Development of Librarian Software?

• " i don't expect to have to compromise anymore"

Good luck with that. Life is compromise :)

EDITED: Sorry. I've no reason to be an a*hole.

No offense, man, and i hope i got you wrong and you were kidding, but when you buy a 100W tube head you don't expect to compromise on volume, right? That's why you're buying a 100W tube head.
    If i buy a high-end digital piece of gear, i don't expect to compromise versatility or ease of workflow - and for the most part, i don't.

I've no complaints, anyhow. Laurent's tool should definitely do the trick for me until performance mode is up and running.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• From the author's mouth, he got no feedback. Chances are not many folks were using it.

Possible, but not necessarily true.
    I don't evidently know anything about the matter, but if my experience is somehow meaningful, I can say that in the very first weeks of its existence the wiKPA was received by hundreds people, however I got only 3 or 4 feedbacks.
    This has proven to be true for the next issues as well: since the last one was announced a few days ago, the thread has been visited about 2,000 times.
    Of course I have no monitoring ability on the identity of the people who access my Dropbox or read the document, but it should be safe to assume that several hundreds people have at least opened it. I've received, overall, no more than a handful of feedbacks.

This teaches a lesson IMO: people over the Internet get caught by the "everything-is-for-free, everything-is-for-granted, I'm-entitled-to-everything" syndrome. Sometimes we don't even take the time to just thanks those who make things available for free, even if we do use them.
    Personally - and not trying to teach anyone anything here - I like to thanks members here for their efforts even tho I do not use what they develop\make available. I believe feedbacks are important for a person who spends tenths or hundreds hours of their free time to work on something and offers it for free.
    It might be casual, but after I wrote about general laziness here above in this thread, more feedbacks to Renaud have chimed in, if that means something.

• Of course everyone uses their KPA differently, I would never assume differently. From the author's mouth, he got no feedback. Chances are not many folks were using it. Are you actually changing the tags or just the name? I totally agree the renaming via the interface is a bit tedious, but do you really need to do that with 1,000 profiles? If your already editing with the interface it really only takes a little time to go ahead and edit the name too. What did you do with prior units which only allowed 100 to 200 presets? I'm not judging, simply curious.

Yep, I edited the tags, mostly "amp" and "cab" tags. The feature to sort by amp (among other criteria) is absolutely fantastic when you are at the beginning of a production and you are thinking about what sound to use. You might hearing a dirty Fender tweed sound in your head so you just "sort by amp" and browse through all your Fender profiles until you find the one you are looking for which fits the song.

But to make that work the amp tag needs to be filled out properly and consistent. Factory Fender Rigs all have "FAN" in their name, so they won't show up under "Fender". Many rigs from the exchange or even from Andy have the year at the beginning, but a "59 Twin" would also not show up when you scroll through "Fender".

So I needed to consolidate all the tags in all profiles otherwise the sorting wouldn't make much sense for me.

Other people have different criterias they are looking for and might use different tags and naming conventions so they might choose other tags to edit.

What I did before the KPA was pretty simple: I would go to the amp room and try all amps there until I find the one that I want for a song ;) With other digital devices (regardless if they were modellers or synthesizers) I always had an editor. Most of the time I had even integration in the DAW.

Anybody remember "Sounddiver" from Emagic before Apple took over? I used that for managing the programs of the original POD. I used the "studio module" in Cubase to manage patches for all my external MIDI-gear and that was in 1994 ;)

I also had a Virus TI that had a great integration into a DAW so it's not like the Kemper team doesn't know how to do it. I'm sure they will come up with something similar for the KPA.

• I was joking about a general need for flexibility - it wasn't personal, in the slightest way :)

Here is the "not in seven words" version:

We all have unique needs. We would all like to see our unique needs be perfectly met. Unfortunately, the only way that could happen would be for one persons unique needs to take precedence over everyone else's.

That's not you, or me, or any one person. That is all of us :)

Expecting something to be perfect rarely matches the reality of something - it invariably leads to some degree of disappointment or frustration.

I bought mine before there was any indication that librarian software would eventually be available. If it would not have had adequate capabilities for me at the time, I wouldn't have bought it.

When an editor does come, it may perfect for just about everyone, but I've never seen any product that was perfect for everyone. There will be those who would prefer a full-blown editor. There will be those who would prefer a simpler librarian.

And, some people have indicated they feel no need for one at all. They are being compromised by it being developed instead of something else.

:D

This teaches a lesson IMO: people over the Internet get caught by the "everything-is-for-free, everything-is-for-granted, I'm-entitled-to-everything" syndrome. Sometimes we don't even take the time to just thanks those who make things available for free, even if we do use them.
    Personally - and not trying to teach anyone anything here - I like to thanks members here for their efforts even tho I do not use what they develop\make available. I believe feedbacks are important for a person who spends tenths or hundreds hours of their free time to work on something and offers it for free.
    It might be casual, but after I wrote about general laziness here above in this thread, more feedbacks to Renaud have chimed in, if that means something.

You are right, but I wouldn't blame the internet. Real life is no different at all (for the most part).

90% of the game is half-mental.

• To me, the second USB port did imply some future software was coming ... the lack of explanation of what it would be used for implied no timeline would be given until it was closer to a release.

Or in seven words ... if you build it, they will come! :D

Cheers,

jayson