Posts by silvioherrmann

I actually don't even think about the price... what I find important is the size and the weight, so it could be used for situation where a minimal equipment is needed - with maximal sound.

I would be willing to pay for that.

A filter can be either FIR or IIR. When we talk about "IRs" in guitar land, we're actually talking about FIR filters. And IIR filters are what we consider EQs. So the quote from Fishman simply says "we used IRs for the Aura tech, but for the low-end we used EQs." This isn't something super fancy, and it's rather a DSP saving method since it would take a longer FIR filter (more DSP intensive to process) to modify the low-end. So Aura supplements with IIR filters.

Both FIR filters and IIR filters can be captured by taking an impulse response. But the Kemper frankly doesn't have a great IR capability. It uses quite short IRs, which can be sufficient for emulating guitar cabs but not for something like profiling the Aura. With some other modeler or IR device that allows for longer IRs, you should be able to capture the Aura completely.

Or you can try to use some EQs in the Kemper to modify the low-end to get closer. If you used something like REW to see the frequency response of the Aura, then compared it with the frequency response of the Kemper profile of the Aura, you should be able to know exactly what to do... but this may be too difficult if you're not familiar with this stuff.

Hi yeky83, that's some great information, thanks a lot! I'll study this.

One question. Profiling the Aura, is that the same than creating an IR of the Aura?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Silvio, interesting stuff. I used those profiles of the BodyRez as well and find them useful but indeed as you say not the single solution.

Additionally I've been using some channelstrip emulation profiles from the RigExchange (author: Downfall Studio), e.g. Neve 1073 which help to tame certain frequencies which typically are hyped by the piezos. Bert Meulendijk's Acoustic pack has a similar approach plus some very good EQ settings, same for Michael Britt who profiled some acoustic preamps.

Overall I'm still searching for a quick and pragmatic approach for my Taylor acoustic... would love to try your AURA profiles if you would be willing to share them...

hello deadman42, of course I can share the profiles with you. If you tell me which Taylor model you have, I can check if there's an Image which fits.

In my band I have to use electric and acoustic guitar and I'm using the Kemper for both.

Sound of the electric guitar is perfekt, well... that's what's the Kemper is made for ;)

Now I'm searching for the best solution for a good acoustic guitar sound with my piezo equipped guitars and I thought I would share my findings with you.

First of all - Very important - While playing the guitar, the sound of the acoustic guitar will overlay the sound from the monitor speakers or headphones, so it's not possible hear what later will come out of the PA system. If you want to hear how your acoustic guitar sounds through a preamp or kemper or whatever, you can use a Looper pedal between the Guitar and the device to playback a recorded sound.

First I found some profiles of the TC Electronic Bodyrez in Rig Exchange. A/B compared with the piezo sound it already helped a lot, but I was not 100% satisfied.

Some days ago I found a used FISHMAN AURA Sixteen pedal and I decided to buy it planing to profile this pedal with the Kemper. First I checked the AURA pedal without Kemper, using the Fishman software to load images from its library to the pedal. It takes some time to find the fitting image, but once if you found one - WOW, that's almost like a miked up guitar !!! (if you have the wrong image it sounds not good at all, so you have to search)

Next stepp was profiling the AURA. After having done this I compared the AURA-Profile with the real AURA. I put the AURA in the effect loop and was able to do the A/B test by tuning On/Off the Amplifier (AURA Profile) and the effect loop (Real AURA Pedal)

Unexpectedly the Profile was not as good as the real thing ?( obviously it is not possible to make an exact profile of this device. The profile is good, still much better than the TC Electronic Bodyrez, but something is missing.

As a nexte stepp I wanted to try using IRs (Impulse Responses) which can be loaded in the Cabinet database of the Kemper. I bought some IRs at "3 Sigma Audio" which already come prepared for the Kemper. Easy to do and so it was easy to compare everything.

Now I can do my ranking of the results so far:

1. Kemper with AURA in the Effect Loop

2. AURA Profiled in Kemper (sounds good, but some of the piezo sound is back)

3. Kemper with Impulse Response from 3 Sigma Audio (I did not have the opportunity to try as many IRs as images from AURA)

4. Kemper profile of the TC Electronic Bodyrez

5. Pure piezo sound

I found a quote in the Internet that says:
    Larry Fishman said in an interview on Aaron short’s channel that he did not like the Aura Image Technology to be reduced to IR and indeed in the very case of Aura it’s more complex than that. The Aura technology is said to handle the low end ith IIR biquad filters that enables to have shorter FIR filter to handle the mids and high end.

Maybe this is the reason why it does not work to profile the AURA.

The best solution I found so far is to put the AURA in the Effect Loop of the Kemper, so I can use all the effects and EQs and all we love about this device and still have the good Imaging of the AURA pedal.

Would be nice if you shared your thoughts!!!

maybe someone made a similar test with Tone Dexter? :/

Working in machine and electronic industrie I can tell you that the production costs are just a small part in the whole calculation.

Development, Marketing, After Sales Customer Service, Software Updates - these factors are quite important in the calculation of the end price of the product.

And, a product in the size of HX Stomp with less switches and potentiometer is for sure cheaper than the Kemper Toaster or the Stage!

If Helix Stomp can be sold for about 500.- and BOSS GT-1000 core for about 750.- there should not be a problem for Kemper to sell a Kemper mini for 800.- with a good margin.

Only thing, they might sell less Toasters or Stages....

