills, in an ordinary house with an SM57 and a pressure zone mic there's probably a limit to what I can expect to achieve.

Recently though I moved away from my FRFR speaker and bought a Kemper Kone which I've mounted in a theile cab. I'm really pleased with it.

Since I'm now using something a lot more like a 'real cab' could I try profiling the electrical output of an amplifier (via a suitable high voltage DI box) instead of mic'ing the amp? Obviously this would not give great results from the main outputs but would I expect the Kemper Kone (and it's associated magic) to compensate for the lack of speaker/cab in the resulting profile?

Thanks,

Thanks! I knew I'd read something about that but just couldn't find it in the manual. I'd been looking at the effects loop section of the manual.....

So basically, the Delay and Reverb slots have additional features to them in terms of routing that are adopted by the effects loop if it is dropped into those slots.

Cheers,

ip

Interesting, if I place the effects loop in the 'delay' slot, I get a fairly quiet effect and it appears to be hooked up 'in parallel' with the main signal. So, setting the delay to produce only its 'wet' output gives both the original and delayed notes in my headphones.

If I move the effects loop to the 'X' location I get a really loud effect return and, here's the bit I did not expect, the effect is now in series with the main signal path. So, if I set the delay to produce only its 'wet' output, that is all I get.

I don't really have an issue with this but just didn't realise the effects loop is treated differently depending on which slot it i placed in.

So, I'm lucky enough to have a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal that I would like to use with my Kemper. However, when I use it (or indeed any other delay/reverb etc pedal) in the effects loop of my Kemper head (stereo return) I find that the effect is quiet. Even with the mix set to it's full level on the Kemper and pedal, the result is quite subtle at the Kemper output.

I certainly can't get enough of the reverb in the mix to create large 'wash' reverb effects.

Has anyone else found this?

Cheers ip

Someone else reported the same issue (knobs not moving via mouse input on 10.12) via the official bug report form but I'll add your post there, this makes it more likely that it is a general problem on that OS... We'll look into it

Thanks! Stupid questions:

1. Where is the official bug report form?

2. Any likelyhood that things might improve if I run an update on my Mac OS? I try not to do this too often as it is pretty old now and still running stable. RM3 seems worth a punt though.

Cheers,

iperry

Really basic issue for me. Running latest RM and OS on a mac mini 10.12.

Everything loads up fine and I can select diferent stomps etc in the signal flow. All good until.... I can't move any of the knobs on the user interface. When I click on one, the mouse pointer disappears but no amount of moving the mouse has any effect on the position of the knob.

If I physically turn the knob on the Kemper itself, the knob shown in the user interface moves with it but I can't move it via the mouse.

Anyone seen anything like this?

On a more general note, is there an official location to provide Beta release feedback?

Cheers,

iperry

That's really helpful, thanks!

It does seem that the enthusiasm for the venerable DXR10 tailed off a little after the HR112 came out. From what you are saying, it sounds like it may be of similar quality/character for less money.

In that case, maybe I already have as decent a speaker as I'm likely to find without springing for a CLR.

That said, I do see a lot of love for the two HR108 setup at the moment.....

I think the greater amount of high-mid energy in a cranked tone masks some of the boominess. It's still there but less objectionable.

For example there's a Cream tone by TAF that comes with the factory rigs (sunshine of your love type tone) that I'd say is low gain . Sounds epic in headphones or through my monitor speakers but is awful through the HR112.

I totally agree it will be a speaker/room interaction thing but I'm guessing some speakers my be less prone to this.

Boominess aside though, I do feel that there is a slightly scooped tone to the HR112 that detracts from the 'amp in the room' tone. Wondering if the DXR might be better in that regard.

Cheers

It's a big room but it's in the loft space (pitched ceilings) so hard to keep the speaker out of corners. This will undoubtedly be contributing to the issue but I'm wondering if the HR112 might be a tad bass heavy in the first place. Certainly my old 2x12" cabinet never had this much boominess in the same location.

To be more specific, the higher gain tones aren't so bad but low/medium gain tones just seem to have way to much boom/bloom about them and become very muddy with poor definition (I've tried playing with the definition knob, just in case you're wondering).

Obviously tons of great reviews on the DXR10 for Kemper but a lot of these are a few years old (prior to the HR112 release). I'm curious whether the anyone has compared them directly. Maybe the HR112 is genuinely similar to the DXR10. In that case, as you say, possibly the HR108 would be my better choice.

Thanks,

I know this stuff gets talked to death but I haven't been able to find a direct comparison of these two speakers.

I actually have the HR112 which I bought in a pinch for a gig. I have never really loved it though, especially at home where it sounds very boomy. I also find it is just a smidge scooped so misses out on some critical mid frequencies. To get the best out of it I need to dial the master bass control on my Kemper way down. This fixes the boominess but also leaves the tone a bit guttless.

Does anyone have any experience of the dxr10 Vs the HR112? Any thoughts on whether it might work better?

FYI, I also had a Laney IRT-x which, I think, sounded more natural than the HR112 but which didn't quite hold up at band volumes.

Cheers.