Posts by ofir123

While staying with Radial, there is another option in the ProD2 (link here). It doesn't have the premium Jensen transformer, but it is still a premium product and I think it is much better value. You'll feel less guilty about kicking it around the floor - I had a JDI that I subsequently sold to a studio owner I know, as I was too precious about it to take it to gigs! Also, I suspect no-one in the world is going to notice the difference between the JDI and the ProD2 at a live gig.

thank you very much for everything.

your answers helped me a lot.

and what if i connect the kemper to JDI, like you said "Kemper (line level) --> JDI " , but i don't turn on the -15dB pad switch?

And if I connect the kemper to passive DI (a good one, like JDI radial), the input level of the DI and the output level of the DI is the same?

That is, does the passive DI lower me the level of the signal?

it's all clear.

but in the first massage you said : "(Kemper in this case)" when you talked about active DI,

and in second massage you said : "If I could carry only one it would be passive"

Happened to be reading back through this thread, and while the OP has found a suitable solution (a phantom power blocker) I though it might be useful for others reading to clear up some information on different devices:

1. Phantom power blocker - contains DC blocking caps that prevent damage to sensitive mics and equipment such as ribbon mics.
    2. Passive DI box - contains a transformer, which can usually be tapped at various points so that it can be 1:1, or step down with attenuation switches marked e.g. 0dB (unity) -20dB and -40dB although this is impacting upon impedance and may be sub-optimal; input and output impedances are also dependent on what is connected to the DI box, so you're not going to find a perfect 'one-box-solution' for mic, instrument, line and speaker level sources. Unless a high quality (=expensive) transformer is used, it is likely to add harmonic distortion particularly at low frequencies, especially when driven beyond the parameters it was optimised for. A linear frequency response is also unlikely on more affordable units, but this isn't always an issue for guitar as it is most likely to be a drop-off at either end of the frequency spectrum.
      Passive DIs have the advantage that there is physical isolation of lines, adding more protection against wayward voltage under certain failure conditions. You have to be careful where you place a passive DI though; if it is near a mains transformer it will induce hum.
    3. Active DI box - no transformer - uses active electronic circuitry to present a constant input impedance to the source (Kemper in this case) and a constant output impedance to the destination (mixer). Given that it is already an active unit, you can often find models that also incorporate further active processing such as EQ or pre-amplification. This is where 'active' gets confused with meaning 'preamp'. An active preamp doesn't mean that it will amplify the signal; a 'basic' active DI has all the same applications source-wise as a passive, except that it may well have a more linear frequency response and be less prone to harmonic distortion due to the design of the circuit, and the cost is likely to reflect this. The active circuit can also provide the -20dB, -40dB etc. to attenuate input levels without it also affecting the impedance, so the efficient voltage transfer that you require for your signal to pass unencumbered can happen. No physical isolation, requires either battery or phantom power to operate. I think the 'active = larger signal' association comes from active guitar pickup systems, where the pickup system contains a preamp as part of its active electronics. It wouldn't be the first time the guitar world has blurred our definitions a little (I'm looking at you, tremolo arm!).
    4. Line Isolating Transformer - contains a 1:1 transformer, and is very much the same as a passive D.I. in concept but the impedance values based on transformer windings are suitable or line level sources and destinations. While mic level signals are typically less than 1V, line level can be up to around 8V, driven by a source impedance of less than 100 ohms, with the output connected to a mixer or active speaker input (for example) that will typically be 10k ohms. The impedance of a 'mic level DI' with a step-down ration will be wildly inappropriate for line level sources, hence, these are different devices.
      Also provides isolation from voltage shorts through connected equipment. Usually features ground lift in addition to isolation through transformer to help solve a number of issues with humming monitors, speakers etc.

Happy to discuss any of the above if I've missed something.
    All the best

wow.

thanks!!!

so the kemper is actually a active DI ?

Yep, peaking around -12 dBFS and averaging or -20 dBFS is a good starting point when mixing. It’s laudable you try and get things to a sensible output level prior to arriving at a gig. There are many variables though between live sound rigs that will mean you’ll always have to talk to the engineer and they will want to set levels based on real signal. For example, the analogue operating level of different desks can vary by a significant amount. Also, you’ll have almost exclusively mic inputs on-stage, meaning the engineer will PAD down those that you feed with your Kemper, which outputs line level. PAD functions on different desks and their associated stageboxes vary. Many are -20dB but you’ll find -15dB and -30dB. This means the mix engineer’s workflow will be to pad, then increase input gain until they meter where they want them to. I think the most important thing to tell your mix engineer is that you are outputting line level, not mic level, so that they can be prepared.

thank you

I will find out about phantom power blocker.

thank you

hum.. Honestly I don't Know, You should have to try a bit to dial with it and check by Yourself,

.. anyway consider that you can get as 'Loudness reference' the Crunck Rig You can find in any 1st slot of any empty Performance.

Times ago I've used it to compare My others rigs' Volume.. I've measured that it's around -15 db.

So.. anyhow You measure the output with Your soundcard/daw ..cosider that Rig as Reference.

thank you

we talking about RMS measure, right?

Likewise, I understand the kemper needs no such device as it delivers a balanced output with protection from phantom power.

Would a guarantee from the manufacturer give you the reassurance you seek?

There is always a minor risk connecting your gear to other equipment as you can never be 100% certain the external gear is without having fault. Maybe the di box will eliminate this risk or at the very least give you peace of mind.

there is a guarantee from the manufacturer , but they recommend avoiding it

this is from the user manual of the kemper :

"The XLR outputs are protected against 48V
    phantom power fed by a mixing desk. However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the PROFILER if you
    want the best audio quality"

to measure how many db your Kemper send out, You should have to plug it into a daw and check with a db meter plugin,but to get it very short:

- 1st check the led above the output soft button: when you play, it shoud always have to light green, almost never orange, never Red.

- 2nd check the gain You're giving to the mixer channel where you connect your Kemper.

for sure there's a clip led associated to that input: it never have to go red.

i can plug it into a daw, but the signal goes through audio interface and his pre amp

hey,

i know that the soundmen like to get signal between -12db to -18 db in digital mixers and signal about 0db in analog mixers.

How can I know how much db my kemper send out to the mixer? maybe too loud or too low?

How can I measure it?

thank you

And if I connect bass with passive pickups to the kemper, the answer is the same?

The better option is a passive DI ?

The rule of thumb is how are you connecting to the board. With an active source or passive.The Kemper is active (powered) you would want to use a passive D.I. If you were plug a guitar directly into the board without the Kemper, you would then want an active D.I. as your source is passive.

So the answer to your question is passive D.I.

thank you very much.

Just for understanding, If I connect active DI after the kemper anyway, That would be a problem?

thanks again

hey,

i want to protect my kemper from phantom power(our mixer is on the phantom in all inputs)

i know that the XLR outputs of the kemper are protected but I want to be sure.

do i need active or passive DI?

On the one hand I play electric guitar with passive pickups (so I would think about active DI) , On the other hand the signal

of the electric guitar goes through the kemper, and the signal going from the kemper to the mixer pretty loud (so I would think about passive DI)

so what DI do i need?

thank you