But some customers who need a small unit are now buying the Helix Stomp or GT-1000 core or the quad cortex what means - Kemper

is loosing customers :(

I think you are absolutely right!

I would keep my Kemper KPA at home and for gigs where I need a cabinet.

But for traveling, or for using it with an acousitc guitar the mini would be great. I think it would be important to not make it heavier than 1.5 kg.

I think many people who already have a KPA or stage now would buy aditionaly a kemper mini.

They really should do it soon, since the Neural DSP quad cortex will be available in some weeks and I guess this will be the first real competitor for Kemper soundwise. The design concept looks very interesting.

I would really like to have a Kemper Mini, and I hope they will do it soon. Quad Cortex is comming out soon (will sound great I guess), the BOSS GT-1000 Core is here (not on Kemper level), Line 6 has the Helix stomp (I really don't like how it sounds)... But I would like to stick with KEMPER. Just ordered a Kabinet... let's see if that makes goot thing even better.
    I wouldn't sell my Kemper Power, but the mini Kemper would be great for travelling or for use with the acoustic guitar (Kemper works great with acoustic guitar !!)

Ich habe zuhause folgendes und bin sehr zufrieden damit.
    Studiomonitore UND eine Endstufe mit Gitarrenbox. Muss beides nicht teuer sein, das tolle ist, dass man vom Gitarrenlautsprecher auf die Stereo-Studiomonitore umschalten kann. Bei den Studiomonitoren habe ich 2 verschiedene Paare, 1 x die Alesis M1 und dann noch die IK-Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor (mein absoluter Geheimtip, die sind Winzig, nicht teuer und klingen ganz gross - wirklich unglaublich - ausserdem kann man sie gut mitnehmen)

Als Endstufe für den Gitarrenlautsprecher benutzte ich die Harley benton GPA-400 bevor ich auf den Kemper Powerhead aufgerüstet habe. Als Gitarrenlautsprecher hab ich eine 2x12" mit Vintage 30.

Ausserdem kann man über die Studiomonitoren loopen (oder Backing Track abspielen) und dann über den Gitarrenlautsprecher Jamen. Das macht Spass :)

Ich würde genre 2 x Kemper Kone kaufen. Die müsste man in die Schweiz importieren. Jetzt habe ich gesehen, dass es die Kone bei Kemper im Set 4 x 12" günstig zu bestellen gibt.

Gibt es hier zufällig einen in der Schweiz lebenden Kemperspieler welcher auch 2 Kemper Kone kaufen würde? Dann könnte man das gemeinsam planen :)

(und die Zollvorweisungstaxe usw. teilen)

Hello Spirit, yes, you should use the aux input since the Kemper already does all the Amp and Speaker modeling (The aux input is used to connect an mp3 player ans so it will process the signal as neutral as possible) Just be aware that the aux input might need a stereo signal. So you have to use an adapter cable from the main output of the kemper or just use the headphone output.
    Would be nice to hear your feedback how it sounds and if you experience latency.

Hello :)

I just wanted to share my experience I made searching for portable speakers for travel purposes.

I actually started the search with my Boss GT1 which never reaches the quality of the Kemper, but it is light and easy to use. Now I own a KEMPER and I love it.

If you want to get a portable speaker you might start to search among the Bluetooth speakers – some of them sound very good. The problem with these Speakers is that many of them have noticeable latency when you connect the guitar/modeler to the Aux Input.

After searching a lot and trying out quite some of these speakers I got 2 of them that work. These are:

-         Marshall Stockwell 1

-         Marshall Kilburn 2

The Stockwell (first Version) is light and sounds quite good, but it has its limits with the Bass. But if you travel and you have to keep the weight low, it’s a good option. The Kilburn (second Version) sounds much better, for its size it sounds very good in my opinion.

Some months ago I found the IK Multimedia iLound Micro Monitor and after some research I bought them (with bag). If you don’t need a battery powered speaker, they have an incredibly good sound for the size and the weight. I used them on a long Argentina trip with the Boss GT1 and travel guitar and travel bass and the sound was quite ok, but at home with the Kemper they sound GREAT !! You have to try it out to believe :)

I would recommend them to anyone who likes to carry around good speakers to use them as Monitors for Guitar, other Instruments or portable recording. I would also recommend them for someone who likes good stereo sound in a hotel room. They definitely beat the portable Bluetooth battery powered speakers as Marshall Kilburn in my opinion.
    If you have a home recording studio you can use them as second motitors, works great!

I also think that the concept with all the connection in such a small box is very convincing in the HX Stomp. Routing posibilities are great!
    But I moslty use the amp modelling with a good reverb and delay which instantly sounds good in the Kemper, without much tweaking. (I don't even use drives with my tube amps, never worked for me... sometimes i use a booster) And if an amp profile does not sound right, it can be made sounding good in 2minues using the vast number of posibilities in the new softare editor. After the Guitar for me the importance of a good sound is 90% Amp (simulation) and then 10% Effects. But that's just my humble opinion ;)

And that's why I'm hoping that Kemper will create a small unit maybe wihtout the profiling funcion. I would buy it !!

Just today I bought a used HX Stomp for traveling, the Kemper is a bit to big.
    So I checked the sounds and I also installed Impulse Responses. It was definitely a BIG disapointment. With the lightly overdriven sounds the HX Stomp sounds very strange. There is an unnatural Buzz if you let the note fade out.

I will sell it again. Really hope that one day there will be a mini-Kemper !!!

By the way, with the new software interface of the kemper I think the effects are great!