Posts by nico45

You are using the CLR's free field ("FF") switch selection then, correct? If not, then you should do so. The "BL" setting is only appropriate for placement of the speaker on the floor.

Hi. To be honest I can't recall. I know I flicked between settings that night during the comparison. I think I actually preferred the BL setting, but I can't recall for sure. I know I tried both, however I simply preferred the DSR's.

Quoted from "nico45"

Odds are that, had your PA comprised CLRs, you would have had exactly the same comparative result, preferring a pair of them in wedge or pole-mount position to a single one in backline use. Hardly a surprising result....

Well, betting odds can always disappoint, I guess. I have the backline CLR raised off the floor perched on a roadcase, and is at equivalent height to my waist/torso. Not simply shooting past my feet. The wedges in our (not exactly purpose built) rehearsal space are each sitting atop of some desks (not as wedges but upright on the desks). We rehearse in the drummers office space. So in fact they are both at almost the same height as each other. At the time I went between the two several times to appease my curiosity, placing myself in a number of different positions for each. The drummer in a seated position, with both types pretty much aimed at his head, preferred the DSR. I didn't say that in my previous post because, well, he is a drummer. What would he know! I have just responded to the OP request for views, I provided mine as I have the advantage of owning both. Not looking to go to war with anyone, but hope the OP can get something from my experience/opinion.

I have already said, I am not unhappy with the CLR, but to MY EAR, the DSR is the winner.

Hi. I don't want to enter the technical to and fro of this thread, but I own both. I have the CLR (cube, not the wedge) and I have a pair of DSR12 speakers for our rehearsal space. They are used as the vocal monitor.

I can say I preferred the DSR in a side by side. I was having trouble getting over a sit-in second guitar one night, and went into the desk to see if that helped. No problem being heard (but there is a pair of them) but more importantly I preferred the sound and feel. More robust, closer to my real amp set-up.

I'm not dissing on the CLR, I still use it both live and at rehearsal because it is more portable and ergonomic to sit my toaster atop, and everyone still comments how good the rig sounds. But to my ear, the DSR was a clear winner in the tone department. I had the CLR before picking up the DSR's in a run-out sale. Had I come by the DSR's first, I wouldn't have the CLR.

Just sayin'.

Peace, Nic.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I have a Camper 2x12 which is said to be 2 x 180 watt power section. (I know this is a different beast to the CX).
    There are two inputs, left and right/both. I use the "both" from my monitor out controlling volume from the KPA master. I use this for stage monitor, FOH goes direct and is not linked to the master volume. I don't miss/want for a volume control on the unit itself.

I agree with a previous poster in surprise the CX could not keep up with a loud drummer. I cannot have my output to the Camper above -14db, and usually have it lower. At -17db I have long overtaken the other guitarist using Marshall half-stack, and the drummer needs side fill to have a clue what he is hitting. That is not because he is afraid to hit his kit, he is as loud as any I have heard.

I guess what I am saying, at least in the Camper 2x12, there is huge power reserve. I cannot imagine a scenario when I would be left wanting for volume. I suspect the test unit has a flaw, unless the company has employed a completely different power section.

I have not compared the Camper to the other units tested in this thread. I am in Australia and don't know the Matrix is even here. The CLR is a two hour drive for me to try, and I haven't felt the need (even though the Camper is not a FRFR and is a little dark sounding. I simply adjusted the eq in the monitor out to compensate and it works for me).

Regards to all.

I don't usually feel the urge to post although I read this forum often. I am nervous as hell about tonight's gig. I experienced the issue (only once) last week, but Murphy's law..... I would really like to know where we are at. I am still tossing up leaving toaster at home and using tried and true. Who would have thought valves to be the reliable route? I love the Kemper, but it has to work live.