Posts by lightbox

This sound IS the architypical sound of a neck pickup of a Les Paul and a Marshall. Have you ever plugged a Les Paul with PAF-type pickups in an old Marshall? This sound is what you get when you swith to the neck pickup. There ist absolutely no way to get even in the ballpark with the middle-position. If you have the chance of seeing Mark live, he does play it on the neck pickup as well. I have never seen him playing that song with middle position.

Garrincha, I think it's best to just post an image taken from the 1985 Wembley concert during Brothers in Arms performance. Try to find the PU position on your own. ;) 'nuff said, I won't comment on the other statements.
    [Blocked Image: http://www.wikpa.org/_files/mk-middle-position.jpg]

... but since _one_ side had to be finished first, we believe this is the better approach. ...

Hm, as much as I would like to agree, I simply can't. As much as I'm looking forward to the RigManager and as much as I appreciate your efforts, I know (from my own experience) that I could have come up with both at the same time easily. Maybe it's a matter of tool choice. But when I build software, I can have both platforms ready to run even from the very first pre-alpha version. Yes, there are a few things to consider when doing multi-platform development, but if you're used to these differences it's not a problem at all. Maybe the rainy weekend was a bit exagerated, but like dvp already said, 1 month isn't a problem at all if an experienced software developer has all the technical specs needed.

Anyway, go ahead and make it happen. If it helps you to believe that it couldn't have been done much faster ... fine. :)

Yes, I think you're missing something. :)
    If you record an uncompressed audio signal with lots of dynamics ... and you take care that the peaks stay just below clipping, then the overall perceived volume is much less than with a compressed signal recorded just below clipping. So with both signals you have the same max level, but one of them is much louder. That's what is used for pretty much ALL commercially produced pop music. They reduce the dynamics using compression.

The above said can easily be translated to the Power Amp Booster. You can increase the loudness of your Power Amp Output while still making sure that you don't increase the peaks at the same time. Add some Power Amp Boost and roll back the overall Output level. You'll loose some headroom (dynamics) but you increase the perceived volume within the limitations of your "weak" speaker. It's like "keep the peaks below 100W but at the same time increase the lower volume parts of your playing".

I don't know how to explain better in english. Sorry if I can't make it clearer than that.

... Why going native anyhow? A nice web-based service would be far better.

I disagree on this. I'm pretty glad there's still software that doesn't jump on the web-based app service & cloud hype. I prefer to have software installed locally, independent from web access. If there's an additional (and optional) link to the Rig Exchange, fine. But I would hate if it was required to use it.

Regarding the "Win first, Mac later" issue ... all I can say is: I offered them my help, having 20 years of experience creating professional dual platform applications. They didn't even bother to say yes or no thanks, no reaction at all. Anyway, I'm glad something is coming soon, just hope it will have all the functionality we need to speed up our rig management considerably. Don't want to mess around with some half baked alpha state software.

I'm fairly certain I understand what it means... are you saying that, by increasing the boost level, you decrease the volume?

No, what I try to say is: If you increase the booster, you can reduce the level to achieve the same volume like before. You don't just add Boost to get even more volume out of your speaker. You use it to get the same volume with less power peaks from hard attacks and transients (less headroom).

Looks like you're right, Robrecht. Yet another bass player on Kemper's Facebook page.
    And this makes me wonder if there's a foot controller coming at NAMM. Maybe we'll have to wait until mid March (Musikmesse)?

Take a Les Paul, use both PUs (middle position, that's what Mark did for sure), roll back volume a bit on both PUs, take the 1963 Fender Vibrolux Brownface from TAF's Vintage & Rare Collection (the AFV-63 Vibrolux Full rig) and you're spot on. So spot on, that I don't even believe the famous Mark Knopfler tone website where it's said that he used a JTM-45 for this song. If I use the above combination, I can't even hear myself playing in the mix with the original album version as long as I don't lower the song's volume quite a bit.

Nice version of Brothers in arms, burningyen. Pretty close :)

Would a breakoutbox be the solution to my problem? (and what exactly is a breakout box)?

Many years ago, the external interfaces of a computer (like USB1.0) were to slow to transmit and receive multiple channels of audio in and out of the computer. That's why many manufacturers introduced audio interface cards that had a custom digital connection to an external or internal 5.25" box were you had lots of I/O conveniently accessible on your desktop or on the front of your tower case. These breakout boxes have mostly vanished because today's USB2 and Firewire (and Thunderbolt) have proven good enough. So these breakout boxes have become USB or Firewire interfaces in 99%. There still are a few top end expensive combinations of PCIe card and external I/O boxes, especially from RME. But that's nothing you need, imho. :)

Here's a simple example of an old audio interface card with a breakout box:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.hwsw.hu/kepek/cikkek/733/DMX6fire2496_Board_and_Module_L.jpg]

Regarding the selfmade shield: Wow, I wouldn't even try. You have to be very careful that the shield can NEVER touch the electronics. But if you want to try, go ahead ... at your own risk. :)

Problem might be that you're using an unshielded audio interface inside your computer. There's a lot of unwanted RF noise inside a computer, especially from (but not limited to) the graphic card. One solution you could/should try: give the audio interface card the maximum possible distance to the graphic card. I've never understood why even expensive PCIe audio interfaces aren't equipped with a nice grounded shield to prevent this.

The overall sound of your demo clip sounds VERY muffled, like neck PU and rolled back tone. I own the same profile and I can copy this tone. So what you recorded is in the profile/rig. Nothing wrong with your monitoring and nothing wrong with your Profiler. This is just the way the Fender Bassman sounds when you leave clean territory. Anything beyond Gain 5 will develop this effect, even the Bassman 59 does. And the Timmy Overdrive used in your rig adds to this effect.

Something for you to watch:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not the best audio quality, but I think you will immediately see how the original amp does the very same. Beautiful cleans but from 3:00 on you will notice what you called "noise" when he adds more Gain. That's the Bassman. ;)

As I said before, with Logic running, you hear the same signal twice. The direct signal from the Profiler and then the monitoring of the same signal through Logic (with some added latency).
    Disable Software Monitoring and everything related to Input Monitoring in Logic. You don't want that, you want to use the zero latency monitoring of your audio interface.