Posts by silvioherrmann

I really wanted to do the test and an A/B comparison between the Kabinet and my 4x12" Marshall speaker. The only way to find out IMHO ;)

But when I arrived in the rehearsal place the floor was flooded with water =O A tube of the heating system had a breach some floors above us. Now we are cleaning and drying the place instead of rehearsing. That’s ;(

As soon as we can use the place again I’ll do the test

now I'm really curious ho it's gonna turn out in the evening! Of course I'll let you know about the result. I will A/B it with the 4x12 Marshall.

Did you put it on the floor without bass boost or did you place it somewhere higher with bass boost?

Interesting what you say about a second Kabinet... so you would not recomend to get a second cabinet for a fuller sound?

no offense, but if someone saying that 1x12 is enough to be heard over a loud drummer hasen't obviously played with a really loud drummer for Rock or Metal. Tried it several times with a 100W Tube head + 1x12 V30.

You might get heard but there is no buttom end. Just noe enough punch.

Yesterday I took my Kabinet with my Kemper with built in power amp to rehearse with a jazz drummer. There it worked without problen. But he's very disciplined so with him you can play without ear protection.

Tomorrow I will take it to rehearshal with our Rock drummer :) just to doublecheck again.

I'll keep you posted. Maybe the Kabinet does some magic....

Some people here in this thread complained about the business model of QC to announce the product more than one year before having it ready to be shipped.

I don’t think that’s such a bad thing. I would really like to know if Kemper brings out new stuff soon. If they are planning a smaller unit for example, some people would not have to buy the QC now...

I saw that video and I call BS as well.

I also watched the video this morning and I really liked the way the QC sounded, no one of the reviewers showed the very little overdriven sounds so far.
    But the thing about the latency was weired, I never felt a noticable latency on the Kemper.

Silvio, your computer must be amazing, avante grade, cutting edge! (or mine is subpar..)I can't get the Neural plugins to run anywhere near realtime without glitching.

Once you turn the buffers high enough to stop glitching, latency delay destroys all feel, they're impossible to play for me.

For comparison, Kemper has zero noticeable latency.

no.... nothing fancy, it's and iMac Late 2012 with macOS High Sierra. But I can't help further, I already removed them plugins from the system since these were test versions. But anyway, I prefer hardware over plugins.

You are right, Kemper has zero noticeable latency, enjoyed it yesterday in band rehearsal ;)

Having said this, you may be right. They may not be interested in this market for the reasons I mentioned above. There may also be the belief that such a product would hinder sales of the higher priced products ..... but I don't buy into this belief myself.

guess you are right, I don't think it would hinder sales of the higher priced products... on the opposite. I would open them a whole new marked segment. Or some would buy first the "budget" version and later on the top version when they recognize the quality of the sound.

Anyway, people who can afford (especially guitar players with GAS) will mostly go for the solution with more technical options, even if they don't use these possibilities later. Didn't that happen to all of us in the past? :P

I am with a small, mostly not as vocal group of persons awaiting the release of a couple videos that simply walk through all the amp models that are to be included in the initial QC release. Capture technology is cool, but not ground breaking as Kemper as "been there done that," and Neural is giving their take on the established process. But the amp models included are very interesting to me.

Are these "models" or undisclosed captures, or possibly a capture run through a derivative modeling process for improvement or enhancement?? The Neural software amps previously released, claim neither to be models or captures of vintage or current amps, but we all have suspicions that they were software recreations of some "real" amps. Or not?

Please bring on the flood of QC preset walk-through videos while we wait on release. Give us something more than capture comparisons, which have demonstrated quality, but nothing breakthrough and World shattering. Please?

you can compare yourself for free !!
    The plugins from Neural DSP can be installed as test versions so you can A/B compare them with the Kemper and take your time to see/hear what you like more. I did that, downloaded 3 of the plugins (you can use them for some days for free)

My first impression was positive, but then I tweaked a little bit, and I compared them with my Kemper. I did not try to get the exactly same sound, for my taste this is not necessary. I just played and tried to get the feel of the amp sims. I also played the plugins though my 2x12" V30 cabinet with GPA-400 power amp (of course, speaker simulation switched OFF - could do it with no noticeable latency).

I liked the Kemper more, through the studio monitors and through the cabinet. Couldn't try the Neural DSP plugins through the Kone though ;)

My conclusion: Modeling seems to be able to make good sounds for recording and the plugins sound great until you A/B them with the Kemper. The feel is different, Kemper is much closer on a real amp.

That's why I think that also on the QC the capture functionality and the library to get captured amps is the main argument for somebody who ever tried a Kemper to consider buying and more important, keeping the QC.

