cables confusion- which cable should I buy for spdif connection?

• Hello,
    sorry for my dumb question but I'd like to connect the kemper with the audio interface through spdif for reamping purposis, but I don't know which cable should I buy; I saw on thomann a variety of cables for connecting digital interfaces. Does it work an optical cable like a "sssnake Optical Cable"(Standard digital cable ADAT, S/PDIF optical it said) for example or do I need a proper s/pdif interface cable like a "Cordial CPDS1"? and also do I need two of them for connecting in & out simultaneously?

Best regards

• Yup, that's the one (one of them, at least). Seems to be the cheapest proper spdif cable from thomann. You can get them in longer versions too.

Yes, you'd need two of them, unless you want to switch inputs/outputs on both ends between recording and reamping.

A bit more in depth: S/PDIF is not actually a cable type, rather it is a communication protocol. That's why you can also (for some equipment) use optical connectors for S/PDIF connections. I think it's similar with ADAT, AES and other types).

The Kemper does not have an optical output, so you need the cables with the RCA connector types (as the cable you linked to).
    That means that your interface must also support the RCA type S/PDIF connectors of course. Otherwise you'd need at converter in between.

You CAN in theory connect kemper and interface with "regular" RCA audio cables, but it's a bit "iffy"... Proper spdif cables conform to certain specifications that the "audio" type don't follow. Always go with the proper spdif types, unless you're just messing around.

Which interface do you have?