Very Basic Questions

• Hi everyone, I have recently begun looking into the Kemper as an option for my guitar rig. I also run a studio, so I think it would be useful for that, as well. I have some very basic questions that I think you'll be able to easily help me out with. They are probably pretty dumb questions, but again, I don't know too much about the Kemper yet, and have never used one.

1) I understand that when you profile your own amps, you go through an initial profile step, and then a "refinement" step if you wish. I'm not sure exactly what refinement does - measure the dynamics of your playing? If you download someone else's profiles, are you supposed to run the refinement step with your own guitar/pickups/hands, even though you don't own the profiled amp, or does it not work that way? Can refinement only be done when you initially profile the amp and have it connected?

2) Can you save different presets of the same profiled amp, but with different delay settings/tap tempos on each patch?

3) If I'm using the Kemper live, do I need the Kemper Footswitch, or is there some cheaper footswitch I could use to swap presets/patches? My main need is just to switch to a tuner mode (not sure if that's possible with the Kemper Footswitch), and to turn on delay/boost for leads.

4) I understand that before firmware 3.0, the amp/cab/mic were profiled together as one unit. If you profile your amp and cab, and then run the Kemper through your real cab, but turn the kemper Cab off, how close does it sound to the real amp through the real cab?

Thanks so much!

• Welcome! :)

1) Refinement is done as a step in the profiling process, yes. And it is something to do with dynamics, as you allude to.

2) Yes! They're not called presets but profiles (the "presets" are like presets of a certain pedal for instance, which you can add to a profile). You can save your own presets, and you can save tweaked profiles as well

3) Yes - look up uno4kemper and the other one which I forget the name of. They are based on the Behringer FCB1010. One of them even displays the tuner.

4) Supposedly 100% authentic - more or less :) Other people with experience with this can chime in. In general, if the cab is the same as what was connected when doing the profile, it SHOULD be 100% accurate.