Posts by stringlord

i am pasting KPA support's reply, please refer to #3:

#1 we had some problems with status bars not appearing, these should be fixed with new firmware.
    #2 this is a known software bug, which we are still chasing, please stay tuned
    you can trigger the welcome procedure by initializing global settings
    (push and hold the SYSTEM button while you switch the Kemper on until a
    message appears 'Initializing ....'.

no danger of losing anything, presets, rigs, settings, cab, etc.

Just hoping there will be profiles based or tagged with the name of songs they are trying to match. I may have the amp profile and effects in my KPA but I'm sure some users here have better ears and experience than me in dialing some preset(s) used on a song. This should be handy when performance mode is released though this will be irrelevant if KPA will have a "tone matching" feature. Very helpful if you do a lot of covers, I don't know it might be a silly idea.

Mine too didn't ask for a date and name input ... I ordered mine from sweetwater. I inquired about it through KPA support, they seem to have avoided (or maybe misinterpreted) the question and instead gave me instructions on how to re-initialize the global settings.

Unit works fine though except for these known bugs that are becoming more annoying lately. Also, it may just be me (my ears) or the other equipment connected to the KPA that sometimes (at least 2-3 nights) it sounds so digital (more like a pod or the first time I got my AFX), sounding thin and fizzy. My Eleven Rack doesn't sound as good but at least it's consistent. I'm tweaking a lot of settings and trying out different gear though so it's most likely not the KPA's fault. Oops, branching out of the topic already.

Thanks for the recommendations on mics, I am reading more about
    DI boxes and it promises to have its own advantages aside from the savings of
    not owning more mics and cabs. It’s a great opportunity to start profiling
    without the added cost and complexity of micing. Of course ideal is to try both
    and then decide later after hearing them installed to the KPA. I remember
    reading about a DAR DI box where you can load IRs (impulse responses) to
    customize your simulated speaker cab further. I still have my purchased IRs back
    when I owned an AFX Ultra, maybe I can use them.

Thinking about it, it would have been nice if KPA supported
    this (direct input bypassing the cabs/micing) together with IRs – then it would
    have been a more complete profiling amp. Maybe there will be a module that can be
    placed inside the empty compartment at the back of the KPA aside from the power
    amp being planned?

When I bought the KPA, I never thought about doing profiles myself - I've sold all my real amps (not the high ends) to fund an AFX II though I ended up with a KPA. Now I know I'm not going to return the KPA (unless KPA team can't fix bugs/issues - unlikely) and is SERIOUSLY considering doing profiles myself (they will be shared). It seems a lot of fun and in line with my other hobbies. And maybe in the future I can really contribute to the RIG exchange.

#1. MIC: The only mic I own is a SM58, I am thinking about getting an SM57 but I'd like to know other microphones that are out there that are not too pricey (plus if good for other uses like vocals/drums), maybe 300USD max. I have access to a mixer (for supplying power) so dynamic mics shouldn't be a problem.

#2. CAB: I have a small home studio (10ft x 10ft), it's not treated so I don't know why I call it a studio but it's where I store all my music equipment lol. I have two 1x12 cabs (with crappy speakers) that can be open or closed back, I'm thinking about getting an isolation cab (thinking about the JetCity isolation cab for its price) so I don't have to treat the room (but do you need to?) and keep the neighbors from getting mad.

#3. SPEAKERS: I'll start with my crappy Eminence/JetCity speakers that came with my cabs until I get better with my profiling/micing techniques but should collect several speakers like the GH12, V30, etc. down the road.

#4. OTHERS: These are other gear that I should or nice to have. I also sold my attenuator with my amps, I'm not sure if DI boxes (like the Rivera or Palmer) are good or cost effective (you wont need cabs and mics?) solutions too. I haven't given much thought about this since they sound like they lack that airy or ambience thing (I don't know what you call it) but there may be a technique to get around this.

I'll most likely profile amps that are good for hard rock/blues and metal. Some of you might be familiar but this top modeler have like a Wiki space about recommended gear/accessories, I'm not sure if the KPA has something similar.

Many thanks in advance for all the inputs, apologies for the long post. I know some or most of these questions have been posted here already but I still felt posting my exact questions.

