Reamping with S/PDIF, what about the effects?

• hi folks,

thanks to ingolf and a little help from my friends, i have started to reamp. so far, so good.
    i have one dry track and one wet. good. i can listen to my profile with all the effects, but it is not
    on the track in (my case) cubase? is that right or do i miss something? the reamping itself works
    smoothly and the latency is way beyond noticeable so i even did not need to check the "secret trick" of
    steady latency somewhere. so far, so good.
    my problem is that i cannot afford an expensive version of cubase with good effects.
    is there a way to download decent VST effects somewhere? i could afford reaper, does reaper software
    come up by default with good effects? i urgently need a good reverb and delay, too.

help is appreciated

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Geraldo, of course you can record delay and reverb and the whole signal chain - just switch SPDIF output to mono master.
    This is not recommended though, as it's nearly always better to add delay and reverb later in your DAW.
    There are tons of free and decent VST plugins available, just go search http://www.kvraudio.com/ as an example.
    Also (because you asked): yes, Reaper comes with a pretty impressive feature set of FX, all very good quality.

• thank you very much indeed, ingolf. so i can record the whole chain with effects, but not as the wet track of
    the "bundle" of dry/wet when using S/PDIF out set to stack/git? correct?
    but it is better to add effects after recording? that's what my teacher told me to do back in 1992! (he has become a famous producer,
    but unfortunately has quit playing).
    and, hey that's true?, reaper comes with good effects? i will try the 60-day trial then. thanks again!

any further comments from the gang?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• A lot of consfusion here it seems....

Of course you can use full stereo fx from the KPA when you are reamping. You just need to change the output configuration for either situation. When you are tracking, you want to record your dry guitar signal and the KPA signal at once, so you choose dry/stack for the SPDIF output. When reamping, you dont need the dry output anymore. So you can switch the SPDIF out to Stereo. Also you would need to record a stereo track in your DAW. The best thing is to create presets in the output section for either situation. Just use the store function after configuring your outputs...

On the other hand recoding wouthout FX always is preferable as long as you have nice DAW plugins and know you dial in the sounds...

• Thanks guys,

it is getting clearer day by day, thanks to your help. btw: i have read the freakin' manual (RTFM ... ;) ) and i have got a headache now. :D

quote from page 11: "The left signal is the pure instrument, with noise gate and volume pedal (if volume pedal is set to “Pre Stomps”). The right signal side will carry the Stack signal and
    does not include any post amp effects ..."

my intention when i bought the addtional hardware for reamping purposes was to fumble around with it a little while and then leave it as a possibility to use when mixing.
    my problem now is the above stated fact: when using git/stack i by definition do get two mono tracks. right? and the wet one does not carry reverb and delay with it. i find
    it a little bit on the not-so-inspiring side when recording without those two effects. but okay, did i understand it correctly? this the way it is? recording with a profile of my
    choice, dry signal on the first S/PDIF channel, wet on the second one. so far, so not good, but okay.

i then had understood one or two tipps from viabcroce the wrong way, because afaik he and also tyler mentioned that they record a clean aka left mono track only for the
    case of reamping in case they could find another rig better suited for the mix when it is nearer final stadium. i can easily imagine such a situation. okay.
    but you can only RECORD via this git/stack method some kind of guide track without effects? is that right? i just want to be sure that i understand it correctly.
    what i began to like very much with the KPA was that i DID NOT have to add effects later in my DAW, because - as i told you already - i have only a very old cubase
    with good effects but this has been sent to retirement home already and lacks many functions i appreciate for my superior drummer and was made for WinXP.
    My current software is cubase essential and effects are almost none and the few effects are far from intuitive like in the effects slots of the KPA.

i feel like fighting againsta hydra, one problem solved, another one appears. the question i put to myself is: upgrading to cubase7 artist version which is affordable or
    switching to reaper which is really cheap compared to steinberg. but i have used the steinberg-24-III on the atari back in those days, it would be no easy way for me to
    say goodbye, but somehow it is time. is it not? what do ya think?

