Posts by jamesnorth

This is a bit of a bummer at the moment - but it just means that you'll have to go into the DAW via an analog (xlr/trs) cable, rather than via SPDIF.

It'd be great if it could sync as a slave and at higher rates, but I'm not sure it's on the radar of development?

I've never been to a professional recording studio clocking to 48k. Sure you're not talking about film/post or project studios? Sure, some used 48k with digital tapes of various kinds way back when, but the path beyond them was analog. It all went through analog mixers, routing etc. No master clock.

The ADDA interfaces I use (SSL's) can do 44.1 up to 96, I think it's just a preference for working. My disks and computers could easily handle tracking/mixing at 96, but in my experience making records, it makes zero difference to the final product (16/44.1). I know large format studios that use 44.1, 48 and will go to 96, but only when people ("expert" clients) ask them to.

ADAT was a pretty big connectivity system - not just DATs.

In any case, 44.1 is no more or less common as a working format than 48. I'm also pretty sure SPDIF can't go over 96khz? This is why it would be nice to have access to other standards with the Kemper. :)

Bitrate? :S

The AxeFx is locked at 48k and that is not going to change, or so the maker said. I'd be surprised if incorporating slave mode and different sample rate outputs in the Kemper is as easy as writing a bit of code...

The Axe's digital lock at 48k was unusable for me, unless I did the odd guitar to soundtrack/movie. Between 48/44.1 I'm really glad the Kemper is 44.1! It is still standard in the music business. Actually, I've only ever encountered 44.1 and 96.

48khz is the highest sample rate for 8 channels over an ADAT lightpipe link, so even though people are slowly moving to MADI and other formats, it's extremely common in studios. 96 is just a doubling of 48 - which is why it's also quite common :)

44.1 is the final sample rate of stereo recording results after mastering of course - but until that point, a lot of equipment is set to 48 or 96.

Yeah it's just one flash on a random knob LED

james, do you mean a led comes out in bright flashing when the LPA is turned on?

Yes while it's running

This happened to me last night actually...
    Originated from either the gain or tuner area - thought I was seeing things though and decided it was time to put myself to bed with a tablet...
    A relief really... one less psychiatric problem to worry about...

I might have a chat to support - it's possible I could video it. Glad I'm also not crazy! :)

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone has had this problem with the 1.8 firmware?

Basically what happens is while the unit is on, a really bright flash comes out of one of the LEDs around the main knobs down the bottom. It's not the green colour that the LEDs normally emit, it's a really bright white/blue colour. If I downgrade to previous versions, it doesn't happen anymore.

Sometimes it has been the volume, sometimes one of the EQs ... once or twice the gain.

If nobody else has seen it, I might shoot an email through to support.

Coming at it purely from a recording perspective, the great free profiles Andy's already provided allow for the player to perform with certain dynamics and tone that don't exist when just hearing back a DI signal. I find them extremely useful in tracking and re-amping in the studio. This is why I'd love to have more options (and would be happy to pay for them).

I capture bass amps from clients who bring them in as well and it works really well. I am sure the KPA wasn't meant for bass initially, but it's more than useable.

:thumbup:

I'd also love some more bass amp options. I already record regularly with the existing ones out there, but I'd pay good money to have some good bass amps at the standard of Andy's guitar amps.

*secret hint within*

Finally some success for me - I was on 1.5.4 and it failed multiple times at the 99% mark - "Update Failed, Data could not be read".

I downgraded to 1.5.2 Release Version (not beta) and then went to 1.6 and this worked for me.

Never had that one before :)

Thanks guys I'll give this a try.

I'm at 1.5.4 and can't get to 1.6 despite multiple USB sticks and downloads.

The process gets to 100% and then fails "Update has Failed. There was a problem reading update data" ...

Hoping to use the same USB stick I've dedicated to the Kemper for several months and I've done about 5 updates with no problem prior to this :/

I might try to go down to 1.5.2 and then back up again.

No need to trim down....could be the usb stick, try another one, try also downloading the update again (could be a corrupted download)

I will try the download again and I might try another stick - though this is the one I've always dedicated for use with the Kemper for several months now.

Pretty weird as all other updates have gone perfectly and I've been all "Hey you guys who can't get it to work are doing it wrong - IT'S SO EASY!!"

:thumbup:

Weirdly, mine won't update to 1.6.0 properly .. have tried it a few times. I was on 1.5.4. It gets to 100% of the process and then says:

"Update has failed

There was a problem reading update data."

Not sure if it's because Andy's Rigs are already on my machine and it can't overwrite them (with the new included ones?) Who knows.

Ah well maybe I'll try in the morning and all will be fine :)