Posts by andyrukus

I am using Linux professionally for 20 years now. 20 years on the server and for five years now on my main laptop that I use for work and most day to day stuff. So I would say I know a bit about the differences/advantages of Linux compared to Windows and MacOs. And also about the disadvantages.

My stance on Linux on the desktop: I don't think that it will ever become mainstream. A more user-friendly distro could be created, but I can't see it happening, there is just not that much of an incentive for a manufacturer.

For all music related stuff I use a Mac. And this most likely will not change. My DAW does not run under Linux. There are no Linux drivers for my audio interface. There is no rig manager for Linux and the list goes on. So much is missing. And I completly understand that there is no manufacturer too keen to support Linux. What would RigManager do good to me on Linux, when I cannot run my audio interface and my DAW simultanously?

The next point is, that there is no one "Linux". You have distributions. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Suse, Arch and so forth. It is all highly fragmented. For a manufacturer a maintenance nightmare. What should Kemper do. It's difficult to support multiple Windows and Mac versions, but with Linux distributiuons, it get's tenfold complicated. And we only have talked about Linux distributions so far, we haven't not yet mentioned window managers at all.

So, as much as I would like to have a RigManager on Linux and as much as I would like to do all my audio related stuff under Linux - I am not counting on it in the slightest way.