post scriptum: your tipp record a stereo track was good. somehow i find a stereo track easier to mix! :thumbup:

• Yes, that's correct.

what i began to like very much with the KPA was that i DID NOT have to add effects later in my DAW, because - as i told you already - i have only a very old cubase
    with good effects but this has been sent to retirement home already and lacks many functions i appreciate for my superior drummer and was made for WinXP.
    My current software is cubase essential and effects are almost none and the few effects are far from intuitive like in the effects slots of the KPA.

I understand.
    Concerning 'stack recording being unispiring': you can always monitor your analog signal in full wetness, either in your studio monitors or with another monitor like in my case, an Atomic CLR.

i feel like fighting againsta hydra, one problem solved, another one appears. the question i put to myself is: upgrading to cubase7 artist version which is affordable or
    switching to reaper which is really cheap compared to steinberg. but i have used the steinberg-24-III on the atari back in those days, it would be no easy way for me to
    say goodbye, but somehow it is time. is it not? what do ya think?

One thing is for sure: Upgrading your DAW is mandatory in the longer run if you want to do more serious recording.
    If you prefer sticking with Cubase or leaving Steinberg is up to you.
    Like I said before, though I was a Cubase supporter since VST days I decided to leave the ship years ago because Cubase had become more and more bloated, the dongle is so retro and slows the software down, etc.
    Trying Reaper or Studio One which is also coded in Hamburg by Wolfgang Kundrus (early Cubase developer and main Nuendo author) and Matthias Juwan (writer of the VST3 specification) (=Cubase without the bloat) is very much recommended in my opinion.

• Geraldo, you still have not fully understood the concept. You don´t need to add any FX in your DAW at all if you like the FX ftom the KPA.

The problem is that for stereo you always need two channels, left and right. If you want to do reamping you lose one channel because you need to transfer the dry signal on one side of the SPDIF. This means you create two mono tracks in your DAW and select the "git/stack" or "git/mod" output configuration on the KPA. This means you wont record any Delay or Reverb on the mono track.

But this is not really a problem, it only requires you to do an additional reamping step. Simply send the dry track back to the KPA for reamping. Switch the SPDIF back to "master stereo" and record a streo track in your DAW. This time you have the full stereo signal from the KPA including FX.

• ... or even easier maybe:
    Keep the S/PDIF interface for your recording of Git/Stack.
    When you do ReAmping, you go through S/PDIF In with your dry guitar track but you record analog Main Outputs as stereo track. This way you don't have to switch the Profiler's configuration AND your DAW's input configuration/track setting.

• ingolf and tyler: thank you very much indeed for your detailed answers. :thumbup:

now i have understood the concept, tyler. finally! 8o the problem is that i cannot read a manual, or at least this manual, because it is written for those
    who know those things already. but the KPA manual is not the only one. it IS difficult to write a good one and ---- time consuming. the cubase manual
    is not much better, but at least it has 450 pages ... anyway, this has been understood by geraldo now: i can use indeed the KPA effects which are easy
    to understand and intuitive to handle, but only after recording the combination of two mono tracks.

about cubase, i seriously ponder about leaving the ship after 27 years. maybe you will read further questions in this subforum about reaper by myself ;( :D .

thanks again, cheers

• ... or even easier maybe:
    Keep the S/PDIF interface for your recording of Git/Stack.
    When you do ReAmping, you go through S/PDIF In with your dry guitar track but you record analog Main Outputs as stereo track. This way you don't have to switch the Profiler's configuration AND your DAW's input configuration/track setting.

okay. but as tyler described this does not solve the issue of two mono tracks, does it? the switching is not so much of a problem for me and ingolf is right:
    i can monitor my favourite sound with delay and reverb while recording the wet/dry combi. all is well now :thumbup: