The 'Foundational Sonics of the KPA' thread (officially sanctioned by CK)

• PS: I understand 'Hockensmith' is a German name, which means 'the maker of garden tools' (I like that). 'Hadley' is English, and it literally means 'from the Heath Forest' - maybe that's why I smell so good? 8o

If you don't send those examples soon, you will not smell good but fishy for some people here. :whistling:

(P.S. Probably you already do) :D

• PS: I understand 'Hockensmith' is a German name, which means 'the maker of garden tools' (I like that). 'Hadley' is English, and it literally means 'from the Heath Forest' - maybe that's why I smell so good? 8o

Hocken is a german word, something like crouching, sitting down. Smith is just the usual english name, nothing german, in german Smith is Schmidt. So your name is Crouchingsmith or Hockenschmidt....what you gonna take? :D

• Thanks for the info 8) I'll go with Hockenschmidt! 'Smith' usually denotes a craft or specialty, a la 'locksmith', 'goldsmith', etc. When Koinonia toured in Germany (many moons ago), I was somehow listed as 'Headley Huttenschmidt' on the posters! 8o

All modelers known to man 8o

• Ok guys - I will be needing some help with this 'tone matching' endeavor I have agreed to for Christoph. I am not currently set up to do instant comparison recordings between a live amp and a KPA profile - please tell me what is the most straight-ahead method for doing this. I am pretty good at guitar playing and electronics, bit I am not an audio engineer, nor do I posses a thorough understanding of signal routing in a mixing board (in my experience, that has always been handled by others). I have mainly used an Akai DPS-24 as both my mixing board and recorder, although I also am using Logic 9 on my MacBook Pro. Any help/advice would be much appreciated, as I currently have limited access to my music rooms... Please keep in mind that I am a Mac guy!

Thanks in advance,
    Hadley

• Ok guys - I will be needing some help with this 'tone matching' endeavor I have agreed to for Christoph. I am not currently set up to do instant comparison recordings between a live amp and a KPA profile - please tell me what is the most straight-ahead method for doing this. I am pretty good at guitar playing and electronics, bit I am not an audio engineer, nor do I posses a thorough understanding of signal routing in a mixing board (in my experience, that has always been handled by others). I have mainly used an Akai DPS-24 as both my mixing board and recorder, although I also am using Logic 9 on my MacBook Pro. Any help/advice would be much appreciated, as I currently have limited access to my music rooms... Please keep in mind that I am a Mac guy!

Thanks in advance,
    Hadley

What you will need to do is profile an amp that you feel has great representation of what you want to capture, Do what you want to refine the profile. in order to do a more scientific comparison, DO NOT move the mic, and then find a way to record both the output of your captured profile in the kemper with your setup and mic position, AND the real amp AT THE SAME TIME, with the same playing. That way your guitar is triggering both at the same time and any discrepancies in dynamics and feel will be revealed more accurately..

• This is the simplest and quickest way for me:

First connect the SPDIF output of your KPA to the Akai DPS-24 SPDIF input or use any other audio device you have available for recording. Setup everything to profile one amp where you noticed the issue you are talking about. Take a profile and refine it, but don't save it. Once you are happy with the results and before you save it, hit record on your DAW or audio recording device and play with your guitar the same thing, switching between the profile and the reference amp using the buttons the KPA offers for that purpose while profiling. Play switching back and forward from the reference amp to the profile until you think you have captured what you want to demonstrate. You can then edit your track to only contain those parts that show that clearly and you are done.

That is what I do to compare when I take my profiles. What Audioholic suggested would be more accurate but probably not so straight forward.

• This is the simplest and quickest way for me:

First connect the SPDIF output of your KPA to the Akai DPS-24 SPDIF input or use any other audio device you have available for recording. Setup everything to profile one amp where you noticed the issue you are talking about. Take a profile and refine it, but don't save it. Once you are happy with the results and before you save it, hit record on your DAW or audio recording device and play with your guitar the same thing, switching between the profile and the reference amp using the buttons the KPA offers for that purpose while profiling. Play switching back and forward from the reference amp to the profile until you think you have captured what you want to demonstrate. You can then edit your track to only contain those parts that show that clearly and you are done.

That is what I do to compare when I take my profiles. What Audioholic suggested would be more accurate but probably not so straight forward.

This is also what i would suggest if you are not that much into recording. At least you have an identical recording chain out of the KPA this way.

To make a real fair comparison you would have to reamp the same DI input file into both setups. This can be little tricky though.

• Make sure your akai is locked tithe incoming spdif signal to prevent clicking errors and glitches is u do use the digital in. I personally use an external mic Pre so this way wouldn't really work and yeah reamping would probably be the better way in your setup.

• As is often the case, this task turns out to be substantially more complicated than it sounds. I will try to get this done as our house becomes more normal again (I only profile when my wife is away for obvious reasons). Doing this kind of stuff does not pay any bills, nor does it inspire one to write new songs or work on one's craft, but it's on the list....

• Serves me right for staying up late, and surfing the Kemper User Forum. I stumble along some real gems, like this thread here that I have just resurrected.

Whatever came of this?

Well, that was a decidedly rhetorical question. It is quite obvious that nothing ever did come of this, and Radley/Hadley never followed up with the promised soundclips for comparison and analysis...unless he started up an entirely different thread.

In any event, Radley may have gone back to his beloved modelers. When I checked his profile, I noted the following:

Most Recent Post: Apr 28th 2013
    Last Activity: Oct 26th 2014

Edited once, last by Tritium ().