Posts by Dynochrome

That's what I tried to express with #5. It's better to know a handful of profiles really well than using a lot of different ones. It goes a bit against what we know from real amps that are often more limited to the one thing they do really well. It's important to learn that the Kemper can sound like the real amp but behaves differently in praxis as it offers far more options (but also has limitations that real amps don't have, see #14).

14 "Adding gain to your favorite clean profile rarely turns it into a great crunchy or distorted profile"

I don't know why you would want to, just dial another rig in. Same as if you take most any tube amp's clean channel and crank it, few will make a great saturated distorted amp sound. It isn't what it was there for anyway so I don't expect the Kemper to be different. Need a clean tone? Browser knob. Need a ripping Marshall? Same. Cookie monster metal? Load an ENGL rig or something. But that being said I have used a Kemper drive pedal in front of a clean amp in the Kemper and got a great sound messing around.

Hi!

Unfortunately that's not my experience at all. Sometimes I have a good run with a profiler and like a few profiles in a row and then suddenly the next five profiles sound like complete garbage. Their EQ is so different that I'm not even sure how they can all have sounded good to the person selling them. Maybe my guitars (or ears) are just weird but to me buying sets or collections of profiles has always been a bit of a lottery game.

I spent about $100.00 on profiles to learn I should have just bought one of the packs and used the rest from Rig packs in RM. I was always looking for greener grass. I realized I could easily match the sound of the very best amps I've ever had with 6 or so lightly tweeked profiles and be just as happy as I was with those amps. Using the same cab that works for you helps but is not mandatory. When you spend nearly $4,000 on a freed you don't get a fraction of the sounds that come stock with the Kemper. Those are great amps but the Kemper can match the recorded sound so close the owners can't tell the difference.

Right, it's not really a MUST to use SPDIF, it's more of a MUST to have a good signal chain & monitors. If you notice that much difference between using digital and analog outs, I would guess something is deficient. Especially if headphones sound good but through speakers bad. And unless your cables were really bad, or you're running a real long length I doubt ears could tell them apart either. I have expensive Mogami cables and $4.95 cheepo XLR cables and both "sound" the same. Some people get money in their head and believe because something costs more it sounds better. (I will say something about quality connectors being worth it) Blindfolded most fail at those tests because the differences are so slight perhaps because of impedance, a tiny bit of EQ would shift the sound way more. I'd be careful of the "internet forums" advice outside of this one. There are a lot of people on here that really know their Kemper. There are people from the mfg that take the time to post here more often than I've seen with about any other product of this magnitude.

Recording with SPDIF is a MUST. Investing in an interface with SPDIF input is totally worth it.

For now I'll just chime in to the first thing that triggered me. If I could I'd bet you $100.00 that in a blind test you wouldn't think the Sony Phillips digital interface sounded SO much better that it was a MUST. In fact that $100.00 would be to bet you couldn't tell the difference between that and going from Kemper main out to quality A/D converter. I'd challenge ANY ear. It perhaps may in some way sound slightly different but not necessarily better. Nothing that knowledgeable eqing couldn't match to the point of ridiculous nit picking. Many of the 8th Degree in tone Kemper black belts never use SPDIF but could at will. Why do you think they don't? A: because it really doesn't make that much if any difference if you have the right signal chain.

If you intend to use your expression pedal exclusively as Wah Pedal, never as Volume and never as Pitch Pedal, it is most logical and straight forward to deselect "WahPedal to Volume" and "WahPedal to Pitch". These are global settings. Within the wah effect select Pedal Mode "Bypass @ Toe".

Thank you. It didn't soak in reading that "WahPedal to Volume" and "WahPedal to Pitch" were global. I mistakenly thought that they were both rig dependent for some reason and so that and the off knob setting in rig settings appeared to be somewhat redundant. That makes it easier to understand what to do. So if I wanted to use the volume on just one rig in a performance or performances, I'd have to have Wah> Volume soft button on, and turn volume pedal to off on all others via rig volume selection then.

Exactly my opinion. I've always been into guitar - cable - amplifier, nothing else.

Everything else was and is an exception. But of course everyone likes it differently.

I would only buy amps that serve their purpose and supply all necessary distortion without a pedal. Pedals are noisy and unless you run a drawer switcher, often require you to run long cable lengths. But I like effects, a lot. Basically why I bought a Kemper, because I refuse to compromise. I use flangers, phasers, slap delays, multidelays, harmonizers, and it's all in a 600 watt amp I can carry around easier than a shopping basket.

