Posts by Enchilada_Jones

• You've made a backup.
    • Make a copy of the backup file.
    • Rename the backup file to mybackup.tar (The file suffix tar is the important part).
    • If you have a corresponding file compression tool like WinRAR, you can now umcompress the backup file to a new folder.
    • If you now open the new folder with the uncompressed backup, you should see lots of folders with one of them being "Rigs".
    • Inside "Rigs" you will find all the rigs that have been saved with the backup.
    • On Windows you should always see ALL rig files, even those with a leading decimal point. On other systems like Linux or Unix based OSX, files with a leading decimal point can be hidden. In case of leading decimal points in file names it's not a matter of what's behind the point but only a matter of "there's nothing in front of the decimal point".

Kemper decided (for good reason) to keep the rig filename convention to "name - date time.kipr". If they had it "date time - name.kipr" the decimal point issue couldn't arise. But it would be way more difficult to have your rigs sorted by actual name of course.

No luck. I tried two different compression utilities. In the Rigs folder, from inside Windows 8/compression utility, I still see 470 rigs and there should be around 520.

I had the name of the compression utility wrong that I had tried initially, it is Total Commander. This time I went ahead and actually extracted them after renaming the file as you suggested but the same result. I also used 7-Zip with the same results, no files with the decimal point at the beginning of the name. None of the 50+ files that I'm missing seem to be in the backup file. Note this back up was created using 1.6.1 OS.

Any other ideas? And thanks for helping!

Please log a ticket with support. Do you have an older backup?

I do have at least one older one but it wouldn't have the files that I need on it.
    I'll do the ticket in a little while.

I'm wondering if the files might be on the USB but not visible. But if they were there it would have been the KPA that put them there in the first place so unless the new firmware is the reason they disappeared, AND File Commander ALSO wont see them....then they never were included in the creation of the backup to begin with.
    I think the system sees anything after a decimal point as a file name suffix and that means the files had no name before a too long suffix.....
    You would think the KPA wouldn't let me name them with a name it can't handle but who knows.

If they are there then maybe simply installing1.6 would allow them to reappear.....rename and update again..viola! But not likely.

Check the view settings. Have you tried restoring the backup?

Edit: are you sorting by Favourites?

Are the View settings the button where you sort by author, my rigs, last imported, etc? (Sorry, not at KPA right now)
    If so then yes I've tried that.
    I have almost every rig as a favorite right now since there is no editor my method is to delete all non favorites every couple of weeks or so to keep the total down.

I never bothered to try to examine the contents of my backups before. I did open my last backup in File Commander after installing the backup to the KPA failed to bring back the missing rigs. They aren't there, or at least not visible.

So far I have updated to 1.7 beta, discovered rigs missing, checked all folders, 'favorites, my rigs, last imported', etc, then installed yesterday's back up, then opened yesterday's back up in FileCommander to see if the missing rigs were there.
    When I installed yesterday's backup the same message about 'Enjoy your new firmware' message showed again....not sure that means it updated firmware a second time or not..

My spirit is crushed right now. I don't have the desire right now to start over.
    I'm afraid the computer, and apparently the new firmware, doesn't like the decimal point at the beginning of the file name. The KPA let me name them that way but I guess it refuses to see them as a part of a back up or as part of the updating process.

I made a backup to the usb drive yesterday and installed the beta today.
    Of the 500+ rigs that were on the KPA I had about 50 rigs, all of the ones I care about, sorted into three main groups. They were duplicates in a sense with the fine tuning to sound best with the type of amplification I was using them for.

.1 tube power amp with guitar cabs
    .2 FRFR
    .3 Headphones

they were renamed accordingly with a prefix of a decimal point and either the number 1,2 or 3.
    So, for example, there could have been 3 rigs named "JTM-1" but the full name would have been: " .1 JTM-1" or ".2 JTM-1" or ".3 JTM-1"

Now, after the update to the beta OS there are no .1 or .2 or .3 rigs. And they don't exist in my back up either!!

Am I screwed by virtue of the decimal point/numeral prefix?

I meant to lock it in "off" status....or did I misunderstood?

I think that is the problem. Locking the cab, either on, or off, also locks that particular cab so when you switch rigs you bring that particular locked cab driver with you....
    If you could lock only the status of the Cab button without locking the cab itself would be usefull. That way you don't have to save each rig with the cab switch in the off position individually for the rigs you want to use for power amp in stereo from main outputs.

I think I'm going to start creating copies of my favorite power amp/guitar cab rigs to be dedicated stereo rigs. Right now, to keep track of things I put a prefix in the name of all my rigs: ".1" for my power amp/guitar cab rigs and a prefix of ".2" for my FRFR rigs.....so ".3" can be the power amp/guitar cab rigs in stereo...

the prefix keeps them grouped together in the menus.

Thanks for the clarification. This means I can switch my cabling and make full use of my stereo power amp and pair of cabs!
    Is there a way to lock the cab button off without locking all rigs to a single cab?

Cab driver for the main out is stereo if you switch off the cab button in the stack.
    For the monitor out it will only be mono either when you tick the cab off button or cause the cab button in the stack.
    Te second/alternative monitor out will always be without cab driver.
    The reason for this is processing power.

Sounds pretty good with the gain backed off and a compressor in front too! Well done.

I,m sorry for you, but Mr. Kempers sense of humor is much more cruel with the 1.61 upgrade.... ;(

I had a used car salesman tell me, after I pointed out the oil leaking all over the engine of the car he wanted to sell me, that "he liked a car that leaks oil because it proves the engine is lubricating".

So in the spirit of that bizzare logic I say, at least the 1.61 update proves updates are happening.

:P

I was wondering if anyone has successfully made profiles with the amp running into a reactive load and speaker sim like the Torpedo?

Seems like it might be convenient for getting lots of variety without having to have all the mics and cabs as well as deal with getting them positioned properly etc.

And on that tangent is it best to have the cab isolated from the guitar when profiling?

Also wondering if anyone has recorded with a profile using monitor out/no cab into the Torpedo and how was it?

I am so tempted to buy that amp because of the sounds Pete is getting in that video and I admit thinking about how it would look next to the KPA was a tiny part of the appeal. The problem is I have tweaked a couple of :13 FTR37 profiles and I'm nailing those sounds so closely that I'm afraid it would actually be a big disappointment to buy it, set it up, plug in and then realize I have spent near $1000 for absolutely nothing new or extra in my arsenal except a pretty companion for my lunchbox!

Curse you Kemper for saving me money I want to burn on gear!

:P

These :13 profiles have me loving the KPA!

I put a default compressor, slight boost in front and a room reverb on the backside of some of these and playing them through FRFR gear and I now realize that tube power amp/guitar cabs are holding me back. Especially the ones with the 421 mic, they are alive but warm not harsh at all. Fantastic sounding!

I never thought I'd be a FRFR convert but now I don't want to use anything else!

Well done! :thumbup:

Not to stir the pot, but it might be useful to mention I have used these profiles and they sound and feel amazing. YMMV but I love the profiles fremen made. He has a great ear for tone and honestly I hope he makes more.

Yea, they surprised me. After reading they were profiles of a modeler I was thinking it would be lifeless but they are pretty good, better than a lot of 'real amp' profiles I've tried.
    I wonder if they are profiled direct or played through a speaker and profiled with a mic?

Who is rmpacheco and what did he/she do to make this profile so fantastic? It has become the benchmark that I compare all others to.
    I'd love to get some tips on the profiling process...settings...volume...mic...etc. etc.

It is remarkable.
    I'm playing the profile, unchanged, through a Randall RT2/50 power amp into a 2x12 my room is filled with amp perfection.