Posts by MikeDV1

Battle Beast from Finland. Looks like they use some "other" modeler unit, but some nice guitar work, and the girl can sing. Obviously in the studio, they have the costume thing going on live. Become a big fan, no shortage of heavy guitars on all of their recordings.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Didn't even mean to imply shaping anything is wrong with doing that, but for me, I'd never shape two alike. I'd make a perfect one and promptly lose it and never be able to duplicate. The use of a thumb pick at all is the revelation.

Lots of years using a really thin pick. Two years ago, went to a medium - who knows why.

Recently tried to learn finger style, so began using a thumb pick.

Then...watched a Glenn DeLaune video doing some Kemper demo, and noticed he was using a thumb pick to play some pretty cool rock music. Thought I'd give it a try.

Had a few odd ones laying around, and kinda' liked it, but the shape was weird. Some folks say they shape them, heat them, etc. I saw Black Mountain picks online. Thumb pick shaped like a regular pick, with a little contraption on it to hold it to your thumb. Expensive - but, arrived, and getting pretty good with it, still adjusting but it's looking pretty promising. When I want, I can hold it like a regular pick, and it feels just the same. With the ability to use it as a thumb pick, now there's some Mark Knopfler stuff popping out - so far, as unusual as it seems, I may make the transition. The thing that makes it happen is the ability to still hold it at the angle/grip as the flat pick. Old dog, new tricks - who knew?

I go back and forth with cabs, but made a weird discovery today. I use the monitor out to a Mission Gemini 2. All this occurred using Rig Manager.

I will audition/use rigs with and without cabinets. Sometimes I just check the "Monitor Cab Off", sometimes I won't check that and turn off or change the cab manually in individual rigs.

Today, I had the "Monitor Cab Off" button lit. Usually, when a profile comes up with a cab, manually turning it on/off makes no change in the sound - expected - sounds like no cab.

One came up with a cab, I chose the cab, turned the Low Cut control, and cut the bass out. Surprised, I would have guessed those controls wouldn't work with cabs disabled in the monitor out section.

I then did the High Cut, and same thing, cut the treble.

Next, I cut the bass completely with the Low Cut control; then I disabled the cab in the profile - and the Low Cut stayed in place, even with "Monitor Cab Off" checked and the Cab disabled in the rig.

This seems like a weird combination of things, but I actually like it for my use. With my speaker/monitor cab, I usually gravitate towards not using cabs or IRs in rigs, but I do like using the Low/High cut to tweak, so I typically put an EQ in one of the slots, mainly just for that.

While this is really good for my use, is this a bug? If so, finding a place that's NOT universal for High/Low Cut without taking up a slot is a good thing for me.

Kind of confusing, I hope I explained it clearly.

Personally, outside of needing different fx for different things, I would never use more than 4 effects combined after the amp, in addition to 4 before - but that's the way I roll. If I didn't, there are bunches of multi-fx only units you could put into a loop after the stack - I tried the Plethora X5 in that loop, and had another five - of which I didn't need as stated above - and they sounded awesome. Imagine there are other users who love specific units by other manufacturers that do something specific, or something they like.