As I already said in other topics, to be able to tell which sound you really like, a personal A/B comparison is the thing to do. So far in all these comparisons I did (HX Stomp, Headrush Gigboard, Atomic AmpliFire, GT-1000, Ampero, Neural DSP plugins) the Kemper remained to be the King :)

Now THAT is a great point. In a few other threads I have suggested this as well. A form factor with minimal controls, about the size of the FC with a bluetooth phone app for live tweaks, no ability to profile, but the same internal processing and ability to use the rig manager and editor would be ideal .... especially if it came in around about half the price of the Stage product.

Such a product would likely fly off the shelves.

Guess we were talking about his in other threads. I totally agree with you. That would be HX Stomp format with the great Kemper sounds. Waiting for that!

My opinion is that ndsp is not trustworthy And the main point of the qc is not about music but rather it is about a lifestyle product that generates the maximum income.

They got an investment of 5 million dollars that need to be justified. Selling 20000 ( hopefully ) 1700 dollar units doesn’t sound like much unless they are planning other means of making money which explains why the main focus is the social platform rather than the unit itself.

Fractal and Kemper are also expensive but I feel that passion for music and electronics is a big drive that made these units possible and in my opinion, reading the conversations on TGP, that seems to lack in ndsp.

Time will tell ...

nsdp is not trustworthy and the main point is not about music ??? do you really think that the engineers of this company do not love music? I really love Kemper, but comments like this are not necessary.

If somebody is interested in a lifestyle product, it's much easier to sell body lotions or fashion or posing fancy pictures in Instagram.
    People who are able to create algorithems to profile Amps are for sure not the guys who have the goal to generate maximum income. If they would (and they have the brain performance), they would be investment bankers. Working in this field is passion for music, if not, there are more efficient ways to make money....

Incredible what some people write here..... ;)

there is so much smart ass here in this topic ;)

really....

my opinion:

Kemper is already great. Not sure if there will be other units with better sounds, but for me actually, the Kemper is the perfect tool to get GREAT sounds. Does it have to be exactly the same as the Amp?

Well, if it sounds great it sounds great. If there is some difference in a detail who cares? Kemper is a Tool. A Tool which helps you to be creative. Use it to be creative!!

Use it to record great sounds. Use it to be happy jaming at home. Use it to be happy playing guitar. For me, I can only say, Kemper makes me happy. No other device did that so far, I can explore every amp y dreamed off before.

BUT.... Maybe QC will do the same. I don't know, didn't have it on my desk. So I won't do the smart a.. trying to know the difference form youtube videos. It's just not possible. you need to play it to know if it is really equal or better. but what is better? can it be better then the Kemper? Or just different?

In my opinion just the size and the weight and the concept of the QC can be better. Stop about to try to hear the grass grow ;)

What I really wish - as I love Kemper - Please please please do a small unit which can be carried traveling. That would make me happy. If not... well... guess the QC will become an option.

That sounds very interesting... what IR did you load? I don't know if that works with the GT-1000 but it would be interesting to share sounds/settings. Is that possible? If possible, would you share your settings?

About the user interface, you say that you sold the Kemper 2 years ago. Now the Rig Manager can be used to change the settings of the Kemper which works great, I really like it. I bought the Kemper about one year ago, so I never had to use the UI on the device to create the sounds ;)

About routing options and device size you are definitely right !! the GT-1000 Core would be very interesting for me, if I could get satisfying sounds out of it.

I use a stomp as backup, it's a backup so don't put to much effort in it... Had the ampero for 1 day before i returned it, not because if the sounds but to me it fee's more like a home solution, not gig worthy... No Idea why I had this feeling...

The stomp on stage looks to be more that it belongs there

Raf

the concept and architecture of the HX stomp is great, for home, travel and live use. So I really wanted it to be good, but I did not like the sound, couldn't help it.

Anyway, I hope there will be a Kemper mini some day!

How is the difference in feel, specifically the latency delay when playing with those 2 setups?

Some digital devices have some delay, Kemper has none that I can tell when playing.

For example, I used a Mooer pedal, and the latency delay is very noticeable, which directly affects feel and accuracy, makes it unusable for me.

I did not feel any latency using these devices. Neither the Ampero nor the GT-1000, but I have to admit, I did not use all the effects in The GT-1000. In the Ampero I activated Drive, Boost, Amp, Noisegate, Cab Sim, EQ, Delay and Reverb, which is almost all of the effect blocks activated simultaneously and I cold not feel any delay (I did not measure it though).
    To high latency is a no go for guitar playing, so I guess it is ok since I did not feel any problem with that. (Once I had a very noticeable delay with the Kemper during band rehearsal, but after turning it OFF and ON, problem was solved)

For me the feel with the GT-1000 was not good at all (I wanted to like it, but I was disappointed) since It did not feel at all like a real amp. Ampero got much closer to this.

