Stage and volume

• I have my master volume locked on my stage to -25dB for the purpose of connecting XLR to PA for gigs. At practice (metalcore band), I have been having issues with volume keeping up with the other guitarist and drummer. I used to run monitor out from Stage through a SD Powerstage 200 into a 2x12 Mesa rectifier cab (Celestion V30s), sounds great except lacks some low end punch. I have the speaker sim off on the Kemper. I bought a Seismic audio 4x12, looking for more low end and symmetry on stage for gigs, and I have two speaker cables going out of the Powerstage to the cab. The Powerstage is clipping on both the preamp and power amp indicators, well below the volume required for practice.

Do I just need to get a better 4x12? I tested my setup in my bandmate’s Line 6 4x12 and it was definitely louder without clipping issues.

• Not sure, what "master volume locked" means. All parameters of the Output Section are already global by definition. And MASTER VOLUME doesn't scale in dBs as it's the master of all linked output volumes, which could be all over the place - those scale in dBs.

Perhaps you have unlinked your Main Output Volume from MASTER VOLUME and set this to -25dB. Or this is what you are intending to do. Now you can use MASTER VOLUME to adjust your Monitor Output Volume driving your external power amp independant of the level you usually send to FOH via MAIN OUTPUT.

I also don't understand why you need two speaker cables. The power amp is mono anyhow, isn't it? And the 4*12 cabinet might have a mono input.

If your external amp is already clipping while you are missing volume level, perhaps it doesn't have sufficient power. As far as I see, your cabinet has 8 ohms overall. At 8 ohms your SD power amp delivers 117 watts. Perhaps not sufficient for your kind of music.

• Thanks for your reply. I’m a dufus. You are correct - the power amp is mono and so is the cab. So just 1 speaker cable suffices and I’m lucky I didn’t bust any of my equipment.

Also, I did mean main volume locked and not master volume locked.

After a bunch of different combinations of power amps and cabinets (being careful to do a little reading ahead of time this go around) and messing with volume boost settings on the Kemper amp profile as well as rig volume setting, it comes down to the speaker cab. It’s really not the best for metalcore. My Mesa 2x12 with V30s blows it out of the water for both volume and cutting through the mix. I’m going to get a better quality 4x12.