Commercial LP Profiles - making it clear how they have been produced

• My understanding is that there are two ways to produce an LP profile:

1. From scratch when creating a new profile; or
    2. By converting an existing profile where the original settings for the profile are known.

As vendors begin selling LP packs, I think it would be useful (and fair) if they clearly stated which of the two methods was used. If the purpose of this upgrade from Kemper is for the profiles to react more authentically to changes in the tone/gain section, then I wouldn't want to end up buying any profiles produced by method 2 where the vendors didn't keep a full record of original settings, but bolted on LP nevertheless.

There is the argument - if it sounds good, it is good; however, I don't want to buy the same profiles I have bought previously from a vendor that they have revamped to be LP, but not completely accurately.

Whilst not trying to cast aspersions, there could be a temptation for a vendor to revamp all their existing profiles to LP (without having to re-profile any amps) as the market moves to wanting LP profiles only, but fudging things a bit as the full original settings are not known.

Furthermore, if there is now a new preferred way to profile (I've seen people mention 'at max gain'), then even if the full settings were known (enabling method 2 to be used properly), if the amp wasn't profiled at full gain originally, the resulting LP profile will be sub optimal compared to an LP profile produced correctly under method 1.

• A big "+1" for this.

I also understand it, that a "real" LP should be profiled with full gain , all other settings at noon and no overdrive/boost pedals or the like. So even an existing profile where you noted all the settings (if you really did) wouldn't be a "real real" LP unless you randomly profiled with those full/noon settings. I'm with you: It would be more than fair by the vendors to clearly state which method was used when they offer LP.

I would really appreciate if the vendors catched new LP from the scratch with those recommended settings, one per channel/setting of switches etc and clearly flag them as the "scratch-position". Ideally we would then have one "original" profile per amp-channel from where we could dial in our personal tone like using a real amp.

If the vendors like, they can add 50 more profiles from their sweet spots or effects creations if they still think that one profile isn't enough to sell. But I always hated to switch through 80+ different profiles of one amp only to find that there are only small differences, some are absolutely useless with one or the other guitar or many have the same base sound only with different effect settings -> one good base LP profile would be enough for me to start from and dial in my tones.

Sure this would bring a new challenge to the commercial vendors: Of course one real Fnda Baseman from 65 doesn't sound like the other, but they should sound really equal at the same settings - and so should the profiles from vendor A and vendor B. If I'm not wrong, the biggest difference should be the question which speakers/boxes and mics were used and how they were positioned. So you would probably not buy the same amp model from different vendors (hoping there might be that 1 sweet rig in 80 that sounds even better than the ones you already have), but instead you would probably find your favorite seller even easier (whereas I'm sure, most of us have one or two already).