Posts by bd80214a8532fd008d3a9931f30947a40d53f688

Hi Dorrus,

Given that you say you can't hear yourself when the other members of the band are playing, I think your best solution is to boost the mid frequencies of the monitor-output EQ in the Kemper's output section. This tends to be the simplest and fastest way to make something 'cut through the mix'. You may want to also boost the upper frequencies a little bit as well to compensate. Don't boost the bass frequencies though as that will not help, and if anything will 'hide' your sound again. Bear in mind that after doing this you should make slight volume adjustments to compensate for the boosted frequencies, and that if you make your sound too prominent you may piss-off your fellow band mates. Work with them, I would suggest altering you sound in a rehearsal, especially if you get to rehearse where you are going to play.

Hi Silence2-38554, I would say that it completely depends on your performance situation and preference for monitoring.

As mentioned before, the head vs. rack argument depends largely on what kind of gigs and how much gear you are shifting (also the transport used).
    If you are planing on shifting a lot of external gear, such as external effects (chorus, harmoniser, reverb/delay, pedals etc.) then you are probably better going with the rack option; as then you will be able to save time, effort and space.

If you aren't taking this route, and are sticking with the effects inside the Kemper (which are amazing; btw), then you may be better suited going with the head; as then you may find it easier to shift (you can purchase bags to carry the head in; a good option if you walk to any gigs/rehearsals). However, in the case where you only have the Kemper (and maybe a cabinet), I feel the rack vs. head argument is resolved more by your personal preference of aesthetics, and your predictions of gear you may want in the future.

As for the internal power vs. external power argument. It largely depends on whether you are using FOH, and if you are using passive monitoring. If you aren't using FOH, and you want a stereo image on stage with your passive monitoring, then you are probably better with an external amp. It's the same story for if you want to use multiple cabinets.
    Keep in mind that, whilst the power amp in the Kemper is mono, you can still send your reverb and delay effects down the line, it'll just be in mono. You can change the signal that is sent to each output individually on the kemper.

You can, by the way, use the main output (stereo) of the Kemper whilst you are feeding the monitor with your own signal at the same time.
    I don't think there is any argument to be had on whether the Kemper's power amp is going to be loud enough. It runs at 600W RMS for an 8Ω load. That will deafen you quickly if you were to play that loud, and you'd probably be instantly disliked by your neighbours.
    So the Kemper's amp definitely has enough headroom, and can achieve pretty much any gig.

If I were you and you had decided to go with the external amp, then I would definitely choose the rack Kemper, as I would find that to be far more convenient.
    Of course there may be a price argument to be had, but I can't be bothered to go into that, and that's your business anyway.

Hope that helps, and that I haven't confused you.
    Most of all though, welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your Kemper very much.