User interface of Ampero is very good !!

I had very good results by profiling my Fishman Aura with the Kemper. That actually works.

First you choose the best fitting setting ini Aura for the guitar you want to use.

The 3 Sigma Audio also work great, but they are loaded in the cabinet section because these are IRs. If you profile the Aura, you have it in the amp section.

But both works good :)

There is something that I don't really understand...
    How can some people argue and some almost fight about sound differences between Kemper and QC if they not even compared them by themselves A/B on their own desk with monitors speakers and also with a guitar cabinet?

I compared Kemper with Helix with BOSS GT-1000 with Ampero by myself this way. The one thing I learned doing these comparisons is that the videos in Internet can't show you the feel of the device is in real.

In my opinion, this discussion would become really interesting if some of us could do that test and then talk facts. Not just argue about youtube videos.

Hello JimmyK, thanks for your description of the Fm3. I just wrote a new thread about my quest for a portable unit and also about some disappointments. ("Kemper / Boss GT-100 / Hotone Ampero - Direct comparison" )

What you write sounds very promising. I might try to get a Fm3 to try it out. Did you compare it A/B and also with power amp and speaker?

I use a Kemper with built in Power Amp for all purposes after having used many different tube amps for many years (yes, I did A/B comparison with Kemper and Tube Amp)

Soon after buying the Kemper I also wanted to have a little device to carry with me when traveling. The Kemper Stage would be to heavy - unfortunately. That's why I started my loooong quest form my travel amp modeler. Soon I recognized that the tests in youtube would not help much for me, so I started buying all the possible units used, to sell them again, if I would not like them. So I first tried BOSS GT-1, Helix HX Stomp, Atomic AmpliFIER, all of them could not compete with the Kemper for different reasons.

(I did not try the Quad Cortex so far ;) anyway it's a bit too expensive)

I have to say, that I compare the units directly, using Studio Monitors AND a 2x12 Celestion V30 Speaker with a power amp (not tube).

Some days ago I could buy very cheap a used BOSS GT1000 and even very cheaper a Hotone Ampero. Today I did a A/B/C comparison.

(my plan was to sell the GT-1000 and get a GT-1000 core, if it sounded great)

To make it short, the Difference is not that small, all the units sound different. I used the same IRs to be fair and the same Amps.

I often hear, it is a question of taste. Sure, everything is a question of taste. But if something should sound like the "real Amp" ist it really a question of taste if it comes close to that or not? There are a lot of opinions of people writing about these units. But did they compare them side by side? If they did it (and I don't speak about people who sell the units, I speak about completely neutral people) what would they say?

The result for me was at one hand very surprising on the other hand not.

First, the Kemper was the best of the three.... You wouldn't have expected that, would you? 8o

But then, The GT-1000 which is not at all cheap, and some people say that it would sound very good, did not sound real at all. I loaded IRs, experimented with the virtual mic position etc. until I got a decent sound. Then I changed to Kemper - BOOM !! There was the Sound - BIG difference.

Then I did the same with the Ampero. It was easy to get a good sound, user interface and software are beautifully made - respect !! It sounds a little bit digital with some settings (beware of excessive FX use and some digital sounding delays!) but the feel is quite good. I also loaded IRs which is also good with this unit, and then I changed to Kemper. Again, Kemper is better. But not the same big difference as with the GT-1000.

So then I compared same amp same IR between GT-1000 and Ampero. And that's the surprise. The Ampero that can be found used for 140 Euro had the better feel and closer to real amp sound than the GT-1000 which costs used about 500 Euro :/
    What really surprised me was the sound quality of the Ampero with the power amp in the 2x12 speaker... there it sounded even better.

I would not recommend the GT-1000 at all (only if you use it with an amp only using the effects. don't buy it for Amp simulation)

I really recommend the Ampero if you can find it for a good price. I prefer it way over the HX Stomp as well (could not test them A/B but the amp simulation of Helix have some frizzling sound that a real amp does not make, which is a pity, concept would be best) .

Conclusion: while waiting on Kemper Mini (please, please, please CK) I'll use the Ampero.

What do you think:
    Did you ever do A/B comparisons?

Are you also disappointed about reviews not saying if something really is not that good?

Did you also experienced that after some times, the ears get used to a certain sound, and if you don't compare A/B/(C) you completely loose the reference?