Posts by stompman

First thing I do with a stock Profile.
    If it's a cleanish Profile, I add a Compressor to Stomp B (I leave stomp A for Wah Wah).
    I also add a bit of Compressor in the amp block, press and hold the 'Amplifier' button.
    First thing I try with a rock or hi gain stock Profile...many Marshalls, Bogner, Soldano, etc...I like adding the stomp Compressor in Stomp B for every Profile, I like a Compressor pedal up
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111…inets%20August%202012.zip

Thx for this post WRT your approach. I'm curious what Compressor settings you are using for clean vs. high gain amps. I'm still learning the effects in this rabbit hole!

Thx for sharing your thoughts and congratulations!

I'm particularly curious how the 212 compares to the RCF NX 12. Even the 112 vs. the RCF for that matter. I have been trying to decide whether I want to get 2 FRFR monitors (e.g., Adams), 1 RCF NX 10, or an amp solution like the Camper. I'm leaning towards the later two options right now. I only play for home entertainment and would like to be able to jam with others (not in a gig environment though). Not even sure if I really need to be able to play over a drummer.

Any thoughts on this vs. the RCF per the above?

thx!

I've been very happy with my Sennheiser HD598 headphones. At first I was less so, although the headphones were breaking in. I find that some rigs just don't sound good through them. I can't say whether this is the headphones problem as I don't have monitors to compare to. Anyway, virtually every Amp Factory profile I have tried sounds fantastic and definitely some of the rig exchange. There are also some stock profiles that I really like through the headphones.

I have used Will Chen's headphone reverb recommendations and these are amazing. Also, I find that tweaking the presence and treble can make a huge difference in the sound.

The 598 headphones are 50 ohm headphones so they are not that demanding on the headphone amp.

Great clip! I have been thinking about getting some WCRs (Darkburst neck / Godwood bridge) and I noticed you are using the American Steele set so this clip is timely - thank you! I assume the soloing (which I really enjoyed) was the Godwood. What setting was the rhythm on?

Great tone/playing & again, great job!

Thx for both your input! Much appreciated. I like the idea of dry recording and trying various rigs. Takes a bit to set up, but can go through a number of amps that way with relative ease once you make the investment.

I clearly am not a recording professional...and what I'm hearing is that there may be two categories of amps to keep on my short list. One for recording and one for jamming. I knew that many players live rigs differed from their recording rigs (e.g., Tony Rombola from what I have heard)...just never thought it through that far.

Much appreciated!

I agree with that unfortunately...I'm just hoping they'd be close enough for me to decide what amps work and what don't. Or rather, what amps sound great and what amps are just ok. Could just be wishful thinking... :S

OK...so the day has come where I, like so many others, have too many good profiles. I must say, it is a nice problem to have. But still a problem nonetheless.

So I've been thinking about a new way to deal with this and want to get some creative thoughts from the peanut gallery. I love the idea of having a variety of amps to choose from and when I want to play a certain amp, I can dial in that amp. I find I like many profiles of some amps and only 1 or 2 profiles of other amps (from the same rig uploader of course).

What I'm thinking about doing is to start identifying which amps sound good with my Gibson Studio with its Burstbucker Pros for the kind of music I like to play. I might even do the same with my Squier Stratocaster, but I really don't play this guitar anymore.

The idea is that some amps just won't work well for my setup/taste without a lot of tweaking and frankly there are too many great sounding rigs to warrant such tweaking. Of course I would have to try a few different uploader's rigs to "blacklist" an amp...but nonetheless, it would be nice to know which amps aren't a good fit for me just the same. For the amps that do work, I would still check out new uploads to see if they improve on the sound for me. I probably wouldn't keep a lot of one-off rigs where only 1 or 2 profiles of a rig sounded good unless it is truly exceptional.

To do this, I would put together a spreadsheet of amps to manage what I've tried and liked/disliked for various rig uploaders in addition to the cabinet/mic used.

One wildcard in this is the cabinet as it can be swapped (and to a lesser degree the mic). There might be some amps that sound bad to me through one cab/mic setup but sound good under a different. I figure by trying a few uploads, I can account for this.

Anyway...not sure if anybody has tried this approach. Would be good to know. Feedback welcome!

Fantastic demo! Any notable tweaks to the basic rig? I've gotta try this one. Also, I'm curious what pickups you're using your '61. Finally, I wasn't listening too closely outside of guitar and vocals (both of which sounded awesome), but curious if you used a backing track for the rest.

Excellent sound from this combination!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This inspired me to experiment with the Soul Dano Drive profile. Added a Compressor in Slot A (0 volume) and a Pure Boost in Slot B (4.9 volume) and matched it with Tills 1960 054 Breman. Very different sound than your combo.

This is just too much fun!! :P