Posts by faraway

Maybe your advice can save some unnecessary guitar shipping. ..

I’ve been considering to buy an electric with additional piezzo bridge. Now I have an offer to buy a Cort M-Custom, for about 600 Euro. It is unused but stayed a couple of years in a shop. I have another Cort guitar and I like it, but before ordering the new one I’d like to ask if maybe someone has some experience with the M-Custom.

Thanks in advance.

;)

I‘m using an AKG D5. I bought it because I liked it better than the others I tested — but it‘s also quite cheap. I paid 70 Euros I guess... I have no reason to doubt it‘s sturdiness...

I just got a Cort M Limited, M-LTD 16 AB. Thomann sells them currently for 299 Euros. A couple of years ago I had a cheap Cort Bass and I was very impressed on the wood quality it offered. That experience was the kick to pull the trigger...

It has a massive 0.8" maple cover over a - 3piece - mahagony body. The maple has a very decent but deep pattern, I love it! The neck seems to be one piece of mahogony, I was not able to detect any different. The rosewood fretboard is high quality also. The neck pattern is similar to the pattern regular of my PRS and the frets are finished perfectly.

Over the years I have owned and played a couple of PRS SE as backup for my PRS Custom 24. All SE where amazing guitars but in my opinion this CORT is closer to the US PRS than any other guitar I own or have owned. I was planning to switch pickups but damn - these Cort Humbuckers are really good hot PAF. The split works with the outer coils and gives nice Twangy Sounds. I guess I will add a Freeway switch to also use the inner coils for a more strat like "position 4" sound.

Probably the variance in quality of cort guitars is much higher than for established brands but I made a real steal with this guitar.

I use one performance with 5 rigs from clean with increasing gain. The two cleanish rigs are D/13 and the three crunchy to overdrive are Marshalls, I guess both from M.Britt free pack. They all have the bread and butter effects.These are the sounds for 80% of the songs, I play with two different guitars (my beloved 91 Blade RH4 and a Diamond Imperial). If I need something special, I simply search Rig Exchange for close Rigs and tweak it to my needs. I never spend much time searching and tweaking for the right tone from a rig, I´m still a strong believer that fingers - and - in particular for covers - the audience's expectations make the tone experience. In general, after two iterations on rehearsal or gig, I´m done with tweaking.

Seems that someone just worked on my vision

Quote from faraway

Nov 29th 2017+1
    i had a JTV 59 from 2014 - ... I used the acoustic models during rehearsals, I rated them inappropiate for shows. I think modelling guitar sounds needs another evolution that most probably must be to get rid of the piezzo pickup and use the impulse response technology. ...

Seems that an italian start up is going to launch my product of dreams... ;)
    http://www.musicradar.com/news…tar-with-sim1s-xt-1-pedal

I´m really curious...

i had a JTV 59 from 2014 - sorry to say- Palm mutig was fine. I used the acoustic models during rehearsals, I rated them inappropiate for shows. I think modelling guitar sounds needs another evolution that most probably must be to get rid of the piezzo pickup and use the impulse response technology. I sold, because I had no need for alternate tunings, they were working fine. They guy who bought my model told me that he has another JTV 59, 500 g heavier and with palm muting problems - seems that quality varies a lot...

I had also an unpleassant start when switching to in ear. I tried following the hint of a band mate, he said "it sounds different because you really hear how it sounds"...;-)

It was shortly after the morphing feature was introduced, so I reworked my Rigs to sound good via IEM. Also I moved to morphing as my "lead sound generator".

I use 15 Rigs in performance mode for all my bands and it took me about 3 hours to set up copies to the new method, none of the rigs has a lead boost more that 3db.
    I had no complains on rehearsals and after the first gig the Mixer Guy said that my sound improved and that he almost had no job to level my guitar signal during the gig - so I heard how it sounds...

Long story short; I also recommed to work on more than just level. Morphing does the trick to add little more effects, change EQ and to increase volume a little bit and to switch with a press of one button (I should mention that I use the Kemper Remote...). IMHO thats better than trying to catch a signal via compressor or limiter.