Please Help! 'Backup Damaged beyond repair'???!!

• Hi All,

Hope you can help. I backed up my rigs today and then wanted to rename them so the amp models are in alphabetical order. After re-naming some 200+ rigs following the instructions on Kemper Wiki, I used 7zip to add all the folders to an archive - and changed name to '.kpabackup'.

However, when I go to restore and thus clean up / re-organise it's telling me 'This backup is damaged beyond repair'. Can anyone help??

Two things to mention - in the rig re-naming I have used the following conventions

Artist or song tone matched presets start with prefix '#'.
    Rigs end with '(Ltd)' as this is the guitar I am using for them.
    Fx heavy presets start with 'X$fx'.

Looking at the preset size, they are all between 4-5 bytes.

If anyone can help, I'd be VERY grateful. Would like to get amps into order to a/b better etc.

Many thanks,

-Tonerider

• Edit - apologies - I panicked!!! Realised it was down to compression method and got around it by using .rar extension.

Sorry. Please can anyone delete this post? Hope I didn't waste anyone's time.

• Hi Lightbox,

It was on -

http://www.wikpa.org/Troublesh…up.2C_Edit.2C_and_Restore

17) Right click, select 7-zip and Add to an archive.
    18) A new 7-zip window will pop-up suggesting name and format of the new archive.
    19) You can leave everything as suggested, but you’ll need to change the file extension in the first row from tar to kpabackup, so that the file name is identical to the name of the original backup archive you stored.

It's from step 17 that I got 'lost' - when you add to archive - I couldn't see any dialogue to ensure no compression was being used...

So, I ended up making a backup of the Kemper - renaming the .kpabackup to .rar - then opening with 7-Zip. I then went into the 'Rigs' folder - deleted all items and replaced with the renamed ones stored on my HD. There was no obivious 'Save' button in 7-zip, so I just hit 'ctrl+s' out of habit and exited the 7-zip file manager.

I then renamed the .rar back to .kpabackup and voila! All imported and working. Rigs and amps in a much more user friendly (to me) order! :)

Hope someone else finds this useful also.

-TR

• Yeah, probably your 7-zip defaulted to a certain compression...

Total Commander is a very easy way to manage our backups as well... It "natively" reads the .kpabackup files (almost) like any folder, with the only limitation that you can't directly edit their contents but have to copy them. With the 2-window layout it's as easy as ABC tho.

(Total Commander, the most useful invention after the condom IMO :D I have been doing all my file management there since years)