S/PDIF Problem?

• It is somehow strange. I did not change anything AFAIK, but the dry signal from the KPA (in may case the left channel, for that matters)
    is quite a bit louder than the distorted one. (Right channel in my DAW). Since i did not change sth but upgraded to a 2.x KPA OS, i think the
    reason might be there. It irritates me a lot, because i do need the sustain of a good profile to keep me inspired, even if i change it afterwards
    while reamping. And i use "Git/Stack" as output since it was Ingolf's recommendation and worked well.
    Is there a way to adjust the output level of the two S/PDIF channels? ?( Comments appreciated.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited 2 times, last by Geraldo7 ().

• No-one has this problem while reamping? Almost sure it started after the upgrade? ?(

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Which KAOS version is installed? In 2.1.1. the read me says:

Version 2.1.1 is a minor update recommended for every user.

This version fixes an issue related to the preamp gain, which was slightly quieter in comparison to previous versions.

So using 2.1.1 and after should restore the gain levels.

• I am on KPA OS 2.1.1. for a few weeks now. Mmmhh ... ?(
    Anyway, is there a method to adjust the two output channels?

• The DI signal on the left SPDIF channel can be lowered by reducing clean sense. But why does it affect your reception of the distorted sound that the dry signal is hotter than the (compressed) distorted rig? Just raise the Rig volume or the level at which you monitor the distorted sound.

• The DI signal on the left SPDIF channel can be lowered by reducing clean sense. But why does it affect your reception of the distorted sound that the dry signal is hotter than the (compressed) distorted rig? Just raise the Rig volume or the level at which you monitor the distorted sound.

Thanx for the reply! Finally someone. :thumbup:

• The Signal on the left side is as loud as on the right side. This irritates me, because the clean re-ampable Sound has more Punch and destroys my Feeling in softer passages.
    • It helped indeed to lower clean sense and raise distortion sense. Very good! but then why do i have to do it? AFAIK i did not Change anything.
    • Just raise the Rig volume or the level at which you monitor the distorted sound.
    • Raise the rig volume? Where is this possible? Does it raise the clean,too?
    • Raise the level at which you monitor the distorted Sound!
    • The Punch irritates me WHILE RECORDING, my soundcard has no adjustments for the S/PDIF Input. I have to do this in the KPA.

Thanx anyway, tipp 2 helped a bit.

• Geraldo, this issue is solved in 2.2.1 release. A dedicated reamping procedure including the new reamp sense parameter has been added. You may read the updated manual prior to installing 2.2.1.

• Geraldo, this issue is solved in 2.2.1 release. A dedicated reamping procedure including the new reamp sense parameter has been added. You may read the updated manual prior to installing 2.2.1.

I have read the passages in the manual for OS 2.2.1. three times now. Still do not understand completely. Will update tomorrow or on tuesday.
    There is this paragraph:

The levelling is done by the output level of the recording device; it cannot be adjusted in the Profiler. In
    particular, the SPDIF signal can only be adjusted in the sending device, by definition.

yes, i understand, but what i want to do is reducing the volume output of the left S/PDIF channel WHILE recording for reamping later both dry and wet tracks.
    there must be a separation possible somewhere or it should be added. or am i barking up the wrong tree?

• the easiest way to deal with this issue is to use the SPDIF only for transferring the signal into the computer and back and use the analog output for monitoring while you play. That way you will not hear the clean signal at all.

• the easiest way to deal with this issue is to use the SPDIF only for transferring the signal into the computer and back and use the analog output for monitoring while you play. That way you will not hear the clean signal at all.

yes. thank you, this is an option. but now the output signal is 4 times higher which is quite a lot (??). but it works, thanx.

but the first problem still bothers me seriously. i have updated now to 2.2.1, hell-g. and with clean sense to -12db and distortion sense to +12 i can still hear the clean signal.
    what went south here? because this is new, at least i did not have a behaviour like that for months before. any ideas?

• Hell-G, thanx for posting. I cannot mute the dry track, see below. ( I do not have an external mixer).

I have the following setup. KPA>via S/PDIF>Roland Quad>PC>Cubase 5>KRK Rokits
    On the PC Windows 8 is running with Cubase, the Roland Mixer and the correct ASIO driver from Roland, latency 5ms

• If i choose "Stack" as output everything is fine, but i cannot record the dry track.
    • When i choose "Git/Stack" as output as i used to, the punch of the dry sound drives me nuts
    • I am not able to mute anything. The Roland Quad mixer allows only one input volume adjustment for the two S/PDIF channels
    • Even if i could adjust here, the dry track would be not loud enough, would it not?
    • The "solution" is right now to put dist sense in input to +12 and clean sense to -12
    • but hence i did not have to do this for a couple of months, the question remains, what has changed?
    • My setup, the firmware, the cables? i checked everything, i am clueless.

Edited 2 times, last by Geraldo7 ().

• I cannot mute the dry track, see below. ( I do not have an external mixer).

I'm sorry but I have to comment on that. Don't get me wrong please, no bad intentions from my side. But this is one example of how important it is to have good equipment. The whole idea of direct monitoring through audio interfaces makes no sense as long as you can't mute and mix signals on the monitoring (independent from the signal going into the computer). Even better if you have not only ONE way to monitor but a couple of individually configurable busses.
    This is the perfect example, why I always suggest Focusrite Saffire interfaces.

I'm really sorry to hear that you finally ran into this trap. Always very annoying to run into these problems after the investment has been done.

Cheers,
    Martin

• Even without the direct monitor feature you still can mute the respective track in Cubase, right? I mute both SPDIF Inputs on my Focusrite Mixcontrol to deactivate direct monitoring, activate software monitoring in Logic and mute the DI track so i just hear the Rigs sound. Brings in some minor latency, but i do not feel or hear it.

• It is 3 o' clock in the morning, but i can sleep happily now. It is becoming some kind of running gag now:
    the problem often sits in front of the KPA! I - out of some unknown reason - changed my soundcard with a red knob on the hardware itself to
    direct sound monitor mono.
    this has caused the changed behaviour. but there is no mistake i cannot learn from. i can even mute the clean signal now.
    in cubase i monitor both channels with an additional orange button, but decrease the volume of the left channel to zero. done!
    no software monitoring needed. and the dry tack is there. you have showed me the right bus, guys.

• Spoke to suport today. i was definitely NOT barking up the wrong tree! The relation of dry to wet signal has changed considerably because user wanted this.
    So this was an unholy combination of faults, mistakes and misunderstandings on my side. Conclusion:

• I am not the only one who is bothered by the louder dry signal.
    • If you have a mixing console, fine: mute the dry track and monitor the wet only.
    • If using cubase, there is a workaround: add the orange monitoring button while recording and decrease the volume of the dry signal channel to zero. done.
    • if using logix, there is this hint Hell-G mentioned of software monitoring or another trick i forgot since i do not have logix. you could ask lambik, in case you need it.
    • yo! cheers