KPA froze up on gig

• hi everybody,
    well, it happened again. my KPA froze up on another gig. this also happened a little over a month ago. this time it was a little different though. i have my non-powered KPA midi'd up to my liquid foot 12+. my midi cables are basically brand new and are high quality cables. anyways, i powered up my KPA, powered up my liquid foot 12+ and then connected the midi cables to the liquid foot. everything was working perfectly until the power supply for the liquid foot was mistakenly unplugged by another musician. i immediately plugged it back in and my KPA became unresponsive. it was unresponsive to the liquid foot and the front panel was unresponsive when i manually tried to change patches (or anything else). suddenly, the screen changed from the patch i was on and just read "kemper profiler". it was frozen. the crazy thing was that it was still frozen in the state when i powered the unit off.

eventually the unit powered off. i unplugged the KPA and i also unplugged the liquid foot controller as well as disconnecting the midi cables from the liquid foot. i powered the KPA back on and it was responsive when i manually adjusted it via the front panel. i thought everything was going to be OK. wrong..... i reconnected the liquid foot and the freeze happened again. i went through the entire process of unplugging everything and then plugging it back in and the freeze happened again. luckily, the front panel worked when the midi cable wasn't plugged in so i ran out to my car and grabbed a volume pedal and a wah pedal and had to change patches and switch on/off pedals and effects manually the entire night (which is hard to do when you need both hands to play the guitar).

does anyone have any idea why this happened?

• I bet it's got something to do with the midi communication between Liquid Foot and the Profiler.
    You should open a support ticket and additionally do some midi signal monitoring (with an app like midi ox for Windows or Snoize for Mac) to try to replicate what's causing the freezes.

• To connect/disconnect anything other than analog audio cables while powered up is IMHO like asking for trouble. The KPA's I/O-code is anything but robust it seems. Unrecognised and/or incomplete data on MIDI or USB may leave the unit locked in a state waiting for completion of input data.

• Have you been able to determine if plugging in the Foot Controller after startup seemed to be the problem?

Might be time to consider getting an Uninterrupted Power Supply unit? If you don't have a power conditioner you could also get the UPS with Surge Protection. If it was me I would try to find a lightweight one as hose things can be damn heavy.