Posts by Janne

If You provide the desk with an appropriate level then You have done what You can. If there is lack of volume in Your monitors or to the FOH it's an issue from the desk to the amps/speakers.

I haven't heard the Studio 68 but I guess it will not sound much different than the Focusrite over headphones.
    From what I've seen in other discussions, the headphone amps on all budget/mid-price interfaces are mediocre, it's not a feature that potential customers are prepared to pay a higher price for...
    And if the interface is supposed to be USB powered then the headphone amp will be suffering...

I have a Focusrite PRO 40 that drives my DT-250 (250ohms) great, but it's not bus bowered, but I don't like mixing on headphones anyway so I can't really compare.

To get great headphone sound I guess You'll have to get a dedicated solution like the Monitor Station.

Space will not work OK in a Stomp slot since it's a stereo fx so it needs to go in the FX slots.
    Another couple of things:
    Make sure that the guitar feed to the headphones is in stereo, in the Mix control software You can get the inputs (L&R) either as a stereo channel or as two individual channels, and then they are panned center. So the space FX will not be usable anyway.
    It is a well known fact that the headphone preamp in the KPA is great!
    I bet you will not find any audio interface (apart from some very expensive ones) that has put so much cost into their headphone amp. You might have to go for a dedicated headphone/listening system to match the KPA.

Since You use a mac, check out the reputation the manufacturer have...
    Being a mac users myself I've been there myself:
    M-Audio: Way back they clearly didn't know how to make drivers. A simple 0.x of macOS would break their drivers and they took months to fix... just in time for next OS update. (disclaimer, they might have shaped up)
    Tascam: Didn't have any mac developer inhouse, were using contractors, didn't support their stuff at all. Took over a year to even acknowledging a bug that made it impossible to use it on 64-bit os.

Did my research and went with Focusrite, macOS is first Class Citizen, Got a Saffire Pro 40 in 2009 and it have worked flawlessly since then. When it dies I'll get a Focusrite interface again.

Having a Suhr GG Modern and a Suhr Standard I know what You mean, they are quite articulate and that is one of the reasons I love 'em.
    When hunting for these smoother tones don't under estimate the tone knob on the guitar. Before I got my Suhrs I never used that knob, and I actually never got along with a neck humbucker either, but Suhr pickups and even that tone is wonderful. You can just dial down a bit of 'presence' and still be clear without going fully wooly...
    Works nice even on single coils to a get a smooth jazz tone. I can't explain it but it does something that I can't replicate with a EQ...
    Of course a nice profile is a must, I've had a lot of joy with the Robben F like Dumble rig from M.Britt, but there is others out there.

I'll just want to add my appreciation of Matts BE100!
    After using it for week it has become my to go profiles at the moment. A good set of clean/crunch/higain profiles that sounds amazing right out of the box due to a great cab as one of the reasons.
    Reacts to volume, attack and pickups really well with great detail and string separation without any traces of phase issues or other artefacts.

In browse mode, I usually have the Stomp and FX sections locked with my personal basic fx's in place (gate, wha, delay, rev).
    So when I test rigs, the KPA only loads the amp and cab part. Sometimes I even lock the cab with one my fav cabs, when I'm auditioning rigs that have (in my taste) boring/bad cabs.

IMO, it's not that the KPA sounds better when it's cranked. It's You ears that perceives loud as 'better' (fuller/fatter/heavier).
    I'm actually using my DXR10 in my apartment and I love the way it sounds even at low volumes. I like it better than through my Adam A7 nearfields.
    Although I'm very aware that when I use the same profiles at rehearsals they often give slightly different impressions but that is good old Fletcher-Munson in action... :D

I have been reading a lot of contradictory advices regarding the use of the DXR10 for low volumes.Some people like you find it adequate for this use.
    Other people find it completely inadequate, citing the fan noise produced by the device, and a bad result at low volume.
    I'm a little confused since i would not be able to try it on site without buying it first.

Yes, you will probably notice that fan when You are not playing, it's about as loud as a computer fan. You will not hear it when you play.
    The DXR10 sounds great both cranked and even at low volumes at home. I have Adam A7 speaker as my studio speakers but I very much prefer the KPA through the DXR. Meatier, for lack of a better word.
    Never been happier with my sound. I have used digital stuff at home for many years and tube rigs live, and this is the first time I get the same feel and sound in both environments... YMMV of course, but for me the KPA is now my preferred amp.