Tone Controls Profiling - add to Refine Process?

• It would be great if it was possible to have an additional step in the profiling process to profile the minimum to maximum sweep of each tone control of the original amp while a signal is sent through it.

The signal could be sent, and each control would be swept from one extreme to the other, an the Kemper would anaylse the effect on the tone.

This would set the EQ to the proper frequency points, bandwidth, etc.

The controls would act just like on the amp.

It would only take one profile, not many to capture the tone range of the amplifier.

• Mhhh... I see a limit to this approach: on most amps ther tone controls are interactive: it would be impossible for the KPA to assign the "real" behaviour to each control. Multiple tests should be run anyway...

• That initially occurred to me as a limitation, too. But, if each individual control's range and effect on the signal matched the original, the interaction of the controls would also match the original (or, at the least, be strikingly similar). Those overlapping/additive/subtractive tonal effects from various knob positions would make a profile much more like the original amp.

For that matter, even if the interactivity isn't completely there, having the EQ points the same as on the source amp would make it much easier to dial in different amp-specific sounds from one profile.

The biggest limitation may be processing power - if profiling the four tone controls requires four times more horsepower, it may not be practical at this point. Or, maybe it can be done with the current hardware, and it is the kind of feature that will merit the designation of v2 or v3 (etc).

• Agreed with the thread.
    I was asking for a similar "deep profiling" months ago and I still think that it's a good idea to get a better match.
    I remember that Kemper should be preparing a library with a brunch of tone stacks, allowing us to use them with the profiles.
    By the way, after months, it's just secondary. Since it sounds great as it is :D

• Thanks - I found the quote:
    "We are building up a library for passive tone stacks so every amp can be equipped with the corresponding equalizer, even after the profile has been captured. The tone can be shaped then as on the original. But you can even choose another passive tone stack for your profile, or even a studio equalizer, that goes far beyond the boundaries again."

That would work for me :)

• I remember that Kemper should be preparing a library with a brunch of tone stacks, allowing us to use them with the profiles.

Does anyone know what came of this idea? CK himself mentioned in an interview somewhere but it's been a while since I heard anything more on this. More icing for an already fat cake :D

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• It seems to me we're talking of different things here.
    I hope we'll have the "real" tonestacks ASAP (even tho the concept has been never relounched by Kemper till now). But, to stay on topic, the point is it's impossible to acquire the amp tonestack's function transfer with a few passages. Not just because the controls overlap, but because controls' behaviour changes depending on other controls' position. Lots of passages should be taken into consideration, specially for those amps whose tonestack is quite complex.

I believe the easiest way to acchieve this would be with modelled tonestack from Kemper.
    OTOH, since there's a great number of amps in the world, I wonder how long it would take them to complete the task... provided they're still focused on it!

• I agree with you, dear Padrino.
    It's impossible to have a prefect match, but i think it would be better than nothing and I thought about this when the stack library wasn't a public idea ;)
    By the way i still think that CK should think to a deeper profiling proces.
    Think to a 3 step refining, with the guitar volume pot to 10, 6 and 2.
    I think that more information deliver a better result.