Posts by JayMitchell

Weight considerations apart, I think that at (relatively) low volume, a smaller amp can be turned up and work better than a big one at 1 or 2 (on a scale of 10)... right?

There is no benefit to "pushing" a neutral speaker (IOW, any FRFR monitor).

And especially at these low volumes I don't want to compromise sound quality.

I fully understand your interest in smaller size and lighter weight. There is, however, no compromise in sound quality in using a CLR at any volume, not matter how low.

To "desiato" - everything I have posted here is the truth. When you resort to name-calling and slander as you do here, you just make it evident just how little of substance you have to say.

To "mullassiff" - If you will click on the link I posted and actually read what I typed there, you will see that the procedure necessitates "using your ears," only in a way that will ensure you make the best choice.

Once again, I am forced to post here to correct several egregious misstatements.

1. The notion that the (non-) conclusions of the "review" have anything to do with my observations is nothing but self-serving silliness. Bad methodology is what it is regardless of the results it produces. And the result here is inconclusive anyway: all three speakers were declared equivalent, with the qualifier that one of them - which in all probability simply has a prudent amount of voltage gain - is not as "loud" (voltage gain and potential loudness are often confused) as the others.

2. I am no "fanboy" of anything, least of all the Axe-Fx. I have publicly explained certain design flaws in the unit and have been threatened privately by Cliff Chase for doing so.

3. I am not "in bed" with the moderators of any forum.

If you want to evaluate loudspeakers for use with a modeler (or "profiler"), and you truly believe your modeler is capable of producing the sounds you want, you need to use a methodical approach to identify the best loudspeaker for your purpose. Here is a link to such a methodology that I posted several years ago: http://www.setbb.com/axefx/vie…e35389c86ab0&mforum=axefx . (fifth post form the top) I posted this well before I had any interest in the loudspeaker choices made by modeler users. Like all well-founded practices, it is just as valid now as it ever was.

You should acquire actual hands-on experience with a CLR instead of offering blind speculation as fact.

That was the mission of the CLR. Based on both objective measurement and user reaction, it has successfully carried out that mission.

Keep in mind that there is ample precedent for this: a number of my sound reinforcement designs are sufficiently transparent that they have found use as studio monitors. In this regard, the CLR is no exception.

"Yep, if anyone would speak the truth of course it would be the manufactor."

I am not the "manufactor."

Before making accusations, you would be wise to verify the underlying assumptions on which they are based. Your assumptions are wrong, ergo your accusations - in addition to being patently false - are misdirected....

Because of a few misrepresentations in this thread of my positions on various issues, I registered here to clear the air. Here are a few facts:

1. I have had hands-on experience with a kpa, and I have been publicly complimentary of its sound and feel. The fact that it is not my chosen tool does not mean that I see it in a negative light.

2. Because I am not a kpa owner, it would make little sense for me to actively participate in this forum. For that matter, I do not participate in the manufacturer's forum for the modeling device that I presently use, and I do not see that device or its manufacturer in an unambiguously positive light. The point is that I am not an advocate of any specific modeling approach over any other (IOW, I am nobody's "fanboy").

3. I do not promote my designs on any public forum.

4. Neither Tom nor I have ever taken the position that the CLR is the optimum monitoring solution for everyone.

One of the participants who is making unfounded accusations in this thread does the same thing in a variety of Internet forums. He has been banned from two that I know of for this behavior, and participants in other forums have noted that he appears to have a major grudge against Tom King and myself.

Hopefully those reading this will understand that I do not intend to become an active participant here. Hopefully you will also recognize that I am uniquely qualified to answer questions about my designs, including the CLR, and that doing so is not promotion.