Posts by silvioherrmann

I'm also happy that my GAS about amps and pedals is fully gone thanks to Kemper... I even like the tube screemer in the Kemper better than I ever liked it in real ?(

and the soft shaper - not sure if there is a pedal like this - is one of my favorites!

But... GAS for guitars, acoustics and electrics is still a struggle ;)

Well I'm no scientist but wouldn't that be up to your ears? Which do you like better or does a blend of both sound good? I'm swapping out my 30's for Kones in hopes that I achieve more clarity and definition especially in the high gain profiles. I will be installing kones real ssoon.

Please keep us posted

My intention is to be more flexible. Experimenting with my Kabinet I can say that if I only needed a good V30 sound, I would stick with the V30s. Anyway, the Kone gets pretty close to the real V30 in my opinion.

For me the really interesting thing is to be able to sound good with high gain and then switch to a Fender Bassman sound for example. So you just have to swap the guitars and you can go immediately from Metal sounds to Rockabilly for example.

And sometimes for my ears some Profiles sound best without imprints, just leaving it with the original profiled speaker.

I'm also looking forward to try how 2x12 Kone sounds for Bassamp Profiles

Well, to conclude this very long and informative thread, I purchased 2 Kone speakers for my 2x12 Marshall cab and can't wait to install them and see whats up. Wasn't entirely pleased with the sound of the stage running through the Celestion 30w's so I am excited that the true tone of the rigs will be there.

:):thumbup:
    I'll do the same in about 2 weeks. I'll put 2 Kones in a Marshall 2x12 Cabinet. I'll keep you posted.

Yesterday on a rainy Sunday afternoon I thought I’d check out some guitar amp plugins to compare them with the Kemper. Fortunately there are free trial versions to download so it’s not an expensive task.

First I downloaded the Amplitube 5 and then the Helix Native.

Amplitube 5 was not bad but no match for the Kemper. I really did not like Helix Native for slightly overdriven sounds, there is a strange fizzling sound when the guitar tone fades away (same I experienced when I tried the Helix Stomp). It has a lot of possibilities and options but for me it does not sound natural at all.

After that I tried the plugin in my DAW for the first time. I’m using Studio One 4.6 which has the Ampire Amp Simulation included. I was very surprised when I started playing around with it. In my opinion it sounded way better than the Helix Native and also better than Amplitube 5 which I think is strange since this plugin is included “for free” in Studio One. It does not have many options and effects but the Ampsound for me is much more natural and closer to the Kemper (but no match ?)

Did anyone of you try the Ampire Plugin? What do you think of it?

Did you ever figure out what it was? I jammed with a drummer and bass player this afternoon and everything was fine and then started smelling what appeared to be the smell of toasted electronics. I shut the amp off and then noticed that the smell was coming from the cone. I let it rest and tried plugging it back in and now the speaker is not working. I opened up the back and there is nothing fried but it smells terrible. I read about the burning smell in speakers and people state it is a voice coil. I wasn’t playing that loud and am very surprised and disappointed that this happened.

the same thing with the smell happened to me. I'm sure it was the coil of the Kone getting to hot. Forutnately it was not damaged since I stopped imediately.

Thanks a lot for your opinions !!!

Ok, I'll check again next time and I'll monitor the power meter. But I'll be very careful this time. I would be very happy if it worked !!! Would be great to carry around only the Kabinet :)

Our rehearsal place is quite big, we are not very close to each other.

About the sound: I used a very good JCM800 profile which sounds great with my 4x12 (V30) and also with the Kone (V30 Setting). If I turned down the bass with the Kone, of course it would get much louder, but then the sound would not be the same anymore. I'm aware that the low frequencies are using most of the power and tuning them down, the volume can be higher.

But my intention is to replicate (more or less) the sound of my 4x12 and not just to be loud enough. If I turn back the highs and the lows I won't achieve the sound of the 4x12.

By the way, it would be great if I could talk about sound and frequencies with our bass player and the other guitarist, but unfortunately in this band that's too much ask for...

Finally I could test the Kabinet against my 4x12 Marshall.
    Well, it wasn't really a test... we wanted to start rehearsing and just trying to find the correct volume the Kone in the Kabinet started smelling (hope it's still ok). And yes, I tried to turn off the bass boost.

We play quite loud and we use ear protection since we have a loud drummer. But the 1x12 Kabinet does not come even close to the needed volume. It's just to small.

It's just not correct if some people say that the Kabinet would be loud enough for a Rock band with a loud drummer and another Guitar player with 4x12...

