Posts by gorillabendz

Great thread guys! Andy, db9091 - thanks for sharing some of your 'secret sauce' with us. Im planning to profile a couple of the amps I have - my biggest issue being the lack of a sound-treated recording platform. I have a few cheap condensers and a couple of workhorse guitar mics ... nothing as fancy as the Royers. I also have half-decent pres - will give it a whirl - and report back with profiles if Im satisfied with the results.

Cheers!

To Team Kemper: AWESOME job with the update guys - granted there are issues - and performance mode's not here yet - but it's a sizeable step in the right direction, and for that I salute you! Cant wait to try out 1.7.0 when I get back home from work :). That amp-in-the-room sounds pretty cool. Im also hoping that this release fixes stability and other currently invisible issues with the firmware (since it doesn't seem common practise to detail out bugs/issues fixed in each release).

Im not so bothered about the 1000 rig limit - it's a psychological hindrance for me anyway ;) - since I have about 400 rigs in my KPA right now - and Im going to get rid of a lot of junk that I got from the exchange. Would be awesome if the limit went away though - what I would really like is to organize my rigs in folders (for different projects/bands) - and this is where the limit begins to be a hindrance maybe?

Still a happy camper though ;) CHEERS!

Hey Armin - thanks for letting us know dude!
    WOW - off by a few Hz can make you believe that the intonation adjustment is all wrong depending on how good your ears are :). Appreciate it!

EDIT: BTW - I think I've seen this before 1.7.0 though - I tuned my guitar at a jam session using the KPA's tuner ... and notes above the 14th fret were ever so slightly off - tuned it with my pocket tuner - and things were good again.

I am not able to open the latest manual PDF. Adobe Reader gives me a 'There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.' message. Is anyone else seeing this?

I have tried the download multiple times - same issue. But yes, info about the performance mode has always been there (I have a 1.5 manual that has it - I think).

Thanks,

Hey Jay,

I hear what you're talking about - but as Will notes - there's a massive low-end in the sounds that you've selected. I have some of the free TAF stuff (with 1.6.0 i.e.) - and to be honest - they're not to my taste in terms of EQ and how I like my guitar to sound. That being said - I do love some of the other stuff that I've heard - and will get some soon. I've used my trusty Ibanez with DiMarzio pickups to record this.

Anyhoo - Here're links to 2 clips I recorded - off the SPDIF into logic. No post-processing done - what you hear is what was recorded:
    The settings are:

Input sense was at 3.0.
    Clean1 was recorded using Till's Recto Clean. The first half is only the Amp, tone stack and cabinet - I turned off the pedals and the effects for this one. The second half is the pedals turned off and ONLY effects turned on. Listen to the crackling - very clearly heard over the chords being played - especially watch out when the chords fade out to silence - you can still hear the crackling - and then silence - I dont really buy the 'clipping' argument - sorry. If it was a clipping artifact - I should have only heard it when the signal was LOUDER .. and it should not have been hear when it was fading out, right?

Clean2 - the crackling is tougher to catch - but still exhibits the issue (which is why I've posted this clip as well). This is based off a Kemper amps SOULDANO profile (love some of the Kemper profiled stuff - TOP CLASS). I've turned off the pedals for this one - and only turned on the effects. Again - input sense is low - it's at 3.0. No clipping was observed ... input LED was green throughout. This was a profile I modified for some stuff that I was doing. The 'crackling' is harder to catch for this one - but still there. It's in fact strange how it presents itself - if you listen carefully - it doesnt happen the first time around (when I strum the G chord and let it fade). But the second time around, when the G chord fades - you can hear it quite clearly. Again - I dont think that this is clipping - and am worried that discrepancies such as this could also creep into other aspects of my TONE :(.

Clean1 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/89893924/clean1-spdif.wav
    Clean2 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/89893924/clean2-spdif.wav

As many of you who cannot hear the crackling/fizz in these clips can attest - the Kemper STILL sounds pretty AWESOME and extremely useable (especially live). But to my ears - this reveals that - there's still things to be learned about this beast - and I would appreciate an explanation as to how I can avoid these artifacts from creeping into my work from now on (For example - earlier posters mentioned pickup-string distance)? OH - BTW - I can hear this stuff on my monitors - and headphones as well. I have not used fancy spectrum analysis tools to further prove my point - but I can provide a graph if required.

