Posts by kojak_

this give me an idea...

i should sell a collection of 2700 funny kitten pics on ebay for 30$.

the pictures are free and you could easily find them all using google image search. but you know, it took me like 30 minutes to download them all and to create this ebay ad so i find it appropriate.

thanks for the replies.

i'll make some clips of the VH4 vs profile to demonstrate the compressed 'signature' diezel response i'm referring to.

the resulting profiles sound great indeed. but quite remote to the real counterpart. i would never guess it's a VH4 by playing the profile alone. still a lot closer than the axefx2 VH4 model i recently played (FW 9) :D

hey there,

i just wanted to share my experience and observations of profiling a few different higain amps. since i've been profiling through my isocab and using studio headphones for almost a year know, i've got quite used to hearing the kemper as well different amps.

in general, it seems that the soldano family of circuits is what can be profiled most accurately by the kemper. i used to own a 92 hotrod 50, and now still have my SLO100 clone and a dual rectifier (it's 90% SLO after all). the distortion 'character' of these amps seems to be profiled quite accurately by the kemper when not using too much gain. all in all, there always seems to be a slight loss in bass/low-mids in the kemper as well as some 'air' that gets lost. both things can be adjusted afterwards and would become negligible in a mix, anyway. which is why the kemper works so well after all.

now with the two Diezels i have at home (VH4 and Herbert), the kemper simply fails to nail the trademark diezel midrange compression. the overall frequency spectrum is captured accurately, it's just more of a 'feel' thing. i know people will shout 'clips!', but this simply doesn't not reflect how an amp react to your playing (compression, sag, etc).

bottom line is that seeing that i believe the kemper was developed using a recto/SLO type amp for matching higain distortion. in my opinion the unit works as well as advertised with these amps, but unfortunately fails with some other specific amps. knowing a fair bit about amp building, i can imagine that both scenarios (SLO and Diezel) can't be matched with the same algorithm. the SLO has four stages of cascading gain with a cold-clipper, whereas the diezel uses three stages driven VERY hard.

i'm going out on a limb here, but i'm assuming that the profiling algorithm is not accounting for the behaviour of the individual gain stages in the amp, but rather the net sum. this would also explaing why profiling an amp with a boost in fronst doesn't work so well...

i wonder if other users have similar experiences to mine.

:2cents:

hi,

i just uploaded a profile of my Dual Rectifier using the Red channel in modern mode to the rig exchange.

i was aiming for a heavy, thick tone with strong mids and controllable gain. there's a 'green scream' stomp in front of the stack to tame the low-end a bit.

cheers
    christian

Off course: press Master go to page 1 and turn the spdif knob to Git/Stack or Git/mod dependng on where you want to pick the processed signal. You'll have to add stereo FXs, delay and reverb from DAW

wow, this is great. thanks!

i'll try this out later today and see if it fixes my issues :)

Direct out to instrument in is correct, but why you don't just use the spdif? It would save you a conversion and you would skip the colouring of the Interface preamp (the culprit, IMO)

i'd actually much rather use the SPDIF out for recording the DI track. I use the SPDIF out to record normally since it sounds better than with the additional AD/DA conversion step.

the reason i'm using the 'direct out' on the kemper is because i want to be able to use the kemper for monitoring as well.

is it possible to record a DI track through the SPDIF out on the kemper while simultaneously playing through a profile for monitoring?

thanks!

i made some progress, i think.

instead of using the line-in inputs on my Maudio profire 610 interface, i conected the direct-out from the kemper to the normal mic/instrument inputs with adjustable gain. the sound is now closer to recording directly through SPDIF.

i guess that the preamps/converters on my interface are adding some coloration to the recorded tone. maybe it's time for investing in a more transparent interface...

like the title says, i'm having difficulties setting up the kemper with my m-audio profire 610 interface for reamping.

the DI signal is reamped through the kemper and the gain seems unaltered. the reamped track sounds weird.the low end sounds different and has some clipping. the reamped signal also lacks highs/treble in comparison to the SDPIF out signal recorded without reamping...

here's my recording chain:

guitar -> kemper front input

kemper direct out -> line-in of interface (profire)

SPDIF in/out connected between kemper and interface

reamping procedure:

1. i record the DI guitar using the kemper's direct-out, which goes into 'input 3' of my interface (line-in)

2. set up the kemper's input for SPDIF

3. set another track for the reamped signal coming from the 'SPDIF out' of the kemper ('input 5' on my interface)

4. record a new track from 'input 5' (reamped) while simulatenously playing the DI track from 'input 3'

i'll gladly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction since i obviously must be doing something wrong here :)

cheers!
    christian

Yeah, but there is a connection/plug in the mounting hole?
    At least there should be an option to retrofit it by yourself.

this. please!

it should really be an option to install the poweramp by yourself if you're confident enough with electronics.
    the idea isn't be to save money, but to avoid the turnaround time of shipping in the unit.