Studio Monitor vs Powered Speaker

• I am possibly interested in (2) 8" Studio monitors to play my Kemper through at home. I have (2) powered speakers (EV ELX112P & SX250A) that I listen through now. What benefit would be present using the studio monitors at home? What would I give up by using the studio monitors?

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Not really unsatisfied just noticed that many people mention them and looking to see if there is a benefit to add them versus what I currently use. If there is no benefit then I am content with what I have. If there is a benefit then I am interested in adding them to my pieces of equipment.

• ok I'm with you on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra, but if you could also clarify what differences there may be. If there are no benefits\noticeable differences then it is not even worth considering. I've only heard studio monitors once so I'm relying on the opinions of others in this area.

• As I see it, you're asking a generic questions which would require very specific answers :wacko: :)

As Ingolf said, "if your next monitors sound better than your current cabs then buy them". Sounds trivial, but it all comes down to this.
    The point is that there's no intrinsic advantage in using studio monitors: they have to sound better than your current cabs in order to improve your musical experience.

The question is IMO unanswerable because you might find a great improvement by buying great active cabs (like the CLRs) as well.

So the answer would be: no benefit expected. But, if you try a couple of monitors which make your profiles shine, go for them!
    Since you seem to have available real estate tho, if you really want to make a step further in terms of sound quality I'd go for bigger and good active cabs tho, which in case you might use as studio monitors as well (talking about the CLR again).

:)

• I'll try differently.
    I don't know the SX250A, but I own (besides two Atomic CLR's, two Amaha DXR10s, two Yamaha HS-80 studio monitors, also one EV ELX112P.
    What I can say is: from my perspective, the Atomic CLRs and the Yamaha HS-80s are the most neutral sounding cabs I would also use to mix material on.
    The DXRs 10 have a mid pronounciation and the EV pronounces highs and lows like a giant HiFi cab.
    In that sense: yes, it is totally imaginable that you'll find studio monitors sounding more flat and neutral.
    Then your profiles will definitely benefit from that.

• What I can say is: from my perspective, the Atomic CLRs and the Yamaha HS-80s are the most neutral sounding cabs I would also use to mix material on.
    The DXRs 10 have a mid pronounciation and the EV pronounces highs and lows like a giant HiFi cab.
    In that sense: yes, it is totally imaginable that you'll find studio monitors sounding more flat and neutral.
    Then your profiles will definitely benefit from that.

Thanks. This is the simple answer to the simple question presented. I don't have both so someone having both giving me their perspective is what I'm looking for. Did you try other brands besides the Yamaha? I know your a lover of Yamaha stuff. I like their stuff very well also. There are Rokits, M-audio, Behringer etc. out there...what all did you compare? Would you say the CLR is your choice above the Studio Monitors or is it more equally split?

• The HS-8 are very good value for money, can recommend them.

Everything else (in a higher price range) would probably require you to seriously invest in some good sound treatment to benefit from added sound quality. That doesn't mean you don't need any sound treatment with the Yamaha HS-8. They (like all speakers) benefit from this. But if this investment isn't possible or you just don't like to do sound treatment, then there's no point in getting higher priced studio monitors.

Something else to consider: How important is the stereo image for you? Do you like to feel like in the middle of a great soundstage? If this is important to you, then you'll have a much better time using studio monitors. From my personal experience, even if you happen to have 2 PA monitors (like DXR10 or CLR) setup for stereo, you'll still dominantly hear the speaker positions when listening with closed eyes. With great studio monitors that are perfectly setup, you won't hear the individual speaker positions but feel like in the center of the stereo soundstage.
    Hope my explanation was understandable ... while used to write english posts, it's still not my native language :D

Cheers
    Martin

• Thanks. This is the simple answer to the simple question presented. I don't have both so someone having both giving me their perspective is what I'm looking for. Did you try other brands besides the Yamaha? I know your a lover of Yamaha stuff. I like their stuff very well also. There are Rokits, M-audio, Behringer etc. out there...what all did you compare? Would you say the CLR is your choice above the Studio Monitors or is it more equally split?

Soundwise CLR and Yamaha HS-80 are equally split to me.
    I use them for different purposes.
    I'm used to the HS-80's to mix on them. (That said, I also could use the CLR's for this).
    I had different brands of studio monitors before (e.g. Alesis) but decided for the Yamaha's as they are a de facto standard in many studios.
    The CLR'S are mainly for my playing experience with the profiler, in my music room.
    I tweak and evaluate profiles exclusively through the CLR's.

When playing live and transportability comes into play, I mostly go for the Yamaha DXR 10 as it's very small and lightweight. On most noisy stages their mid pronounciation is a good thing and prevents from using output EQ.

• Well if the Studio Monitors are not discernibly different in comparison to the CLR then that is the way to go as the cost is minimal in comparison. I've got the "on stage" monitor covered so if these are that good then studio monitors would be worth a try. With the difference in woofer size (8" vs 12" or 15") how well do the lows translate?

• Studio Monitors are a winner. They provide a clearer picture to make adjustments from. The PA speakers are excellent for stage monitors, but I can see and hear the difference in using the studio monitor for settings on the profiles.

• Studio Monitors are a winner. They provide a clearer picture to make adjustments from. The PA speakers are excellent for stage monitors, but I can see and hear the difference in using the studio monitor for settings on the profiles.

That's great! Success!