Posts by bugfight

i was playing with headphones for a change (cab sim back on) and not hearing this. so i even tried recreating it again and still was not hearing it anymore. i didn't do exhaustive testing or anything, but turning cab sim back off made it return in spades in the headphones (along with ice-pick-to-the-ears™ sound - turn way down if you want to try this)

so i wonder if everyone hearing this is running (like me) with cab sim turned off and the filtering in the cab sim is clearing it for the others...

i used an mp1 back in the day, and it seems to me that the solid state setting was just a di sound. i think you'd get essentially the same sound by profiling a cable. what made it interesting at all was the compressor and the chorus, and of course whatever cabinet you were using...

otoh, that's what's unique about the kemper, you can profile anything.
    i sold mine long ago, so can't help directly, but i bet someone will oblige...

i am quite pleased to get in on the action during development. but this isn't quite beta anyway, i gather they have a real beta program going that gets to test these before the public release, the lucky sominum batches

exactly, isn't this why we have more than one guitar in the first place? we want these differences. this is one of the things that i find compelling about the kemper, we can also match the best guitar with the best amp without hauling the amps around.

this is a good idea, not just to save on a midi adapter, but because midi over usb can transfer data very much faster than over din5. it may still be too slow for backup dumps, but we have sneakernet for that, and single profile dumps from an editor app could be lickity split, without needing a custom driver.

That's awesome. You've exhibited the very behavior you're lampooning in the same post. :D

not that i'm above lampooning myself, but i'm not seeing this, what don't i understand?
    you seem to be asking questions like you are confused and yet offering advice anyway.
    this love it or leave it attitude is helping no-one...

but enough derail...
    meanwhile i was able to repeat this with 4 very different guitars.
    - strat - dg-emg pickups
    - asat - charlie christian pickups
    - lucille - duncan jazz humbuckers, 13s
    - godin lgxa - stock godin humbuckers

i used the kemper profile JMP77-001 (just the first kemper profile i found that behaved this way - turn off distortion and delay, crank the gain) and can consistently get the "suffocating alien" sound by playing high D (2nd string 15th fret) and bending up to Eb and slowly bending it slightly. with full feedback this even can result in the synthetic swoops we normally associate with aliasing. the pitch moves much further than i would expect, a microtonal bend can move it a lot, so maybe some other mechanism is at play...

i watched the input level and output level leds to avoid red.

i tried modding clean sense (no effect) distortion sense (also no effect) and presence (quite a bit of effect)
    some presence boost brought the artifacts up front, though the character didn't change.
    this is unsurprising, but might be useful for repeating the experiment.

i also was able to get the suffocating alien with the guitar volume turned down on all guitars, so i think the hot pickup idea is busted.

note that i didn't find this because someone else pointed it out, i was sometimes hearing these strange swoops in the opposite direction of bends and went to investigate. this is not the only way to get the effect, but hopefully at least is a repeatable way...

i wonder if this has something to do with input level... ck mentioned the unit has a ton of headroom, maybe this only happens with hot pickups plus tons of gain. i will try messing with clean sense and different guitars as input. so far i mainly used a strat with emgs and active tone controls and an asat with charlie christians (pretty hot pickups), hmmm all single coils too...

this vid will rock, no doubt. the andertons vids also had an influence on me, mainly because before i saw them i didn't believe this thing could work. it was david torns clips coming across my facebook feed that clinched the deal.

just thought i would add another "me too."
    i experienced this aliasing sound on day one (just over a week ago), just wanking around with the presets. this was before updating the os, sorry i didn't note the original version number before updating.

I tend to play with a lot of string feedback, which the kemper excels at vs any other tube sim i've played. so far, I have only been running through guitar cabs with cab disabled on the kemper. i am curious but doubtful if feedback works as well through frfr. depending on which harmonics take hold sometimes you do get this sound. it moves contrary to string bends so is quite audible.

after update to v1.5 it is improved, so I suppose I must have been hearing it mostly on rigs that had stomps enabled. but i can still reproduce this after the latest update.

i totally agree that this is not a deal breaker, so far it's the only thing i've found disappointing, and i do think it can be fixed in software