Profiler pink noise generator / IR capture to EQ my cabs/speakers for flat response

• Newbie question/ feature request

Could the Profiler generate pink noise such that if I hooked up a reference mic to it, I could do "pseudo real time" EQ analysis - either on my PA and/or cabinets and generate some sort of frequency curve/profile for my speaker setup? [I assume it would be a generated file that I then would need to use some sort of IR software to visualize).

Knowing that profile, could I then 'insert" a 31 band EQ, to conceivably get the system to produce a flat response (within the frequency range it can handle of course).
    I see something like the Behringer DEC2496 that analyzes and then can automatically correct the highs/lows for a completely flat response. I sense the Profiler has more or less most aspects of what the DEC2496 can do (mic input, noise/tone generator and "analyzer").

Or better yet, have the Kemper analyze and generate a flat response IR from the analysis automatically.

Theoretically then, everyone could have their own personal flat response system (again, not necessarily full range).
    Or am I too simplistic in my view? ?(

C

• I'm afraid you are. What differentiates a real cab from a completely linear audio system can't often be attributed to eq only.

At the same time, any n-band eq would effectively make a device's response flat only if the deviations from flatness would exactly correspond to the curve the eq can generate, which is highly unlikely. You'd need a parametric eq with freq, Q and filtering order freely settable, and this even would not guarantee a perfect match.

The real solution to your quest for linearity would be to buy a real system that gets as close to linearity as your money can buy.
    ATM, the best option in terms of P/Q would be an active AA CLR.

• I also had this idea some time ago. At that time i was struggeling to get decent results out of my old JBL Eons. In fact those speakers sounded terrible with the profiler. So i started using the auto EQ of the DEQ2496 with a RTA mic. The results were quite good really. However i got 2 DXR12 a little later and the DXRs sounded better than this config out of the box. Right now i am using the DEQ2496 with my studio monitors for minor corrections. I am not playing live too much at the moment, but i would possibly consider to get another DEQ if i would. As always, huge impacts on the EQ will possibly not save an unusable signal, but i can make a good sounding system even better.

Getting such an auto EQ function into the profiler seems like a nice idea but it also has its risks. Unskilled users might even ruin their whole system with it.

• The real solution to your quest for linearity would be to buy a real system that gets as close to linearity as your money can buy.
    ATM, the best option in terms of P/Q would be an active AA CLR.

Thanks! I realize it's best to get a cab designed to be a FRFR from the get go but if you don't have one (or in my case, sometimes I can't bring it), would be nice to use whatever was available at the venue and flat line - as best as possible. For example, running the Kemper with the cab sims ON to the FOH, some sound guys bump the bass up too much, Having this option could at least ensure I get even (consistent) tone wherever I go, built right into the Kemper, regardless how good/bad the FOH sound guy is. Again, not doubting the limitations of getting a complete flat response but certainly something usable and pleasant. Like tylerhb mentioned/implied, "quite good" sound.

I guess I could just go out and buy a DEQ2496 but I need to buy some more commercial profiles!!! <3

C

• Well, if you really want to go that route, tools to achieve what you're aiming at are already available. No need to wait for them to be implemented in the Profiler (you'd have to buy a measurement mic anyway) :)

• Well, if you really want to go that route, tools to achieve what you're aiming at are already available. No need to wait for them to be implemented in the Profiler (you'd have to buy a measurement mic anyway) :)

They are, I have a DEQ2496 and a reference mic. If your using your own PA, great for initial setup in a practice room or if you have made any equipment changes to get you ball park figures, BUT, in a live situation you don't get the time to do it and the venue wont thank you for it, especially if there are customers in the gig space! You need silence to do it properly and loud pink noise will not get you any fans.

Tweaking frequencies to obtain a flat response often doesn't sound "right" either. It can sound too artificial and boring - flat in fact :D

Every venue is different, and you will have to make adjustments to compensate anyway to try and get "your sound". Best test for that is go stand out front and listen.

Tip - if your a guitarist and don't use wireless, or your cable is too short - record a loop during sound check, then walk out and listen to that in the mix.

Steve

• Sure, committing the sound system and the room and people in order to make a private measurement won't make you any popular :D
    Of course this stands true for the Profiler and for any other system as well.

Furthermore, in a real room the sound changes from spot to spot, and also depends on the number of people.
    Taking such a measurement can slightly improve things at the mic position only (unless you take several samples and average them, which would open up to a number of further issues).

Basically, the only way to have a really health sound would be a very linear PA in a very musical (professionally designed and treated) room.