In closing this thread, I'm on my third USB drive now I think there is no status bar at all (If there is I haven't seen it) but I got a response from KPA support that it will be fixed in a firmware update. What I do is I make sure the button is pressed by holding a little bit longer than usual. If it works there should be a response telling you to unplug and re-plug your USB drive. But during my 2nd USB drive this message didn't appear but some folders were created when I connected it to my PC and I managed to update the firmware and import/export/backup my rigs/KPA. Hope this helps. Also, it usually take seconds to format an 8GB drive (it's like a quick format).

Thanks to all those that replied and offered help.

I just got my KPA hours ago, it's smaller than i thought (which is good). I'm starting to like the lunchbox form factor but I don't like the leather handle (it feels unsafe). Browsed a few amp presets, some were impressive but some were ... meant to be deleted (sorry) but overall the unit is promising and has the potential to be a keeper. It's the best sounding modeler/profiler out of the box by far (that includes all of line6, 11R and the leading modeler (except their version II)).

The reason why I'm posting is that I'm having problems with the USB (especially formatting). I've used two 8GB (Kingston and OCZ) fairly new USB drives but it seems to just freeze during formatting. There seems to be no status bar after you press yes (so I don't know if it is already formatting the drive - it seems so since the USB drives lights up indicating activity). It will be like this for a couple of minutes to an hour you can't even exit, I tried powering off (using the chicken feet knob) then after a few seconds it powers off after a loud thud. Then when inserting the USB to my PC, it doesn't seem useable and reformatting it on the PC shows only half of the density (4GB of 8GB) recovered. I tried another USB drive but it I'm getting the same results.

The manual doesn't say much about the entire procedure except it was mentioned that the KPA will format your USB drive during first use. Can anyone describe how the KPA formats your USB drives, at least what is displayed on the screen or the entire procedure? Thanks!

UPDATE: Works now! I just kept pressing the "yes" button until it brought me back to the main window (still no statusbar) but when I connected the USB drive to my PC, 3 folders were created so I assumed it was successful formatting it. I was able to update the firmware to the latest stable release and downloaded the first EVH rig i saw (i think EVH Lead2 by sheguitarplayer) and it's a killer. It's like the Fedex guys delivered an EVH 5153 today, I'm extremely happy. I'd like to thank sheguitarplayer but I'll most likely download every rig and play them so thanks to everybody ... and the KPA team too, it looks like this is it and of course to my wife who paid for the unit haha. Later friends, I need to check the other amps Fedex delivered today (through the KPA lol).

Thanks for the replies, I know the difference between the KPA and AFX (not the II), I owned 2 Ultras before. I was just concerned that since the KPA is more like an amp tone grabber (for lack of a better description) that without these high end amps (I won't be able to profile my own settings) I'll be forced to use settings from different users. While the AFX is a simulator where I have the luxury of dialing my own presets, the only problem is I wasn't happy (at least with the Ultras) and settled for sub-$1K real amps and the 11R (much cheaper).

I have already ordered a KPA though (should be here early next week) since I've learned for every amp snapshot you are still given some basic buttons/parameters to tweak to at least fine tune this to your needs. Now my only worry is the bugs being reported, I know it's a new equipment but reports are saying that fixes are released somewhat slow, I hope this is inaccurate.

Looking forward to buy/try the KPA once it's back in stock in the US. I owned 2 AFX Ultras before but let them go and settled for the cheaper 11Rack which I still use. The ultras sounded better than the 11Rack but they still sounded far from the real thing to me to justify the cost, that's why I kept the 11Rack and waited for a better solution (I pray that day is now).

I looked at the AFX II but the KPA got my interest and I need to make a choice between the two. My problem with the KPA is that I don't have access to high-end amps. I am aware they come loaded with profiles and a user database exist, my questions are actually related to these. I can't find clear answers since the KPA seems to be marketed more as a tool/profiler instead of a complete/standalone modeler.

#1. How often do we get new profiles from the KPA team themselves?

#2. How's the quality/accuracy of user submitted profiles, are there high-profile users participating/submitting profiles as well?

#3. I won't be able to contribute much if not at all with the profile database given no access to high-end tube amps, will I get a penalty for this? I can at least make a donation I guess to submitted profiles that I really like.

#4. Does anybody have information as to when the KPAs will be in stock in the US?

Thanks, I really like to test the KPA first before the AFX II (hopefully not anymore).