Posts by XpennoKPA

Nice, thanks guys, I should get chance to hook everything up on Sunday and have a play, looking forward to it. I have profiled some AxeFX II amps without cab sims in the hope that they will sound good with this type of setup. The monitor out will also be a cool feature by the sound of it :)

Spence

I love the AxeFX forum, for me it's a wealth of knowledge about a great product. Like most forums, however, there are people with very strong opinions about the product and even more so about other competing products. This means that things get out of hand pretty quickly and that's usually where the censorship comes in, it's not usually the posts themselves but the response from users flexing their internet muscles. Some of the things said both amuse and disappoint me at the same time. I hope that this forum can stay on track and constructive to make the KPA the best it can be :)

Spence

Hi Tony,

I first heard of you a few years ago now when I first purchased an Engl amp, you had a great review that I had read and it made me want to go out and buy the amp, it was a great amp which served me well :) Anyway it's great to have you here on the forum and maybe you will even consider sharing some profiles of some of the gear you own or even the ones from the video review that you made of the Kemper. Either way great to hear from you!

Spence

You can get a ton of low end energy in the KPA depending on the mic's you use when you make a profile and of course the amp settings. However, for guitar you don't want a ton of low end energy....it would never sit in the mix if you did !

Ok so maybe I didn't phrase this properly, it's not about the energy it's about how tight the low end is. I know you can get lots of low end (or not) from the Kemper as you desire this is about the clarity of the low end.

Either way I really enjoy the tone I am getting from the KPA and always look forward to playing on it :)

Spence

How you getting on with this spence?
    Another suggestion is to use one of the direct profiles (which have no cab sim at all) then lock the 'empty' cab sim and play around with your profiles from there.
    Mr Kemper said that a 'part' of the tone from the profiled cab is kept in the monitor outs even when the cabs are globally switched off to give the effect of changing cabs through your guitar cab.
    If you can't find one, both my afd100 and evh5150 profiles have 1 'no cab' profile in them.
    Thinking about it, it would be nice to have this feature available in the monitor section (i.e. switch the cabs off COMPLETELY)

The honest answer is that I've not tried again. I have a gig this weekend which I will use my current rig for then I'll be setting the KPA up with my controller and testing it in anger. I came up with the idea of profiling AxeFX II Amps with no Cab and letting the matrix/Cab do the rest, still need to give this a go. I'll let you know how I get on.

Spence

The creator of the AxeFX certainly thinks that they are using IRs in the KPA, obviously I have no idea either way, all I know is that when the AxeFX increased the IR length things sounded more realistic in the low-end.

for reference...

Fractal Link

Spence

Many users over at the AxeFX forum use the motto of "using your ears" and I agree with this. I think it's crazy to dismiss a product based on its specs alone. I agree that the Kemper is a great sounding unit. If it does use 256 point IRs then there is potential to make it even better :)

Spence

I thought (incorrectly presumed) it used an impulse as part of the profile to recreate the cab. If not then I guess this request is null and void, if it does then it would be cool. Either way it sounds great :)

Spence

Ok, so I didn't know the current specs of the IRs in the KPA but I'm guessing that they are pretty low resolution compared to the AxeFX II (512 point or less). The reason I say this is down to the energy, especially in the low-end, of the tones in the KPA.

Don't get me wrong, it does sound great as is but I think that there could be a real potential to improve the energy of the profiles by increasing the IR resolution.

Just a thought but it could be a serious improvement to what is already an awesome product.

Cheers

Spence

Hi guys sorry for the delay in getting this up here, we had some bad family news and our Drummer quit over the weekend, sucks all round :(

This isn't the exact rig I used on the clip as I didn't save it however I've re-tweaked and it's pretty damn close, hope it's ok for you guys. I lowered the mix of both verb and delay from the clip I did, crank them back if you like it wet!

Plexi Rig

Props to Tylerbg for his awesome cab which was used here (and on most of my rigs)!

Spence

Spence, this must be hard times for you. Everyday you have to decide for playing KPA or Axe II :D

Less these days, I'm really digging the KPA for plug and play, I've got a rehearsal on Sunday and a gig next week. I've not got the time to get the KPA to where I need it but after the gig I'll be looking to switch to it. I might take it along to rehearsal and see what it sounds like next to the Axe.

Spence