Satellite + Sub good idea?

• hi,

I want to buy monitors for mixing. I don't have great experiences with monitors.
    So i thought about a sub/satellite system like this: http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/ATS/art-REC585 + stander/stative
    There will be also a behringer room mic to analyze room and I will build acoustic elements.

It should be:
    - flexible
    - loud enough for midsize room (roomsize: lxbxh 4,5x3,9x2,5 m)
    - good for mixing
    - just for playing (guitar, bass guitar also)

I heard, that bass has less stereoinformation so I can't locate it. And smaller cones on satellite are normally better for mids.
    What's your opinion, experience or knowledge? thanks for helping :thumbup:

• IMO, the most important thing by a long shot is creating a well-sounding room. I believe it's much better to invest in a room than in monitors, since you'll have to learn you monitors' sound anyway and mix/produce consequently.

A traditional (static) electronic treatment, while able to improve the room, can't be the definitive solution, since stationary waves and resonances are time-dependent (i.e., they vary with the time).

As regards sats+sub: generally speaking, a studio engineer is not after an "amazing" response, but rather the most linear one. The crossover frequency must be chosen where both devices respond @ -3 dB, so that their coupling returns an as-flat-as-possible amplitude response.
    Where the room is not sonically flat, a sub might cause more non-linearities.
    So again, I'd most invest in the room, and would add a sub only when/if I feel confident about the room's response.

Regarding the tweeters' size, a good system is a good system: every size presents pros and cons, as well as adding a sub does. These issues have to be fixed at the design stage, and a good system will sound good regardless the chosen components.

But, again, nothing will make your mixes sound good like a good-sounding room :)

HTH

• thanks for your replies!
    a good room condition is very important, no doubt! that's why i want to measure my room with a room mic and RoomEQWizard.
    Yeah i thought about the Yamaha HS8 also.