Posts by Orren

This thread comes at the perfect time! I'm just myself trying to get the Phaser Vibe to sound like an old UniVibe and playing with parameters, etc. Thanks for posting yours Don—I look forward to trying them out!

(BTW, I agree that "out of the box" it doesn't sound all that authentic, but I do think it sounds *good* and with tweaking, I am confident we can get there. It's just a matter of knowing which parameters on which effects are the "magic parameters" to get that glorious Hendrix tone :) ).

Orren

Techn0god and others:

I too connect my KPA via SPDIF when recording. It really is completely transparent. What you hear is what the KPA is putting out. For recording, you can't get a more exact tone on disc!

But when you're listening through a better P.A. system, or a different set of active monitors, you're always going to get some amount of coloration from the sound system. Especially if one system is significantly better than another. Imagine playing a Bogner or other boutique amp head through a boutique 4x12 cabinet loaded with Celestion speakers, and then playing the same head through a 4x12" cabinet loaded with Eminence speakers. The amp will sound different—maybe you'll even hate it. But it's not that the amp sucks. In fact, it's not even that the Eminence speakers sucks—maybe that cabinet was sonically matched to a different amp head, and it sounds fantastic with that specific head.

But I can definitely vouch that the SPDIF signal you hear is the unadulterated sound being produced by the KPA; the rest is the playback system.

Orren