I personally can't say I've found a profile I like with a baked in OD pedal (except the one I made myself, but I only liked that through my Marshall cab, not great through the kones). I'm also not a fan of using any OD's in the Kemper, nor my modded SD-1 in front of the Kemper. My pedal in front of my JCM800 adds clarity and string definition which I guess isn't typical for an overdrive, every OD in the Kemper seems to compress the sound rather than add dynamics which isn't what I'm after.

Personally I'd suggest if you find a profile you like but you feel it needs more gain, just tweak the gain knob. There'll be a million people here suggesting not to do that, but I believe it gives the best results

I believe it gets the best natural results as long as you don't stray more than a few blips. Add a bit of pre pure boost too. At first I didn't understand the pure boost and thought why would I waste a slot for just a volume jump in a digital chain but lately I have been finding that it can give a bit of drive and leaves the tone alone. The newest update likely helps with that but I never used pure boost before the last beta.

Maybe it's just in my head as I am one that would never stack two overdrive pedals with a tube/ss amp, (If I had to do that I wouldn't own that amp). The profiles with baked in overdrive sound good on their own, like a amp with an overdrive, but when I add drive to them they seem too pushed to me. Previously with my tube amps I never understood why someone that cares so much about having a tube sound would want to start the whole signal chain with solid state clipping. If my amps didn't have enough drive to do anything I wanted squeals, harmonics etc. I would have never bought it. My vote is to have a pedal-less profile and then add a pre drive from the Kemper. It seems to add that sensitivity to your picking instead of just creating the "with pedal" sound.

I am a late to the party Kemper user. I previously spurned it because of it's looks and thought that in a year or two there would be a gen 2 gen 3 etc that I would always be wanting and unsatisfied with my current unit. I thought I would wait until a few versions, then pick up a discounted older model. When it came out, I was thinking about it but bought an ENGL and an EVH instead thinking their value as a tube amp would stay relatively in tact..(My taste has changed & I find myself loving the looks now, like an old steampunk toaster or radio) I didn't like all the busy front panel buttons but now that I see the functionality it's simple and easy to get around on for the most part. I'm pretty sure I'll be selling all my gigging amps and just hanging on to my vintage collection. My tube amps still sound good but I just can't justify keeping them laying around, I'll never profile them, I'll let others do that for me.

I was prompted to write this after recently an interview with the owner/designer and was blown away by his thought process & methods. He indicated that modelers always had someone picking on them saying this or that isn't quite right so to get around that he built a device that if the sound isn't what you want it's on YOU not him. Brilliant. Same thing in a way with the Kones, instead of building cabs that someone would always want another color, size,port etc, he's just doing a speaker so again, you can have it your way. Genius, really.

Such a different and fresh way of thinking, it's really easy to like a company that focused on giving you a tool that can give you what you want instead of being driven by greed.

I have had some minor quibbles about some things about the unit here & there, but after seeing that the company isn't some huge greedy stock conglomeration, I forgive them for any shortcomings (like tap tempo & flashing lights etc.) and am grateful for this amazing tool that Kemper obviously made not just to make money but to serve the individual buyer. Instead of coming up with V1, V2 V3 hardware etc. devaluing older units (like Line 6,Fractal etc. etc. etc) He built KPA to stay current with software upgrades that have been successful and beneficial to Kemper because they don't have to do re figuration /design /testing/production of new hardware and can give users something new with constant updates and upgrades. Again, brilliant. After seeing that I love my KPA even more. Morally, Kemper changed the way to do business that benefits users and manufacturer not constantly coming out with "new and improved" models that you have to get to keep up with the Joneses. Smartest thing really is if it sounds bad, it's not the designer's fault, it's the user. I have seen many videos with tube snobs that had their favorite amp profiled and picked the Kemper over it in a blind test claiming it sounded better. Many many people with some great ears were "fooled" so you can't comment negatively on the quality of sound. The capability is there, it's up to you now. Sounds like "crap"? You're doing something wrong.

Although I had doubts if I was doing the right thing buying a "old" unit like this (Figuring as soon as I do V2 will come out as usually happens to me) I just treat it like an old Plexi. They sound great (sometimes) and no one complains about them being passé or wonder if they are still relevant in 2021. Good sound will always remain good sound and If the KPA can be so close to a Plexi that the owner of the amp can't tell the difference, The Kemper theoretically should be relevant forever. Fantastic.

