control SPDIF output level via Kemper

• Hi,

Could a master SPDIF output level be controllable directly via the Kemper?

I know that if the Kemper unit is connected to a soundcard that most soundcard software have a spdif level control assignable for monitor mixes, but not for the input into the DAW. So I in effect have no control over SPDIF on the input volume into my DAW EXCEPT for lowering the volume of the rigs themselves using the Volume knob (NOTE: not the Master Volume knob). This has upset my gain staging on my DAW presets and unfortunately its not a case of "just change your gain stage preset" as each rig tends to be different in level than the last.

Also, say I want to disconnect the Kemper and connect another device, then I need to re work the levels with SPDIF on the other device to maintain proper gain staging in my DAW.
    By keeping the SDIF controls locally within each connected device, I can "set and forget" each piece of equipment (including the Kemper) individually for my gain staging levels. This would make it a lot faster to just connect each device to my soundcard and get playing rather than have to tweak levels every time I connect a new piece of gear.

Also, what if you want to connect to a piece of equipment in a live setting via SPDIF but the receiving device does not have a spdif level control?

I think I have read on here that this feature was once available on the Kemper but it was removed. (I may be wrong on this...) I have my Kemper a little over 3 weeks now so I dont know if this option was in a previous firmware or not.

Regardless, could it be added / re-added to the next firmware update please?

Many thanks!
    -DD

• Does anyone know if this feature will be added in a future update?

I can't see how it wouldn't be an easy thing to implement... essentially some gain coding on the spdif output stage?
    I guess thats one for CK and his fellow magicians to answer properly though! :)

• i don´t see that much sense in that.

as spdif is digital you don´t need to gainstage, as the signal you send out of a spdif will be the same on the input...so if you don´t clip inside the kemper, you won´t clip the input of your soundcard

so, if the kemper sends out -2dbfs the input on your soundcard will receive -2dbfs (contrary to the analoge world, where different pieces of equipment operate with different reference-levels and headroom)

the rest is done via your monitoring mixer in your daw or soundcard

• I'd also like to have the Master Volume control the SPDIF since at home it is connected to the main TV/Music-Sound System. There is no individual input gain for all sources, so I have to adjust the output all the time. And uncompressed guitar is LOUD 8)

Keep up the fine work!!