Posts by Froschn

Sometimes it's just too low volume. When we don't hear enough highs with a real amp, we crank it further up until we can hear what the amp want's to tell. With modelers that are capable of delivering plenty of highs, we turn highs and presence up, but that keeps us away from cranking the volume. I believe that the highs that we need for recordings are too much for a cranked up livesound. Think about it. I'd lower the presence and the highs on your place to get more punch. My 2c.

OK.

Same happend on mine. When I save two patches with different tempo, it will not change the tempo on preset change. And I tought that it should work that way first, because many multieffects do the same.....but then I wondered why the heck do we have a tempolock function then?

But I got it working now, tempo changes on presetchange. I did hold the lock button and then same time pressed tempo (to lock it) and pressed tempo again (to unlock it). Seemed to be locked somehow without showing it. Maybe you can do the same by checking the lock button in the rig menu twice, didn't try it yet.

The tc products, the fractal audio's, the boss gt's, they all allow global tempo. When you play a song live, that song has one tempo and when you change sounds, clean, distorted, solo, you want to keep the tempo the same for the whole song. You don't need to tap it in once again every time you change to another preset.

Ok, then turn off tempo enable in the rig menu and go back into the tremblock and set rate to your liking (without tapping it in because that would enable tempo again) and save the preset. That how I understand that. Tempo is an overall tempo for the whole kpa and survives even presetchanges, and therefore is not to be stored within a rig. Someone to confirm that?

PS: I understand 'Hockensmith' is a German name, which means 'the maker of garden tools' (I like that). 'Hadley' is English, and it literally means 'from the Heath Forest' - maybe that's why I smell so good? 8o

Hocken is a german word, something like crouching, sitting down. Smith is just the usual english name, nothing german, in german Smith is Schmidt. So your name is Crouchingsmith or Hockenschmidt....what you gonna take? :D

Same problem for me. Mainly play live, need highs, need dynamics, need fresh modern highs, muffled sounds are not for me.

The settings of the profiled amps always vary depending on the taste of the player, the guitar, the playing style, the room, the way how he listened to the amp, the mic, the sound of his cat... :) Nothing wrong when you need to tweak a bit. I guess sounds thought for recordings have less highs and presence as the ones for live-use. :rolleyes: I'm too slow.

As long as we don't know what exactly the refining does, it's hard to tell, when it's really needed and when it's better skipped. I got the impression that unrefined sounds are more raspy, crunchy, rough and unpolished, but I could be wrong with that. Someone here who has the same impression?

I have over 1.150 rigs in my kpa now. It can take that, obvisiously, but it's not comfortable anymore for me.

Harder to get rid of rigs then to find new ones, somehow. Plenty of rigs that I like and I can't tell wich are the best ones. Even the bad ones can sound awesome with the right cab or the right tweak.

Is it allowed to whine about having too much? ?(

When you want to use the heads preamp, side-by-side with the internal preamps, only then the 4cm is needed.
    You then have to place the KPA's fx-loop at one of the four slots before the ampblock:

Guitar -> KPA-Input -> (Loop: KPA-send -> amp-input...amps preamp....amp's send -> KPA's return) -> KPA's monitorout -> amp'S return.

You then need to (turn of the KPAs ampblock and switch the loop to on) to use the amp's preamp or (let the loop turned off and the KPAs ampblock turned on) to use the KPAs preamp.

The internal cabsim of the kpa can be turned off for the monitor output. Cab is still turned on then for the master outs, so you can send a cabless signal to your amp and same time a di signal to the mixingconsole.

When you don't need the real amp's preamp and take preampsounds from the KPA only, then you don't need the loop-part form above.

Guitar -> KPA-Input -> (Loop: ) -> KPA's monitorout -> amp's return.

Thanks - I will try that. Have you not had similar luck using the KPA's overdrives into a clean amp rig?

The soundquality of the internal overdrives is quite good. There could be some more controls I think, but the sound is ok. But when you use the internals it would not help your request for a more realistic feeling, because then you are using the same input as always. When you use an external stomp the feeling changes a bit and gets (to my ears and fingers) more real, maybe because that part of the soundchain is just real gear and not digital. I was surprised a bit how good the kpa took the stomps and the sound and feeling was very real to me.
    The only thing that is not working like in reality is a very loud boost, because you can run into clipping then, something that a tubeamp would not do. OK, that's maybe the point where it would be too much for a real amp anyway, at a certain point, you only get crap without dynamic with a real amp.

YMMV, as ever.