Same here, best bit of hardware I've ever bought !

I was never 100% satisfied with the Tube Amps I had before. Some sounded good for clean others for overdrive others for distortion. But it was sometimes frustrating not having the sound I wanted.

Sine I have the Kemper - If it sounds bad it's my playing, the guitar or the settings in the Kemper. Soundwise EVERYTHING seems to be possible. And that really makes me happy ^^

Sometimes I regret not having bought the Kemper years earlier...

Guess I was not 100% correct in what I said, I found a very good description from CK in one of the Kone threads:

Quote CK:

As you know, the Kone will support two directions.

I have optimized the linear route in our Kabinet, which is a fully closed cabinet [no ports). I have used some of the best studio monitors and other speakers as a reference.

I am confident you will achieve excellent results in other closed cabinets as well, since the air volume of regular cabinets does not differ too much. This is also true for 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets, as you would divide the effective volume by 2 or 4. If a problem arises still, even software updates would be an option.

But when you run the linear sound in an open back enclosure, you will loose the low and, and thus not being that linear. But that is not a bad thing, as you would anticipate this loss, when you play an open back.

My approach for the imprints was different. There it was not about a linear device, but a speaker that should produce the same sound as a reference speaker, no matter what cabinet it is.

So I had the original guitar speakers mounted in our Kabinet and compared it to a Kone in another Kabinet side by side. By this approach the imprints are independent of the cabinet, as the influence of the cabinet is equally applied on both reference and Kone, and thus falls out of the equation.

We did some quick tests with an open cabinet a while ago and we liked it!

Because the Kone‘s dispersion pattern is wider (less beam), the sound radiated backwards looses a bit of relevance, but this is not a negative aspect at all.

Unquote

Guess it will never sound exactly the same, but it sounds great :):thumbup:

If you would like to have the same sound you'd have to install a Kemper Kone in a housing with the exact same measures as the Amp.

The Kabinet can't copy other guitar cabinets. The Kone copies other Speakers. But of course they sound different if installed in a different cabinet. I guess the amp is open back. But the Kabinet is closed back.

Can't change the phisics... The housing makes a very important part of the sound.

Lpzneo : Ich denke, der Unterschied ist weniger der Bauart der Box selbst (Marshall vs Palmer) geschuldet als der Tatsache, dass die "echten" Guitar Speaker beamiger sind, mit einem deutlich engeren Focus, wohingegen der Kone einfach etwas breiter abstrahlt und mit etwas weniger Focus.

Man kann aber das Abstrahlverhalten auch noch imOutput-Menü verändern, wenn man die Imprints benutzt.

Eigentlich müsste dann das breitere Abstrahlverhalten dazu führen, dass man im Vergleich weniger laut aufdrehen muss, wenn man nicht direkt im "Beam" steht, da sich der Schall besser verteilt. Ich stelle die normalen Gitarrenboxen, auch die 4x12 Marschall 1960AV, immer auf einen massiven Keyboardsätnder, damit ich diese auf "Ohrenhöhe" habe. Stelle ich diese auf den Boden, muss ich lauter drehen und es flattern die Hosenbeine, aber der Sound im Raum wird nicht besser.

Ich bin echt gespannt auf den Test im Bandraum (wenn dieser wieder trocken ist - Heizungsrohrbruch -> Entfeuchtungsaktion :(), das mit dem breiteren Abstrahlverhalten sollte ja eigentlich nur Vorteile bringen :):thumbup:

Ich werde in nächster Zeit mal ein bisschen testen. Ich besitze das Kemper Kabinet und möchte schauen, ob dieses auch für unsere (sehr lauten) Bandproben reicht, bis jetzt habe ich 4x12" Marshall V30 benutzt.

Ansonsten überlege ich eine 2x12" mit 2xKone zu machen. Ob hinten geschlossen oder offen (Rockabilly) und schliessbar (Rock) bin ich noch am überlegen. CK hat mal geschrieben, dass der Kone die Eigenschaften der Speakers kopiert, nicht die der ganzen Box. Also wäre für einen richtigen Fender Sound ev. offen besser. Ich finde das System mit dem Kone wirklich toll und ev. wird das dann mal alle meine anderen Boxen ersetzen so wie der Kemper fast alle meine Amps ersetzt hat.

1. Ausprobieren wie viel Druck der 1x12 Kabinet wirklich hat im Vergleich mit dem 4x12

2. das gleiche mit der 2x12 Box die ich dann mit Kones bestücken würde.

3. 4x12 verkaufen wenn 1 oder/und 2 erfolgreich sein sollten