Back of cab micing and other non-standard mic positions

• Hopefully someone who has a kemper will see this.

Can someone try an experiment for me please? I would like to hear 3 profiles of an amp where the cab has been mic'd from the following positions

1) The back
    2) 3 feet away from the front of the amp about 30 inches left or right of the center of the cone
    3) 1 foot above the amp and 6 inches in front of the amp pointing directly downwards

I am interested to see how the kemper copes with this sort of mic positioning as I use a variety of positions when micing my amps to give a bigger/less harsh sound as I'm not a fan of the "directly in front of the speaker" tone.

many thanks

• It takes sometime to organize something like that, and I believe that most of the people are trying to get familiar with the more conventional stuff. I'll be back in studio for a profiling session (cannot do it at home, WAY too loud, I've tried it) next week, if I have enough time I'll give it a shot with an H&K Triamp that I want to have in the Kemper. Cannot promiss anything, it cost 90 €/hour... ;(

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• It takes sometime to organize something like that, and I believe that most of the people are trying to get familiar with the more conventional stuff. I'll be back in studio for a profiling session (cannot do it at home, WAY too loud, I've tried it) next week, if I have enough time I'll give it a shot with an H&K Triamp that I want to have in the Kemper. Cannot promiss anything, it cost 90 €/hour... ;(

Many thanks, I appreciate that. I do actually have a Kemper on order (ordered it early October 2011) and I keep being assured that it will be here "soon". I'm hoping that the profile process really does capture the cabinet and is not just an elaborate EQ curve as I have based my purchase on the Kemper blurb so I hope it's accurate :)

• Many thanks, I appreciate that. I do actually have a Kemper on order (ordered it early October 2011) and I keep being assured that it will be here "soon". I'm hoping that the profile process really does capture the cabinet and is not just an elaborate EQ curve as I have based my purchase on the Kemper blurb so I hope it's accurate :)

Well, what I can say is that the different cabinets sounds as they are supposed to do (based on my experience), and they react dynamically to the different kind of amps. Profiling a modeler with IRs results, IMHO, to a more natural sounding result than the source... 8| difficult to explain but clearly there

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Many thanks, I appreciate that. I do actually have a Kemper on order (ordered it early October 2011) and I keep being assured that it will be here "soon". I'm hoping that the profile process really does capture the cabinet and is not just an elaborate EQ curve as I have based my purchase on the Kemper blurb so I hope it's accurate :)

Hey Jon.
    Welcome! Lance here...I didn't feed you "blurb" did I? :D

Definitely not an elaborate EQ curve.

When you change cabs you hear and feel the difference, of course the EQ
    changes but the feel of the distortion changes, the 'thump' is
    different..let's put it this way, you know there hasn't just been an EQ
    change.

Your idea of miking from those strange positions is an interesting one...I have no doubt it will work, but I think it might be you doing for the first time...I look forward to that.

• If the profiled sound is as good as the monitor sound of the real amp with all the air and cabinet magic dust then I will be happy. I had the AxeFX Ultra last year but sold that as it just didn't sound right to me. Everytime that I have gone down the digital route thus far I have always gone back to my tube amps so I just hope the Kemper lives up to the hype. Thus far all the user demos I have heard are with a microphone rammed staight up as close as they can get to the speaker and this really doesn't do an amp sound justice. The combination of speaker cone and sounds further away and from the back of the amp are what makes a great guitar recorded sound to my ears. It lets the sound breath and gives it life.

• Hello Lance, I didn't recognise you with your new name :)

Don't worry, it's not your blurb that I based my decision on it's the various Kemper interviews on youtube and the sales blurb in the brochures etc that made me pull the trigger. Hopefully a good decision :)

Jon

• Hello Lance, I didn't recognise you with your new name :)

Don't worry, it's not your blurb that I based my decision on it's the various Kemper interviews on youtube and the sales blurb in the brochures etc that made me pull the trigger. Hopefully a good decision :)

Jon

I used my TGP name, mistake. :rolleyes: ..should have gone with CrazyD. :)

Jon, you've been miking amps for years, you've always done a great job.
    I even remember when you mic'd that little mini Marshall MS2 of yours and got a killer tone. :D
    You'll be making killer Profiles, I have no doubt.

I've got a guitarist down here, big time pro, who wants to make a Profile of the Mesa Dual Rectifier and DrZ Route66 he uses to record.
    The engineer reckons, why not, mike both amps, send the mike's into a mixer, mixer into Kemper, blend the mike levels/positions until both amps sound good together, and Profile....basically you'll have a dual amp in one profile....so anything is possible.