Posts by sorefingers

I ended up using GUI-tar to extract the backup, and BetterZip to put it back together in an uncompressed .tar file. As far as I can tell, GUI-tar only archives in a compressed file, but I'll try it again tonight when I have time. I had an issue with the KPA not recognizing the altered backup, but then realized I didn't remove the ".tar" tag at the end of the file name. You have to right click on the re-archived backup file, then "get info" then show the file extension to take it off.

The KPA restored the backup with no problems after that.

I edited almost all the rig names in OSX, but the KPA reads the name from the tag info unfortunately. Anybody know of a quick way to edit the tags? I'd prefer to name my rigs based upon the profiled amp for easier sorting, ie "Fender," "Cornford," etc in front of the rig name.

For the Mac users out there, I found this free program to extract and then put the backup file together again:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14503/gui-tar

I'm not near my KPA at the moment, but I was able to open the backup file by adding ".tar" to the end of it, and use the "extractor" function of Gui-Tar. It successfully extracted the backup with all the folders, etc. intact.

I'll report back when I try to put it back on my KPA.

With a name like GUI-Tar, it HAS to work, right? :D

I've got sucked into more than a few late nights by going down the KPA rabbit hole. I plan on just importing and checking out a new profile from the Rig Exchange, and I don't come up for air until hours later.

Most rigs/profiles sound soooo good, you just want to play and play.

I initially got it because I play bass as well as guitar. For bass, it makes a huge difference, obviously. I've found that it adds a bit of fullness to my guitar sound, too. You can set what frequencies you send to the sub when using it with hsm50 or hsm80 monitors.

Now that is what I call customer service, what more can you ask for.
    It just sounds like Radley is unhappy with what he has now and the owner of the company has made a generous offer.

For me I knew going in I would be involved in a evolving product and signed on for it.
    Sure there are functions I would love to have today but that is just not the way it works. I am ok with that.
    We have all become so spoiled by technology.
    Chris

I totally agree. I'm sure Chris is working to address issues.

I remember when you bought a product, and it was buggy, you were stuck with it and it stayed buggy with no hope for any updates. I worked for a major consumer electronics manufacturer in the '90s and there was one model of a laser disc/DVD player that was a total lemon. There was no way to update the firmware or features, and it was horrible.

Now, with the Internet, almost anything can be updated and have features added or operational problems resolved.

Not sure if this is in the right section. Admin can move it if needed.

I would love to have a t-shirt with the kemper logo on it. Are there any plans to offer them, or do they already exist? I searched the forum and didn't find anything.

I dont think that something like a 12" sub will get you anything near to the sound of a 12" guitar speaker. Those systems are designed for low end only and with their built-in crossovers they will only playback the frequencies like below 120 Hz or something. It would be cool for bass profiles, but for guitar tones... i am really not sure.

I think overall the size of your monitors depends on the size of your studio or practice room, etc.

I have the matching sub for my Yamaha HS80M monitors, and it all sounds great. I think if you add a sub, it's best to stick to the same series of equipment, since the speakers have likely been tuned to work together sonically and you can tweak the speaker settings to your taste. Many monitor manufacturers offer a matching subwoofer.

I wouldn't just add a home theater type subwoofer, but in the end, it's whatever sounds best to your ears.

I don't record for public consumption, so I never worry about how my sound will translate to somebody listening on an iPod or the radio.

I wonder what Chris Kemper uses?

He should try waiting on Eleven Rack updates from Avid if he wants to see what waiting is really like.

Considering the newness of the Kemper, I think the responsiveness of the developer has been pretty positive. I don't have mine yet ( waiting on the FedEx truck today), but from reading these forums it seems like there is plenty of good things being worked on for future updates.