If I use the S/PDIF out on the Kemper does it matter what interface I use?

• I want to use my Kemper's S/PDIF out to record guitar/bass/pedal steel tracks. Since the information is already digital, if I have an interface with a S/PDIF in on it then the audio that ends up in Pro Tools should be exactly the same if I am using a Presonus Firestudio or an Apollo Quad or anything else, right? Because it's a D to D transfer, the audio doesn't go through the preamps or converters of the interface?

Thanks

• I'd rather say that alterations induced by a digital device can be less obvious by ear.
    No doubt any digital device imparts the sound its own personality, but for most users differences are often negligible. It depends on the application as well.
    Also, chances are that devices placed in the same price window use the same components/chips/algorithms.

I remember the days when they used to say that all the CD players sounded the same :)

• I'd rather say that alterations induced by a digital device can be less obvious by ear.
    No doubt any digital device imparts the sound its own personality, but for most users differences are often negligible. It depends on the application as well.
    Also, chances are that devices placed in the same price window use the same components/chips/algorithms.

I remember the days when they used to say that all the CD players sounded the same :)

Well...A CD player DOES have a D/A converter, so it's not apples to apples...

• True, not apples to apples. But there are specific issues related to digital signals managing/processing/transfering, which, while subtle, do are in effect whenever bits are moved.