I have a English V30 and Greenback speakers and did not like either of them with my powered Kemper. (too colored) I took a hint from M britt and use a CL80 and love the cab sound. it's the farthest thing from spikey/Di like. But even with the V30 or GB it was never horrible. I have this feeling something else in the setup is the problem because my problem with cabs were always that it sounded darker than direct, the exact opposite of your issue.

Mine does indeed have the tiger stripe and it was from Nashville. It's perfect.

I've played many 335s from 60,s to today, and the late 90s are so under the radar. No one seems to notice how above and beyond they are beauty and construction wise. A real loophole in the market if you can find one. Most people can whip out their vintage 335s or custom shops in front of you but when you whip that baby out, it usually beats up everybody's. Only some of the real expensive special made ones come close to the figuring and then sometimes not the tone of the '99s I've seen. in 2000 they moved the production to Memphis and left the custom shop in Nashville. I always guessed in 99 they were showing off what they could do before the split. I imagine a short time before that may have produced similar guitars but I haven't sen many 98s or 97s.

SO there are only 60 reverb presets on all of Rig exchange? and 6 Flange presets??? I figured there would be a hundred: "Barracuda", EVH ,Queen etc.

I have a ES335 from 1999 and I love it. I play marshal profiles from MBritt and they sound amazing.

I also have a 1999 335. (and the Britt profiles)Many of those in that last Nashville era (for regular production) came with an unusual beautiful tiger stripe flame finish. Did yours? I consider that period to be of the most beautiful 335s ever as well as reasonable.. I played 3 different ones , two (newer) Memphis and one 1999 Nashville before buying. The Memphis models were brighter and thinner and mine was noticeably darker,thicker and toneful. And not the electronics, you could hear it in the body.

IMO you have to turn the amp up a bit to drown out the acoustic sound otherwise it can sound "out of tune" for some weird reason that I have found on 335 types. I have 57 classic plus in the bridge and 57 classic in neck and it is amazing with the Kemper and will sing with beautiful harmonic controllable feedback. From what I have seen the Kemper is more forgiving to poor guitar & pickup choices than tube amps are. Pretty much anything that will stay in tune can be made to sound good. When I'm playing it, I can feel the difference but recorded sound isn't super notably different with a semi hollow body as it is with a full hollow. My 335 vs Les paul custom is different but it isn't obvious which one is semi hollow in a blind test. However the 335 will feedback easier in a very cool way. I was once on stage with my 335 playing very loud lead through an ENGL powerball II. I held a sustain feedback note and I could feel the front and the back of the guitar vibrate so much it felt like 1/4 inch a side! I actually thought it was going to break the guitar apart, so I quickly aborted the feedback, that was shocking! I'm convinced if I would have held that note, it would have cracked the guitar!

In summary yes a 335 will sound great, (turned up a bit) but so will about any guitar with the Kemper. Most likely the unique way it processes signal.

I have read through the setup and watched the video. I see two ways of potentially getting what I want and wanted to know if there was a preference or a difference.

I want to set up so that if a wah FX slot is on, it bypasses in toe position and when the FX slot is turned off, there is no volume pedal function.

To achieve this I understand I could either turn the volume pedal to off in rig settings, or deselect Wah>volume correct?

Is one way better than the other or is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?

I also noted in the video @ 10:30 he says pedal in #6 is initially configured for a wah pedal, but I read pedal #6 is initially configured for pitch on page 129 of the manual. Just a quibble to show I'm paying attention!

I have a mild problem with the blinking lights and the tempo but given the alternative as perfect looking and not that great sound, I can easily overlook the small things because the sound is there. In the past, if I had an amp that looked like a Christmas tree but sounded as good as the Kemper does I wouldn't have cared. If I have to trade off I'll take sound over looks because the most important thing about a Kemper is how it pleases your ears and eyes comes after that. Sometimes you just can't have everything and if I have to compromise it would be looks way over sound. With the correct settings, there is no compromise in sound. Sure I'd like the lights fixed too but I forget about it quick when I start playing it and people go "wow".

Thanks for your patience. I wanted to search rig exchange for some reverb & flanger presets to try. I've read the manual on rig exchange but that doesn't mean I memorized every word. In many ways it could have been explained better there IMO. I taught myself how to operate Autocad reading about 30" thick of manuals, so normally my reading compression is pretty good it just has to be explained in a way I can understand it. The way it was explained that under tips and tricks with "tags" didn't stick with me.