Posts by zentman

Don't leave out and44, audioholic, and Dada, :) In the first five pages there are 27 Kemper threads and 28 Axe threads. Scott doesn't shut down Kemper threads he shuts down threads where people start arguing and slinging mud.
    I personally think the Kemper is an exceptional product and have done nothing but post praises about it since I first heard about it May 2011. I want one but a rack would really work for me.
    I post about the Axe because I have one. If I had a Pod HD or a Kemper I would probably post about those too.
    I really didn't think posting the aliasing test thing was a good idea at all. I don't hear anything but great clips from the Kemper. If it has some weird aliasing thing I don't think anybody cares because it just sounds so damn good.
    Heck I even made a thread comparing my clip with Valtiel's Dr Z and stating his had a magic I couldn't get.

They should call the Digital/Modeling section on TGP the Peterson/Zentman section.

I can vouch for Zent and have enjoyed his clips on TGP for a while now. Although maybe the clip he posted wasn't a Stradivarius, it did show a number of things. One being the versatility of the tone matching process and, irrespective of how you feel about the quality of the original clip, the matching tone was similar. How similar it needs to be for your approval is up to you. anyway, Zent is a music nerd like all of us here with no axe to grind so glad you're on this board and hope you keep pushing the envelope.

I need to clarify that post of mine. The original is the Axe synth. The EQ'd version is just the EQ from a viola applied. I actually never posted the original viola because there was no point. I just thought it was kinda neat that it helped me make my viola tone a bit better IMHO. It's a pretty neat tone that works well live and the folks seem to like it. Not a Stradivarius as you stated. :)
    The IR used is a cello body and the EQ helped bring out some of the character I had buried with my tinkerings. ;)

Lol, I thought I already won :D . You could say that the EQ is closer to the real thing since you only matched the EQ, but that does not make it to sound more natural. If you could improve the dynamics, response, resonance, etc... that would make it much more natural. Don't you agree with this?

I just wanted you to think you'd won so I could sneak in a smarmy comment after you left to celebrate your victory. Seriously, we can't debate this. It's all opinion and semantics. Nobody can really win but we can type for hours until we both start calling each other names. I don't wanna do that. I'll go back to my fanboy cave now. :)

"LOL, that's a mature reaction. Not my intention to bash you or win anything but just to point out the obvious :D ."
    If your intention was to point out the obvious then you would have typed "That does sound much better". 'Cause it obviously does. :)
    One mans obvious is another man's "WTF!!!????"

A lot of people seem to hear what they want to hear. Someone from Fractal made a test a few days ago to prove it. But objectively the only difference there is the equalization and that does not make it more natural or less fake sounding.

Ok. You win. On to your next cyber conquest now. :)

The synth effect is pretty cool but both sound equally fake to me. Honestly, I don't hear any improvement in the tone there. It does not sound more natural to my ears. It just sounds like the same synth with a different EQ, not better or worse.

Many disagree.

On TGP there is a post about tone matching, where the Axe is used to tone match a viola based on a clip from Youtube. It gets based on an inbuilt synth block in the Axe. The results are in the ball park, but not exactly tone matched. The claim is that the result is "much more natural now".

Hang on a minute - this guy hasn't been within 500 metres of a viola, so how can he say it's more natural now? I'm sure it's a great tool and will have some good results, but the level of fanboy excitement is ridiculous.

Dear Mr Sir Guy,

I made that post. I own three violins and have played for forty years. The EQ I captured was from a recording of a viola. If you listened to the clip you heard a very synthy sounding patch that was improved by overlaying the EQ of a real viola. It definitely sounded much more natural though not exactly like a real viola. I never claimed it did, it is a synth after all.

Now go look at my posting history and find anywhere or anything negative I have said about any poster or piece of gear on TGP. That includes the Kemper which I frequently praise. I can not say the same about you based on your insulting post.

A lot of folks here spend way too much time posting negative stuff about a piece of kit they neither own nor want. Jus sayin' :)

Here's the thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1073260