Tip #26: A good profile

• is IMHO not a profile which needs additional eq's, wide effect, delay, reverb ...

but only the Stack - with the (stack) Eq neutral.

If this profile sounds great than this is a good profile.

If my profiles sounds week after profiling I don't add effects - but try a different microphone or mic position.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• btw. this does not mean that the use of EQ's are bad - the Kemper EQ's are a very powerful feature to deep edit any amp sound.

Here I talk about a raw profile - the Kemper is this great that a good profile should sound VERY close to the real thing.
    If it does not sound VERY close - then there is something wrong with the mic, mic position, preamp or whatever - and that should be fixed by using a different setup not by trying to 'fix' it with EQ's - or hide the week profile in delays or reverb.

The Kemper can sound very close to the real amp 'next to me' if profiled in the right way - and played at the same level via large FRFR speakers.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• Can you elaborate on how you set up the profile line? It appears you add a mic preamp between the Kemper and microphone?? or are you running straight from microphone to Kemper. Also, what methodology do you go for as far as adjustments after the profile....Sag, Definition, etc. I believe the compression adjustment in the amp block is for your clean volume level as you drop volume on your guitar in a more distorted setting. Interested to hear what parameters you feel really fine tune your profile, in your opinion, without the use of eq's and other stomp box features (compression, etc.)

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Can you elaborate on how you set up the profile line? It appears you add a mic preamp between the Kemper and microphone?? or are you running straight from microphone to Kemper. Also, what methodology do you go for as far as adjustments after the profile....Sag, Definition, etc. I believe the compression adjustment in the amp block is for your clean volume level as you drop volume on your guitar in a more distorted setting. Interested to hear what parameters you feel really fine tune your profile, in your opinion, without the use of eq's and other stomp box features (compression, etc.)

Yes, sure.

1) the amp and cab must sound great - even the same type of amp and cab may sound very different - so I search for a great combination

2) the microphone - I have several mics and choose the one which fit's best - it's easy for my own amps, since I know the best mic/amp combination - more difficult for amps from friends (especially if they do not record the amp)

3) Make a short recording of all - if it sounds great fine - if not change mic or placement

4) When all sounds great - start profiling

5) Yes, I use an external preamp - currently I use a small cheap Mackie mixer with VLZ3 preams.
    I need an external preamp because:
    a) I like to combine more than one mic
    b) Some of my mics need phantom power
    c) My Royer R121 sounds much better when I use the preamp instead of going direct to the KPA

6) I do a lot of A/B during the profiling session - and refine until I get as close as possible
    (unfortunately sounds the Kemper much better in browse mode as in profile mode - and we have no feature to refine the profile once it's stored - so I need to redo some profiles many times)

7) I store this raw profiles - without any effects and without any turning of knobs

8) Some time after the profiling session do I create 'rigs' (with advanced settings and effects) out of these raw profiles.
    By this do I have both 'processed profiles' and 'raw profiles'.