In all honesty guys - while I can find great use for an editor (especially right now - when my workflow is highly DAW based) - I rather like the knob and button based approach to editing that the Kemper design allows me. This is the same thing as mixing/mastering on a real console - as opposed to a point-and-click interface. It's quick and easy - it's like having a custom control surface made just for the Kemper ;). It's an absolute convenience for playing live as well!

Now for those who'll inevitably scream 'Kemper Fanboy' :) - I'll have you know that I'm looking to get an Axe FxII for the studio later this year - yes, over and above my gorgeous Kemper ;) - and I fully understand why an editor such as this is absolutely required for that device. It makes sense in that case - editing can be quite an adventure. I havent discussed this with my Kemper yet - but I plan to soon (waiting for 1.70) - and I do hope they'll get along ;).

Now that being said - if there's a KPA editor/librarian that seamlessly works with Logic (or any other DAW as a plugin) - and provides me USB MIDI and audio integration (like my Virus does) - then we're talking (and I would be supremely happy). But Im sure that this takes time and effort - and I'd rather (selfishly) have the team focused on getting high-priority items out of the door first ;).

Just my 2c ... Peace ...

I have a similar issue (and it persists after a system reset) too. I also hear the fizz at the tail end of chords played. This happens on clean profiles.
    Im not sure why this happens - but am unable to work around this. Would appreciate some help on this as well.

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm ... no responses on this one - looks like Im the only one who was seeing this. Anyway - upgraded to 1.60 stable release AND did a system reset (power on to tuner WHILE holding the system button).

All seems well now - only tried the headphone jack though - will try recording (main outs and SPDIF) again to see if the issue persists. The system reset (or the upgrade?) did clean up lot of the scratchy sounds though. Seems to have solved the master volume noise issues that I was having.

Will keep an eye open for this one though.

EDIT: Tested with the main audio outs - and this issue seems to be fixed when I moved up to the 1.6 release - and performed a system RESET. Not sure if it was the reset of the upgrade that fixed it. I always do a reset when I upgrade the firmware anyhow.

Hey guys,

I was laying down some tracks yesterday - and noticed the following issue. Im wondering if it's just me - or if there are others seeing this as well?

So I was getting this mild crackling when changing the master volume back and forth. So I turned off all effects, amps and mods - and to my surprise - even with the unaffected guitar signal - I was hearing a crackling sound with just the guitar signal going through the KPA - sounds like a scratchy pot(entiometer) from the old analog pot days.

Im pretty sure its the same crackling I hear at the tail end of chords on some profiles.

What could I be doing wrong? Is my guitar clipping the signal chain somehow (clean input sense was set to like 2.0 or something)?

I did do a system reset after installing 1.6 (Im still running the Beta version - I looked at the change log - and didnt see any significant differences - so decided to wait for the next one instead).

Thanks for any help!

The Kemper cannot be used as an audio interface or a device that is recognised on the USB bus (yet?). The USB port, however, can be used to attach a USB drive from which profiles or new firmware releases can be loaded onto the Kemper.

HTH ..

How many profiles do you have on there Armin? I've recently started using the autoload - and havent seen a crash yet - though I've been switching through rigs very slowly. Will try to browse through them really fast and see if it breaks anything.

Also - are you constantly playing through the kemper while switching?

Thanks Zappledan! Kieroc - this was a mixture of 3 profiles - was trying out reamping with the Kemper. They were GT 75 Crunch, GT 75 Clean and a Mesa Boogie profile - all from the rig exchange. Need to get some of Andy's profiles - have my eye on some :).

Cheers folks!

+1

Yep - hoping the performance mode has something like this - could also be generic i.e. have 'n' number of 'modifier blocks' available - in each phase of a performance, which can be assigned freely to various parameters to be controlled (sort of like a parameter scene) all through the chain - could also be AMP gain, EQ settings, delay dry/wet mix, Fx ducking etc. Just a thought/wish - havent thought through the nitty-gritties (if wishes were horses ... ;)).

My Boss GT-8 has something like this - and I find it very useful.

An excellent idea nevertheless!