Posts by Frank67a

Just to follow up on this:

I did the experiment, where I recorded something directly via the Kemper and at the same time through a Helios preamp in the Apollo.

Then I played both direct tracks back through the same profile in the Kemper. It may not be entirely surprising that they sounded very similar, but I would still give a slight edge to the direct track that was recorded through the Unison preamp (a bit fuller, a tad "rounder"). Probably not something one would ever hear in a full mix, but that kind of difference has probably never stopped any guitar player from obsessing over it :) So I'll probably record my direct tracks through the Unison preamps in the future.

I am actually fairly happy with the workflows I am having now as the recording and reamping (both through the Kemper and real amps) is both very convenient and comes with next to no fiddling. I still have to work out how to set all the levels correctly but it does not seem to be too hard at the end of the day.

I was toying around with replacing the Kemper cabs with Ownhammer of Amp Factory IRs in my DAW recently.

For the profiles I made myself it was a step up since I am not a professional recording engineer and hence my mic'ing technique was probably not so great. For well made professional profiles it is probably open to debate. But, yes, it seems to be a very viable way to work with the Kemper in a recording situation.

I wanted to come back to this. I received the Apollo yesterday and started dabbling around with it.

This is the way I have set it up presently:

- guitar into Kemper

- Kemper S/PDIF out to Apollo and pickup signal in Logic (works)

- Kemper direct out (set to GIT Studio) into Apollo line input 8 (works)

- Apollo S/PDIF out to Kemper. Set Kemper to S/PDIF revamp input upon playing back the direct signal. (Works)

(- Optional: Apollo Line Out 8 to Palmer Dacapo ReAmp box in case I want to ReAmp with a real amp (Works))

It took a while to identify all the correct ports in Logic, but now it works but I am wondering whether what I am doing is the best way?

- On the Kemper there is no Control over the hotness of the signal going with GIT Studio to Direct Out and in the Apollo does not let me adjust input level on input 8.

- In Logic, I see a rather weak direct signal (say -24 dB peak or so when strumming reasonably hard). I guess, I would be happier seeing a signal like -12 dB or so.

- upon playing the DI track back for reamping, I do get consistent levels in the Reamp channel compared to the original recording when I use the same profile.

- The S/PDIF signal is nice and strong.

I am wondering whether it is not suboptimal to record with such weak signals or whether this is not introducing S/N issues?

Would it be better to run the direct signal from the Kemper into one of the Unison channels together with one of the praised UA preamp plugins (which one would be best?)? Just checking whether I am underusing the Apollo superpowers.

Hello everybody,

as I am currently awaiting the delivery of my Apollo X8 (upgrade from Focusrite 18i8 2nd), I start scratching my head what the best way is to connect it to the Kemper to maximize the efficiency of the workflow and the Audio quality.

I will want to use the Kemper for recording and reamping as opposed to using the UA (that don't interest me) or other digital amps. I still feel that the Kemper has an edge here and it feels a lot more like playing my actual amps (that I have nicely profiled and I know that the Kemper takes my pedals well) .

So, I guess:

- Direct Out (Kemper) -> Line Level Input (Apollo) (say number 5) setting the Kemper to "Git studio", correct? (for the DI signal)

- Line Level out (Apollo) (say no 5) -> Return 1 setting it to "Return Input Reamp" (no Reamp box needed), correct?

Do I have to disconnect this input during the original (not reamped) recording or is it enough to silence that channel in Console?

- Main outs (Kemper) -> Line Level inputs (Say, 6,7) on the Apollo, correct? (for the stereo amp signal)

That would leave all four mic preamps free for vocals, acoustic guitars etc or the two High Z for guitar when I don't use the Kemper. Does that make sense? Do I need to pay attention to any "Unison" goodness or am I missing out on some opportunities? Would it be preferable to stay digital and route everything via SP/DIF (I have zero experience using that).

Then I have to figure out how to set levels correctly and make Console and Logic talk to each other so that all signals flow the way they should, but I am confident that I can figure this out.

Sorry, for the newbie questions but I figure that this stuff quickly gets somewhat complex and it is easy to go astray. This potential workflow has renewed my excitement for the Kemper. It should be possible to monitor and record basically latency free this way since neither the Apollo cores nor the computer DAW have much to do, right?

Happy 2021 everybody!