Posts by LukeM

UPDATE May 15th.....
    So I had a friend with another FCB1010 bring his unit over (factory stock). He allowed me to install my EUREKA chip and try his controller. Result? Exact same problem.... no improvement.
    That tells me the problem people are having (ie Eureka / FCB / Kemper with random flashing LEDs) has nothing to do with the FCB1010.
    That's one less variable.

It still might be:
    - Faulty EUREKA chip
    - Fault in Kemper's Midi Out port (although Kemper absolutely denied that as a possibility).

Any ideas / progress with anyone else?

Not saying this is your problem but my eureka prom works now. If you are not aware the eureka prom will work with only 1 midi cable with no effects state. Though my connections all tested ok previously and previously were working with uno chip I retired all my connections with a better connector type and made better solder joints. Voila it's working! I would liken this to having a bad midi cable and data being corrupted. Also would like to point out kemper needed to be on first then power to fcb. It's worth a check to swap a midi cable

TNTent, Sorry I'm a little confused. Which of these are you saying?:
    1) You replaced your MIDI connectors in the FCB with a better type, and then connected a SINGLE Midi cable -- and that works as a 'outbound' single cable setup (ie no Effects state probing -- which is what is needed here)
    2) You replaced your MIDI connectors in the FCB with a better type and re-soldered, re-connected 2 Midi cables again -- and then Effects state probing worked without the flashing lights?

UPDATE.. so I opened a ticket with Kemper on the issue of the KPA to FCB1010 (w/ Eureka chip) where the Effects State Probing results in random flashing LED light activity on the FCB. Kemper support said that they have no other reported issues like this..... so it appears as though some of us have had the problem, but no issues were formally logged with Kemper.

Anyway, they suggested I move to v3.02 (from 2.70) on the Kemper followed by a System Reset (System + Rig + Quick buttons). So I did that -- and still no improvement.
    Updated Kemper support on my findings, and they have just responded:
    -------------------------
    Dear LukeM,
    As i said before-we are not aware of any problems regarding the bi-directional protocol in the Profiler. We have literally 1000s of customers that use it everyday with all kinds of pedals (FCB, Liquid etc). If I would suggest that you contact the company that makes the Eureka ship and seek their assistance.If you have a chance to try the Profiler with a different MIDI board like a Uno4kemper equipped FCB you could verify that the Profiler is not the cause of the problem.
    -------------------------
    I'm not super-surprised by Kemper's response. It's not their equipment. I don't want to purchase the Uno4Kemper, just to be able to prove the Eureka Chip was a bad investment. So that's the end of the trail for me and the Eureka / FCB I think.

NegativeZero,
    Exact same problem here with Eureka / FCB1010 / Kemper. I have one of the first (non-powered) KPAs released. When I sent Eureka (Dave Graham) an email about the problem in Feb 2015, they seemed to not really care. Their response was, 'we don't see that behavior in our testing unit, so it must be something unusual with yours'. Their recommended solutions were identical to yours. None of it worked. Purchased short midi cables, tried high quality 10 foot cables, tried power conditioners, powering-on routines, etc... nothing has worked. Dave Graham at Eureka has not contacted me with a solution in 2 months, and to be honest, I doubt they are spending time on the problem. Very disappointed in Eureka.

Due to Eureka's inability to produce a working product, I've been forced to toss the FCB1010 / Eureka and go back to my Voodoo switcher... at least it was dependable. Time and money wasted !! Aaargh! I wish I had a solution to offer you, but you are certainly not alone.